Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Shock Replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: 67 Shock Replacement Reply with quote

I have a question. I removed the old shocks on the front of my 67 beetle. My question is, does the bushing on the bottom mount supposed to come off with the shock? I have posted photos of the old shock, the new shock, and the bottom mount. The bushing in the new shock does not fit over the mount in its current condition.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Shock Replacement Reply with quote

It looks like the old shock bushing is still (seized?) on the mount bolt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Shock Replacement Reply with quote

So, that is indeed a bushing and not part of the lower mount. If it is, it is definitely seized. Any suggestions on freeing it up?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Shock Replacement Reply with quote

1 Soak it with yout favorite soaking fluid.
2 cut it with a dremel tool carefully
3 lots of four letter words like pull

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Shock Replacement Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
So, that is indeed a bushing and not part of the lower mount. If it is, it is definitely seized. Any suggestions on freeing it up?

All of what gt1953 said. Maybe invent some new words on item #3.

Item #4, Heat!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Shock Replacement Reply with quote

Just score it lengthwise, at an angle, with a Dremel or hacksaw. Then get a hammer and chisel, or your favorite beat up screwdriver and hit it where you scored the bushing and peel it off like an orange. Also use some spray or heat. Should not be that difficult.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Shock Replacement Reply with quote

In my experience, when you have a shock sleeve stuck to the mounting stud, you use an air chisel applied at an outward angle.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Shock Replacement Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
In my experience, when you have a shock sleeve stuck to the mounting stud, you use an air chisel applied at an outward angle.

Same idea, I was just going with more common tools in case he wasn't set up with a compressor and attachments.
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Shock Replacement Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I got it off. Propane torch, vice grips, and a ball peen hammer.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: