Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dent repair cracked paint
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EODTECH*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: dent repair cracked paint Reply with quote

Some a**hole let or pushed a shopping into my right front fender.

There was a small dent...but enough that it was noticeable and I don't like that. Especially since this resto took 2 1/2 years to complete.

I buffed out the scuff, but it seemed to highlight the dent even more. The dent had to come out. It was massaged out professionally, but they did warn me that it may crack the paint.

It did.

They showed me where the crack was, and although you can't see it, you can definitely feel the ridge of the crack a the top.

Is there any product that can help me smooth out this crack...or am I looking at having to have it repainted by the original restorer? (CHING, CHING!!!)

Thanks.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: dent repair cracked paint Reply with quote

Live with it, or repaint it....

The other issue is the crack is now exposing surfaces under the paint for dirt/moisture to get in. You could see if you could get some color/clear to mix up, and try to get some in the crack with a squeegee to at least seal it up.

People have no respect for anyone else’s stuff. I park in corner spots hugging the curb out in the back 40 of the parking lot. I’ve even taken pictures of vehicle’s plates parked beside me that look suspicious. There are multi view cameras that have parking motion detection options with them, but I haven’t gotten around to getting one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EODTECH*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: dent repair cracked paint Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Live with it, or repaint it....

The other issue is the crack is now exposing surfaces under the paint for dirt/moisture to get in. You could see if you could get some color/clear to mix up, and try to get some in the crack with a squeegee to at least seal it up.

People have no respect for anyone else’s stuff. I park in corner spots hugging the curb out in the back 40 of the parking lot. I’ve even taken pictures of vehicle’s plates parked beside me that look suspicious. There are multi view cameras that have parking motion detection options with them, but I haven’t gotten around to getting one.

My restorer...took a look at it today...said..."I told you to just leave it. Don't massage it out...cuz...this is what happens." He's now pissed off that I did it...and doesn't want to do the job. (Feather or completely repaint.) "Too busy, no time." Whatever.

But he did tell me to very carefully fill-in/cover the cracks (very minute) w/super glue. Did that dried clear...no one could find the cracks.

I'm guessing I will have to let it fully cure, then try waxing over top of that.

And as far as parking goes...for me...it doesn't matter where I park. There WILL BE...an asshole w/a POS pick-up...who ALWAYS parks beside me...even IF...I parked in the back 40 of the lot...and there's thousands of other places he could have parked. NOPE...RIGHT next my Typ 1. Of course they only do it to piss you off. They know why you parked way back there all by yerself. Nope...they just want yer pucker factor to skyrocket when you walk out of the building and see the only other POS vehicle is parked almost up against yours. Rest of the lot is totally empty.

I have one of those motion-activated detector cameras in my GTI. When I got the quid...I will get one for the Typ 1.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: dent repair cracked paint Reply with quote

Sorry man, that blows, and I totally agree. And, as an owner of a biggish truck, I always park between empty slots to avoid door dings. I am a huge target in a standard parking slot, so I just try to stay away from everything else. But- as you also lament, many times I return to my truck to find some bozo parked their RAV4 close enough to me to require a can opener.

People can just be total dicks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: