Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

I've been seriously considering a Type 181 lately. I've liked them for years and years, and now I'm seriously considering finally pulling the trigger on a purchase.

However, according to this review the 181's driving position is not just awkward, but verging on terrible. Is this genuinely a problem that 181 drivers simply chalk up to quirky vintage VW character?

The fellow in the video seems kind of tall, perhaps 6' or more, with a lot of that being long legs; perhaps this is what puts him into such contortions in the 181 driver's seat?

He specifically states there's not enough leg room underneath the ridiculously low position of the steering wheel and the foot pedals are placed ridiculously far off center of the driver so that both feet are ridiculously off kilter in trying to operate said pedals.

I myself am only 5' 8" tall, with a 30" inseam, so definitely not a tall fellow. Maybe I would not find the cockpit and driving position of a 181 to be awkward?

Link

Last edited by nicholastanguma on Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

I drove my '74 from Detroit to LA (and back) in the year I turned 65, and I am a big palooka; 5'10" / 240.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

Have you ever driven a Beetle? It’s the same as a Beetle except for having more shoulder room.

Yes, as a taller person, I find it necessary to reposition the seat tracks on most VWs about 3” rearward to get more legroom.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

Could have something to do with being a left hand drive car being evaluated by a driver in a predominantly right hand drive country.

Other than that, the driving position is a non factor. Orange 181
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I drove my '74 from Detroit to LA (and back) in the year I turned 65, and I am a big palooka; 5'10" / 240.

The reviewer specifically states there's not enough leg room underneath the ridiculously low position of the steering wheel and the foot pedals are placed ridiculously far off center of the driver so that both feet are ridiculously off kilter in trying to operate said pedals.

You haven't found these criticisms to be true in your case?
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Have you ever driven a Beetle? It’s the same as a Beetle except for having more shoulder room.

Yes, as a taller person, I find it necessary to reposition the seat tracks on most VWs about 3” rearward to get more legroom.

The reviewer specifically states there's not enough leg room underneath the ridiculously low position of the steering wheel and the foot pedals are placed ridiculously far off center of the driver so that both feet are ridiculously off kilter in trying to operate said pedals.

nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
Could have something to do with being a left hand drive car being evaluated by a driver in a predominantly right hand drive country.

Other than that, the driving position is a non factor. Orange 181

HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

I'm 6'4, long legged and have no issues with pedals. I did however install a smaller diameter steering wheel for ease of egress.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

nicholastanguma wrote:

None of these petty criticisms amount to anything close to a "deal breaker".

No air cooled VW will provide the level of comfort or convenience that a modern car can, but that's not the point.

Things are perfect for drive-in movies, cruising for burgers or ice cream, and without a doubt... Nothing beats a Thing road trip!

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

Thank you all, gents!
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

Don't believe everything you read...
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
Don't believe everything you read...

Eh? Okay, kinda cryptic. Are you saying the responses I've received are filtered too much through rose colored glasses, and the Thing's foot pedal position does indeed create torment for the driver's feet, and the steering wheel position is indeed too low for anyone but a midget?

Last edited by nicholastanguma on Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

Good lord man! I'm telling you the guy who made the video gave you his opinion and in my opinion he is full of crap! No more no less... it's an old saying. I guess I could say don't believe everything you watch...
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
Good lord man! I'm telling you the guy who made the video gave you his opinion and in my opinion he is full of crap! No more no less... it's an old saying. I guess I could say don't believe everything you watch...

No need to be so grumpy. Yes, you should have typed "watch" instead of "read." Nonetheless, thank you for your opinion concerning my original question.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

I cut a couple of extra notches in the seat rails so I can slide the seat back a bit further. I'm 6'5" and about to turn 69 and have no problems with the sitting position.

The worst car I have ever driven as far as seating was a Ford T-bird I got as a rental 20ish years ago. It was plain torture on a long drive. I have also had a couple of other Ford rentals that were bad in one way or another though not as bad as the T-bird.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

I'm 6'2", 77 years old, and I have no problem with the driving position. It requires a little 'pre planning' to get in, under the wheel, but other than that, it's fine.

BNMike
pallettman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

I'm 6'1, 220 and 69 years old. Aside from having to fold and unfold myself to get in the darn thing, my only complaint is there is no good place to put your left foot. Around town it is not a problem since you are constantly shifting. But on a longer run, it can get a little uncomfortable for your left foot, especially if you have duckboards.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

I'm 6'3" and 72 yo 218 lbs with a damaged left leg/knee. I had to replace the rear section of the pans and used The Thing Shop's
seat tracks which I welded further back about an inch. Also converted to a smaller 13.5" steering wheel and a 2" extension which
aided getting in and out greatly. Once I'm in there's enough room and feels comfortable to me.

88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:
I'm 6'3" and 72 yo 218 lbs with a damaged left leg/knee. I had to replace the rear section of the pans and used The Thing Shop's
seat tracks which I welded further back about an inch. Also converted to a smaller 13.5" steering wheel and a 2" extension which
aided getting in and out greatly. Once I'm in there's enough room and feels comfortable to me.

Quite helpful, thanks for taking the time to post pics!
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

Well, I'll say it as sweetly as I can...buy the car if you want. You will have no problems, in my opinion, if you are indeed 5'8 and 30 inch inseam as you stated. Very Happy (even a smiley face).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: