Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

Here is my thoughts. Your engine pulled that head stud. Engine will still run this way and the rocker arms rubbed and wore against the pulled stud sticking out til it was discovered. The rocker was removed and stripped stud removed and replaced with one of the self taping repair studs. This explains why you see the spinning marks on the stud from it rubbing on cylinder while being screwed back into that case.

Those self taping repair studs DO work but are usually just a band aid on a case with problems usually from overheating. Eventually you may see more studs pulling, even the ones repaired. Most folks will do case savers but they are not a fail safe either in extreme circumstances. Then you need to replace the case.

Then next guy buys it replaces the heads and P-Cs as you mentioned. More then likely rebuilt-fly cut heads which is throwing your valve train geometry off now with rockers-adjusters. I would correct that with shims under the rockers of proper height and drive for now. But keep an eye on things under there. Do valve adjustments regularly and watch those lower head nuts-studs for signs of pulling or looseness
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catadromous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Hot damn, you’re in Pagosa Springs which is super close to Durango. We have a Type 1 expert living in Durango who has the hook up with a great mechanic there. Contact Rich Parker.

Awesome! Thank you very much, I definitely will : )
catadromous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:
Here is my thoughts. Your engine pulled that head stud. Engine will still run this way and the rocker arms rubbed and wore against the pulled stud sticking out til it was discovered. The rocker was removed and stripped stud removed and replaced with one of the self taping repair studs. This explains why you see the spinning marks on the stud from it rubbing on cylinder while being screwed back into that case.

Those self taping repair studs DO work but are usually just a band aid on a case with problems usually from overheating. Eventually you may see more studs pulling, even the ones repaired. Most folks will do case savers but they are not a fail safe either in extreme circumstances. Then you need to replace the case.

Then next guy buys it replaces the heads and P-Cs as you mentioned. More then likely rebuilt-fly cut heads which is throwing your valve train geometry off now with rockers-adjusters. I would correct that with shims under the rockers of proper height and drive for now. But keep an eye on things under there. Do valve adjustments regularly and watch those lower head nuts-studs for signs of pulling or looseness

Wow, this is some detective work, thanks! It certainly could have been running hot from the missing engine tin, lack of spark plug covers, the missing thermostat and cooling flaps that weren't wired open, and probably bad timing / valve adjustments as well.

The last owner didn't replace the heads, as I understand, just had them "machined".

I'll keep an eye on things frequently. Crossing my fingers.
catadromous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Topside Wear on #1 Exhaust Rocker Arm Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
catadromous wrote:
Driver's side (those rocker arms are kinda stuck, don't want to slide off):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DON'T force them off! If you do, you will gouge the inside surface of the rocker arm bearing area. Push them towards the shaft center, then take an oil stone and remove the burr around the rocker shaft mounting holes. The burr is from pounding the rocker shaft assemblies onto the studs. When properly deburred, solvent washed, and oiled, the rockers should slide easily off the shafts.

Roger, thanks for the tip : )
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: