Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catadromous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just got my first bus and finding my way around. It's a 68 Westfalia in great overall condition. Single port 1600cc (I think anyhow, has an AB Engine # and there was a rebuild in 1982 after #3 burned valve... not too many miles on it since then, maybe 20,000? Most recent owner just replaced cylinders and pistons).

I found some strange wear on the topside of the actual body of the #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm, like it was rubbing on something. Someone shimmed the end there with two fat washers, everywhere else has the stock washers and wavy/spring washers. There's not any wear on the Exhaust valve spring or on the nearby bolt or anywhere that I can see. I also remember that I couldn't really get the feeler gauge in there while I was adjusting the valves, I ended up backing the adjustment screw all the way into the rocker arm. I guess that means the valve is sitting too high for some reason?

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Brandon

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

it looks like that rocker spent some time rubbing on a head stud that was sticking up too far. or was clearanced to avoid that situation. i'd be just as concerned with that adjuster screw. why does that spring retainer look different from the rest? gonna need some pics of that valve stem end and adjuster screw face.

you have a problem with that valve and/or it's seat.
don't run it in this state.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

That's grinder work on the arm and washers, can't figure out why though, access to retorque heads without removing the rocker maybe?, savage!

Mighty clean in there, like it's somewhat fresh, but why is that valve up like that?, some deeper investigation now might save a catastrophic even later.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

You need a new engine. Where do you live?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catadromous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

Okay, photo time. Thanks for your help everyone : )

borninabus wrote:
why does that spring retainer look different from the rest? gonna need some pics of that valve stem end and adjuster screw face.

All the adjuster screws are pretty worn, but #1 Exhaust has pitting also.

These are the valve stem ends, they look pretty good to me? I think it is the same spring retainer, just different lighting.

Interestingly, I did peak up at the studs behind the head and noticed some scoring on the lower rightmost stud closest to the valve in question, almost like it was spinning and wore on the outside of the cylinder.

Here are the rocker assemblies. Passenger's side:

Driver's side (those rocker arms are kinda stuck, don't want to slide off):

busdaddy wrote:
That's grinder work on the arm and washers, can't figure out why though, access to retorque heads without removing the rocker maybe?, savage!

Yeah, my buddy remarked, "That's a real custom job." Very Happy

aeromech wrote:
You need a new engine. Where do you live?

Lol, please don't say that. In southwest Colorado. I was hoping I could make this engine work. But yeah, I figured that might be the case when I bought it.

Compression is good in all cylinders (120, 120, 115ish, 120). The last owner was having trouble with compression which was why he put in the new piston and cylinder kit. But when I got it, the distributor cap was on backwards, spark plugs were barely torqued, lots of loose electrical connections. Vacuum advance wasn't hooked up. Thermostat is long gone (it had the crazy Bowden cable with a spring on the end) but from what I can tell the cooling flaps aren't even wired open, just free flapping... it just makes me wonder if I'm going to keep discovering new things that need to be fixed. But it wasn't run very much since then either... so maybe nothing is too screwed up.

The rest of the vehicle is beautiful, sat in a garage for many years apparently. So yeah, just trying to figure out whether I should sink a lot of time and money into this engine or just start with a clean slate. I haven't done a lot of work on engines but I'm learning a lot and I enjoy it, it makes sense.

The bus. She's a beaut.

Anyway, thanks all,

Brandon
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

or someone removed the stud and replaced it with Vise grips. That stud may have pulled and the case & stud were not repaired properly. Those appear to be the older style studs. The case and heads may have been cut too. I would be concerned that someone just tossed that engine together however they could to get it going. There is a lot of that which goes around with flippers selling buses.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

You need a new engine, sorry. But you do.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
You need a new engine, sorry. But you do.

Are you selling engines now Gary? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

I am going with the previous owner or mechanic ground the rocker down before realizing the stud was backed out But then tightened the stud.
Maybe just get some solid rocker shafts for it. "Scat" are nice. And or maybe better yet get some good swivel adjusters too. PS Because that one adjuster is all the way out you will probably need at least .060 or .080 shims under the rocker arms plus grind the arms back so the swivel adjusters will fit.
One more thing. Sometimes a exhaust valve seat starts to pound into the cylinder head and the valve will keep needing adjusted further out to maintain the clearance needed. Better just bolt it together and adjust the valves first and drive it another 1500-3000 miles to see if the adjustment is holding, If not get the head rebuilt then install the Solid Rocker Shafts and swivel adjusters. Swivel adjusters prolong the life of valve guides.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I am going with the previous owner or mechanic ground the rocker down before realizing the stud was backed out But then tightened the stud.
Maybe just get some solid rocker shafts for it. "Scat" are nice. And or maybe better yet get some good swivel adjusters too. PS Because that one adjuster is all the way out you will probably need at least .060 or .080 shims under the rocker arms plus grind the arms back so the swivel adjusters will fit.
One more thing. Sometimes a exhaust valve seat starts to pound into the cylinder head and the valve will keep needing adjusted further out to maintain the clearance needed. Better just bolt it together and adjust the valves first and drive it another 1500-3000 miles to see if the adjustment is holding, If not get the head rebuilt.

great guess as to what happened. Made me think of the TV Series from the 50's - "You Are There."

Last edited by SGKent on Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

Those look like original rockers, and the head studs seem to be poking out a lot…

Do the head studs torque up to 18 foot pounds?

The arm and wave washer look to have been “machined” the same amount, so either a human or an architectural issue did this. Question is, did it happen on the current build, or the last one?

How does it drive? Does it make odd noises?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Those look like original rockers, and the head studs seem to be poking out a lot…

The arm and wave washer look to have been “machined” the same amount, so either a human or an architectural issue did this. Question is, did it happen on the current build, or the last one?

just plllummmm berip berip plummmmb berip occasionally. What causes that? Laughing
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

I’m in the market which says you need a new engine. Sure, I guess someone could come along and install the rocker arm geometry correctly but what about the head studs pulling. You’re going to throw bandaids on a tramma wound hoping that the blessing stops long enough to reach the hospital.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

what Gary is saying is that if you are going to enjoy a VW bus you don't want to be worrying about breaking down 350 miles from home.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

Yes torque the other head bolts that you can reach under the valve cover before putting it back together. If they torque ok all will be good. What 25 foot lbs?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

What Gary is saying is you have a 1982 rebuild. Then a recent piston cylinder swap and really poor workmanship including rocker arm geometry.

Best to find a quality long block rebuilder and start down the right tract with you new bus so you can just enjoy it
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

There is one other possibility.
The rocker could be shifting off the valve to one side!

catadromous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

All the studs were torqued properly... they are 10mm, I tightened them to 23 ft*lbs as I found in the Bentley manual, though they didn't need much. It drives great, though it lacked some power on the uphill probably from not being timed correctly, bad gas, no vacuum advance, and some other stuff. I've fixed all that, need to get insurance, registration etc., and get it up to highway speed and see.

SGKent wrote:
or someone removed the stud and replaced it with Vise grips. That stud may have pulled and the case & stud were not repaired properly. Those appear to be the older style studs. The case and heads may have been cut too. I would be concerned that someone just tossed that engine together however they could to get it going. There is a lot of that which goes around with flippers selling buses.

Ah yes, that seems likely. The studs seem pretty long although I have no basis for comparison. Maybe whoever rebuilt the engine mixed them up. I'm concerned for sure, just not sure what to do about it. I could take the engine apart, but would I even know a problem if I saw it? Still learning a lot. Or I can try and fix problems as they arise.

Danwvw wrote:
One more thing. Sometimes a exhaust valve seat starts to pound into the cylinder head and the valve will keep needing adjusted further out to maintain the clearance needed. Better just bolt it together and adjust the valves first and drive it another 1500-3000 miles to see if the adjustment is holding, If not get the head rebuilt then install the Solid Rocker Shafts and swivel adjusters. Swivel adjusters prolong the life of valve guides.

There are already shims in there, on both sides. I ordered a new rocker arm, and in the meantime I ground the existing arm enough to so I can adjust the valves, drive it gently and see how it goes. I have a solid rocker shaft already but it won't fit right now because the studs contact the spacer on it. If things feel good I can figure out the stud problem later when I drop the engine.

So I guess, what's the takeaway? Either the valve or the pushrod is too high, that's why I'm out of room?

aeromech wrote:
I’m in the market which says you need a new engine. Sure, I guess someone could come along and install the rocker arm geometry correctly but what about the head studs pulling. You’re going to throw bandaids on a tramma wound hoping that the blessing stops long enough to reach the hospital.

aeromech wrote:
What Gary is saying is you have a 1982 rebuild. Then a recent piston cylinder swap and really poor workmanship including rocker arm geometry.

Best to find a quality long block rebuilder and start down the right tract with you new bus so you can just enjoy it

Lol. You're probably right, but since I have more time than money at the moment, I'll nurse this one along. If it dies, I'll be in the market for a new engine. Also I'll get a AAA membership : )

I spoke with the last owner again, he drove it much less than I thought, it's only been driven around 5,000 miles since the rebuild, and I've no reason to distrust either him or the owner before that. So the mechanic who did the rebuild maybe didn't do such a good job, and I should be aware that the last owner put it back together in a hurry.

Thanks all for the advice everyone. Hoping to be on here quite a bit.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

Hot damn, you’re in Pagosa Springs which is super close to Durango. We have a Type 1 expert living in Durango who has the hook up with a great mechanic there. Contact Rich Parker.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

catadromous wrote:
Driver's side (those rocker arms are kinda stuck, don't want to slide off):

DON'T force them off! If you do, you will gouge the inside surface of the rocker arm bearing area. Push them towards the shaft center, then take an oil stone and remove the burr around the rocker shaft mounting holes. The burr is from pounding the rocker shaft assemblies onto the studs. When properly deburred, solvent washed, and oiled, the rockers should slide easily off the shafts.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: