Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holley sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Holley sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
I bought a '72 bus last fall that has has a set of after marked dual carbs on it. I've only driven it about 5 miles so far because I hate the way it drives with the carbs and the warm up procedure because it has no chokes. I had originally intended on converting it to fuel injection from a later bay, I have an entire set-up from a '77.
I have been reading up on the Holley Sniper and am really impressed with what I've seen. I like that there is so much packed into that throttle body. The ECM, MAP sensor, injectors, intake air temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator, idle control, throttle position are all right there in one piece. All you need to do is hook up an oxygen sensor, and a couple wires. The right now is only $804 and it comes with a Bosch wide-band oxygen sensor, temp sensor, and the touch screen display that is also used to set it up with your engine.
I'm not sure how well this will work with the bus engine particularly when it's cold outside being that it is a throttle body injection but I'm willing to give it a shot. I just ordered one and will see what I can do with it.
I'll be using one of those aftermarket intake manifolds for the single carbs to mount it. I'll need to add a high pressure fuel pump and a return to my fuel tank as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm not sure why this past topic was moved. I'm should be starting this project next month.

Last edited by xoo00oox on Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

Here's some info for us to refer to in case it gets lost.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

I will be curious to hear how it does with the long runners for good fuel mixture all the way out to the cyls.
Will be interesting.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

don't know why it got moved....but

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9712307#9712307

and of course i went and stirred the shit again Rolling Eyes

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

So, obviously I've never done the mod but I'm pretty skeptical about basically mounting a TBI system on a type 4 engine because of the long, cold intake runners. They work OK on V8's but I have to think it would be a lot like a center carb.

I hope I'm wrong and would love to see how it turns out! Best of luck with it!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

I've run a center progressive on long runners on my Baja bug for YEeeeeaaars.

it runs fine, it idles fine it's never iced up, though admittedly I don't drive it in the snow and cold. well.. around the yard but that doesn't count.

you can see it peeking out here..

in general it will be better than the OEM 72-74 dual carbs.. well than nearing 50yr old carbs.. even if rebuilt.

proper oem this and that.. blahh blahh blahh.

in 'general' IT WILL BE FINE with a single center mount carb.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
So, obviously I've never done the mod but I'm pretty skeptical about basically mounting a TBI system on a type 4 engine because of the long, cold intake runners. They work OK on V8's but I have to think it would be a lot like a center carb.

I hope I'm wrong and would love to see how it turns out! Best of luck with it!

What is wrong with the center carb? Run one for many 100 of thousands of miles. Starts easy and get good gas mileage and has no dead spot coming off idle. The cold runner theory mainly comes from people who don't know enough about these carbs to make them work.

I have posted several easy mods over the years to get these carbs to function, manifold heat isn't much required but heated intake air will noticeably help. Mainly, with or without manifold and intake air heat, you just need the carb to not go lean as it transitions from the idle system to the main system and there are several ways to easily accomplish this.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

Glad you got yours dialed. Many carbed vehicles/machines with long intake runners have inherent problems that need to be overcome. (Condensation, ice, distribution..) I'm curious to see how the mod works out!

Love the Baja bug in the snow! That's great!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
don't know why it got moved....but

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9712307#9712307

and of course i went and stirred the shit again Rolling Eyes
because some people are threatened by a truthful statement. Don't tell someone the world is round if they believe it is flat. So when this Holley FI is hooked up and it works well, there will be more believers.

Last edited by SGKent on Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

You should talk to Lowbugget.

The Holley is a nice system. It has a lot of fans. All air cooled engines can benefit greatly from a wideband closed-loop EFI system that's properly tuned.

It would pair nicely with a 123 Bluetooth distributor.

That said, your challenge with this system will be the same as with any set up on a Type 4 that introduces fuel at a central point. There's a reason they fitted dual carbs and Jetronic with the injectors where they are. It's problematic otherwise.

Honestly, finding a solution that re-used the factory manifolds and air plenum... retaining the injector positions... and then running a throttle body with it's own TPS and IAT sensors... would be better. You can just run a MAP off a vacuum line...or a MAF if you're into that sort of thing, but that will just add more complexity. There is an Ahnendorp EFI system that machines the stock throttle body to add a TPS (and perhaps more)... then takes over control of the injectors with a new ECU (that I believe introduces a MAP sensor in the ECU case, as well)... but IMO it's "too" expensive. But it does look almost 100% stock and can support most reasonable custom engine configurations.

I would hate to steer you towards Megasquirt when you're looking at a simple highly "packaged" system like the Holley Sniper... (MS is amazing, however...)

I have also thought about this same conversion you are working through....

I'd like to find something appropriate and simple, as well.

They have dual 4bbl Sniper EFI kits ... wonder if there would be a way to run dual Sniper 1bbls .. that would be cool on a VW. Like EFI Holley Kadron esque.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

So.....control wise.....the Holly Sniper TB "seems" to have it all in one sock right?

I mean....map, fuel pressure, throttle position etc.....all in the TB. Those can exist there with few problems on a center mounted TB.

So......why not just just mount the HS throttle body on a central plenum adapter like others use with center mounted carbs.....using the stock runners. Then.... disconect the injector that the Sniper TB has......and run the input to a batch fire set of iniectors in the original ports?

Between the wideband in the exhaust and the tweak ability of the aystem you should be wblr to balance the AFR.

Do we think the system or the TB actually knows where the inkector(s) are mounted? Wink

I would think that the inkector(s) mounted in the TB have enougj volume to feed four cylinders.....do we think the system cares whether it gets that fuel volume from one big one or four small ones?

There may be a series reaistance issue or not.

Ray
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

So......why not just just mount the HS throttle body on a central plenum adapter like others use with center mounted carbs.....using the stock runners. Then.... disconect the injector that the Sniper TB has......and run the input to a batch fire set of iniectors in the original ports?
Ray

^^My thoughts exactly.^^

L-Jet fires batch, and there's always a way around resistance..

What’s That Noise?!?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

^^My thoughts exactly.^^

L-Jet fires batch, and there's always a way around resistance..

I've had the same thoughts too, I've mentioned before that I wish they offered port injection as an option with this unit. I still want to just see how it performs as a throttle body injection.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

I'll bet Holley would play ball with this unit is it works as a center unit and someone presented a what-if to them. The worst case scenario would be to add an additional circuit that is triggered by the current injector pulse. I would wager that there are enough buses that would install it to make it a viable option. If CARB has already approved it for California then it is also possible one might even be able to use it on buses here in lieu of L-jet. I have nothing against L-jet, just see this as a possible option to folks that are tired of dealing with progressive problems.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751894
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

I ordered and paid for this thing in the middle of July, after not hearing from them I emailed them and was told it would be in August. That date passes and no word from them I emailed them again, now it will be October 15, then October 18. I have not heard anything from them so I emailed them yesterday and just now am getting this reply....

Hello,

We apologize for the shipping delay. As of today, the next estimated shipping date is 12/24/21.

They had no problem taking my money back in July and they make no effort to update me on things rather they just wait for me to contact them when it does not show up.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

perhaps you should consider the GM Rochester 2GC Holley ... it's available to ship immediately .. may perform better ..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...;_osacat=0
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
perhaps you should consider the GM Rochester 2GC Holley ... it's available to ship immediately .. may perform better ..

It is $600 more than the one I wanted.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
metahacker wrote:

hmm
i see $850 on the autolite 1100 (the one pictured in your post) --
and $1100 on the rochester

perhaps i am missing something?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Holly sniper as a replacement for type4 dual carbs or stock EFI Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
metahacker wrote:

hmm
i see $850 on the autolite 1100 (the one pictured in your post) --
and $1100 on the rochester

Ooops, I was looking at $800 for the 1100 and $1400 for the other one, I was looking at the wrong one.

perhaps i am missing something?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: