Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Westy Barn Find
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

OK, so this happened...
A couple of weeks ago I decided to check out the local coffee and cars. Pulled my bus in next to an older gentleman sitting in front of his 28 Buick Coupe and we struck up a conversation. Pretty soon he nods at my 67 Westy and says,
"I go to church with a gal that has one of them things in her barn and she needs to sell it".
Shocked
As I picture myself pulling a dusty, straw-covered tarp off a pristine 23 window, I calmly reply,
"Oh? What year is it?"
"Don't know, but it's got one of them things sticks outa the top like yours has".
Mental image shifting to a pristine SO 42, or???
"Well, sure. I might have a look".
So we exchange info and I wander off, doubting I would ever hear from anyone. But the next day this lady calls and I must confess I had one of those kissing-your-sister moments when she told me her "van" was a 74. (Sorry, late Bay fans. But read on- I am now one of you Smile )
Ten miles from my house- I figured, what the hack- I'll go have a look. And here is what I found:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An original paint, rust free, Sage green 78 (not 74) Westy with its ass end up in the air, ready to receive the rebuilt engine and transmission sitting on the floor next to it, covered with an old plastic table cloth. Shocked Shocked
Needless to say, negotiations began at once, but only after I convinced her that her "van" (sorry, I won't say that again) was not nearly as desirable as "those VWs she'd seen sell for lots of money on TV." Thank you very little, Barrett Jackson...
So I spent most of my Labor Day weekend extracting my new acquisition form the spot it had occupied for the last 15 years. This was no easy task because her late husband had added a carport roof to the end of the barn where the bus was parked, then put siding along the carport. Loaded:

At home, pre-bath:

and post bath:

Only wrinkle in the deal is the interior:

I can live with the Vanagon front seats but sure would prefer year-appropriate stove/sink unit. So if any of you guys have any of that stuff laying around...

So, I've got my winter project lined up. Feeling a little overwhelmed, tho- not sure where to start!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Wow great find!!!!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Love hearing these stories!! Dancing
Great discovery, OkieBus!
That's one of my top two favorite colors, (along with brilliant orange).

Keep lookin' for more.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Dayum!, nice score! That's much more functional than any of the models you imagined it may have been.

I have some cabinets here, but I'm a little out of the way, watch the classifieds for campers being parted, the furniture doesn't rust and isn't hard to find. I'd keep the Vanagon front seats and reupholster in plaid myself, that's a nice upgrade.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Wow, wow, wow, that's a great story and even better find! Something we all dream of I think. Looks forward to watching the progress. Very Happy Cool
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Yes, I was just in the right place to hear about it, I guess. So, the rest of the story is this: when the seller met, married, then moved in with her late husband, this bus was in the same spot- 15 years ago! Meaning, the drive train rebuild was done that long ago.
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2215704.jpg[/
Now, I'm not an expert on engines (can take em out and put em in but never really tore into one- but am in awe of all you guys that do). So, any issues you might anticipate? I did turn it over with no problem. And pulled the plugs (looked brand new) and poured a little Marvel juice in each cylinder... Also, I'm hearing from my VW buds that I should ditch the fuel injection and go carb. Thoughts?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

OkieBus wrote:
... Also, I'm hearing from my VW buds that I should ditch the fuel injection and go carb. Thoughts?

You might want to reconsider who you hang out with.

Any receipts for the engine build?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

here is what a real barn find is Laughing

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Wow, the first thing to do is pat yourself on the back. Next thing is to thank your lucky stars. Third thing to do is what you’re doing and that is coming to us for advice.

Sorry but your engine pic link doesn’t work for me. As far as ditching the fuel injection I’m doubtful that you should do that. I need more info and pics.

You are in good hands but now it’s up to you whether you want to draw for our knowledge well or not.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

First thing I’d do is ditch those tires and buy these.

Hankook RA 18 Vantra 185r14
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Beautiful Westy. I agree with you on the interior, but who cares. Swap that out over time and enjoy it. Two doors down from me lives an old woman in her 80’s with her late husbands 55-57 T-Bird buried under piles of crap in her garage. Trying to figure out how to make that my ‘barn find.’ Super jealous of your Bus, good luck.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Great find!. Once in 2008 scored a 78 transporter-- with just surface rust that sanded out-- at a garage sell for $800.

heres your engine pic

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

i assume you looked up, down, and around for the og seats and cabinets, right? VW people dont throw anything away. they are prob up in the hay loft.
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

OK Guys... No receipts of any kind...SG Kent- I'm a veterinarian but I've never heard of a Snorkling Terrier...Aeromech- Yes, tires have to go! It amazed me that the ones on it are still holding air after one week... And I've always told people that, no matter what job you're starting, you need the tools (which I have), the motivation (which I have), the time (which I have- sort of), and the knowledge- which is why I'm here! Finally- Yes, I even went back and scoured the barn again but to no avail- other than finding the camper table...
More engine pics:

So, if I'm correct, this is a two liter with hydraulic lifters?

OK I updated the teeny tiny engine pics. Trying t0o show you guys all the stuff I got with this rig...

Last edited by OkieBus on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Oops! Sorry about the teeny pics. Will try to fix...
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

I’m curious about the side marker lights/reflectors - I’ve never seen this type before? Are those stock? European? Also, what about your side view mirrors?

Congrats on a great bus find.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Universal trailer and RV lights from the FLAPS.

Слава Україні!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Very cool Barn find !!!
The days of finding a Split Bus Barn find are pretty well over, but the Bay's are still out there.
My Last Bay Barn find in 2013:

I always listen to ANY stories that folks are willing to tell when it comes to old Vws in Barns/Garages/Sheds ect., if you go look at ten, and come home w/one Vw, your doing well.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

good job on the table find. hope it was in good shape. they are not cheap to replace
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

I was curious about those side lights myself. Bus Daddy- please elaborate... What is FLAPS?
Also was wondering about the propane setup. Every other 78 I've seen has that positioned under the slider...
Also BD- you'll be relieved to know I've reconsidered the FI and I plan on keeping it. After inventorying everything it appears all that's missing is the distributor cap, plug wires, injectors, and one side mirror. I'm sure there's another box of stuff somewhere... Also located a very helpful UTube video of a guy pulling a 78 engine to replace a clutch. If I can figure out how to play it backwards I should be in good shape Smile .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: