Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JD's first car 1968 Baja Beetle - Full Build/Resto
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: JD's first car 1968 Baja Beetle - Full Build/Resto Reply with quote

Seems time that we start a thread for my son's Baja Build. We bought a 1968 baja basket case a couple years back. As he gets closer to driving age, his work ethic seems to be kicking into high gear Razz Wink

Anyway, this was the latest achievement.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Panhead bottom panel and Napoleon Hat and both pans have been replaced.

Man, Seam Sealer and POR-15 hide a lot ugly!!!!! Razz Razz Razz Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: JD's first car 1968 Baja Beetle - Full Build/Resto Reply with quote

Nice!
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: JD's first car 1968 Baja Beetle - Full Build/Resto Reply with quote

He managed to compete the cleaning and wire wheeling on the bottom of the pan yesterday and it got the same treatment.

Looks like we are off to the shop this morning to start working on Pedals and the Front Beam. We have THING spindles and arms to swap onto the stock beam. Hoping to keep it as "stock" as possible, while getting a little lift.

I am curious if its necessary/smart to do any gusseting on this beam. This is NOT a car that will be jumping sand dunes or running the Baja 1000. Thoughts?

...to be clear, I (dad) have a bad habit of "going all in" and wanting to build a race car. I am doing my best to remind myself that this will be a daily driver (for a kid) and it does not need long travel suspension and a big ol' nasty turbo stroker!
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: JD's first car 1968 Baja Beetle - Full Build/Resto Reply with quote

Love seeing bug builds. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like maybe something in the middle of a race car and a stockish baja may work for you. Nothing wrong with gussets no matter what.

porkchop-rob wrote:
He managed to compete the cleaning and wire wheeling on the bottom of the pan yesterday and it got the same treatment.

Looks like we are off to the shop this morning to start working on Pedals and the Front Beam. We have THING spindles and arms to swap onto the stock beam. Hoping to keep it as "stock" as possible, while getting a little lift.

I am curious if its necessary/smart to do any gusseting on this beam. This is NOT a car that will be jumping sand dunes or running the Baja 1000. Thoughts?

...to be clear, I (dad) have a bad habit of "going all in" and wanting to build a race car. I am doing my best to remind myself that this will be a daily driver (for a kid) and it does not need long travel suspension and a big ol' nasty turbo stroker!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: