Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

I've been looking around for a while and finally decided to it was time to start a project. Found a 1971 Super Beetle a couple hours from home and took a look. Towed it home behind a VW Atlas and got things set up. She runs and looked mechanically sound, although I've seen what could be hidden under layers of paint on other people's builds. Started work right away with the goal being a complete teardown and rebuild. Can't wait to learn more along the way and appreciate the help and info everyone else has posted. This is where we are as of now....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

WOW, you just bought it and its in primer in like 5 minutes, wow your fast Shocked Shocked

I think I see original light blue hiding in there?

Keeping it original or changing color Question Question Question
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Haha yeah did some work today! Well I've just been holding on to the pics. It's been a few months since I started, shoulder surgery squeezed in there somewhere. As far as color I'm looking at a light grey. All the seats are in a bedroom being redone in the darker red/maroon TMI color.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Love it...another Super getting saved...

Thanks for sharing your journey on here...

MikeC
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

That bug is in remarkable condition. What a pleasure it must be to work on that one. Congratulations
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Your first photos bringing it home looked like it was in excellent condition with the paint, etc. so that it'd only need some minor clean-up to drive. I see that a PO had welded over the "crescent" shaped fresh air outlet behind the side window, likely to fix some death foam rot. What was wrong with the front so that you cut out the apron and a large part of the front trunk floor? Be sure to level out your left taillamp on the fender; it's tilted slightly downward.

Grey color repaint: That can look very good. Are you considering the Audi TT Nimbus Grey, or VW's own early 1960's Anthracite color code L469? anthracitedub gallery:
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Wow looks amazing! What did you use to strip the paint? Also what was your process for separating the body and frame? Do you have plans for that stand pictured?

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
That bug is in remarkable condition. What a pleasure it must be to work on that one. Congratulations

Yes, I thought it was a pretty lucky find. There are only a couple problem spots, mostly near the bases of the front door pillars and where the bottom of the speaker pods were. Hopefully my welding skills improve so I can patch them. By the looks of it someone may have already replaced the heater channels. They also addressed the rear vents but then covered them up.
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Wow looks amazing! What did you use to strip the paint? Also what was your process for separating the body and frame? Do you have plans for that stand pictured?

I actually used an angle grinder and paint stripping discs off of Amazon. They were cheaper and lasted longer than the ones from HD and Lowe's. I like them because the paint came off super easy and left a slight texture on the metal for the primer to bond to. As far as the stand I don't have the plans. I just measured the width of the care with tires on and built something that would span it as well as be tall enough to get under. I basically unbolted everything and separated the body with some help from the family to lift it onto the stands. I watched the Jbugs series video on the procedure.
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Your first photos bringing it home looked like it was in excellent condition with the paint, etc. so that it'd only need some minor clean-up to drive. I see that a PO had welded over the "crescent" shaped fresh air outlet behind the side window, likely to fix some death foam rot. What was wrong with the front so that you cut out the apron and a large part of the front trunk floor? Be sure to level out your left taillamp on the fender; it's tilted slightly downward.

Grey color repaint: That can look very good. Are you considering the Audi TT Nimbus Grey, or VW's own early 1960's Anthracite color code L469? anthracitedub gallery:

Yes, condition was pretty good. I used a scope/camera to look inside the frame and other areas to see what had been done by the PO. There aren't any issues inside where the crescent vents were so yes, I think it was addressed. I cut the apron off because the louvered section was very warped and was very difficult to get nearly straight. Planning on replacing with a non-louvered version. As far as paint, I'm still deciding. I want a lighter grey as I feel it will go well with the darker red interior I have sitting in my bedroom! Thanks for the replies!
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Finally put the apron on. Unfortunately had to stop working since the other vehicle required some unplanned fixing. BMW sure does stand for Bring My Wallet sometimes...[/img]
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Today's findings. I knew the 2 bolts had snapped but not how bad they were stuck. Then i found this hole on the driver's side. Was trying to get some body work done and then spray the apron and trunk with epoxy primer. Always something.

Marinablau703
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Fantastic work. Up here in NY, your starting point would have been an all day every day driver!
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Marinablau703 wrote:
Fantastic work. Up here in NY, your starting point would have been an all day every day driver!

Thanks! I'm pretty meticulous with things and want to do this right the first time around. Hopefully one day it is road trip worthy as I would like to venture back that way. I'm originally from New York too.
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Fixed the hole found yesterday. I had some time before work tonight and working on this car can be addictive. Please don't flame my welding skills or should I say lack of.

talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

If you want to improve your welding skills I would suggest Fitzee's Fabrications on youtube. I've been binging his videos in prep for the welding and fab work on my bug and it has been incredibly helpful.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
If you want to improve your welding skills I would suggest Fitzee's Fabrications on youtube. I've been binging his videos in prep for the welding and fab work on my bug and it has been incredibly helpful.

I'll check it out. I'm usually better than that but it wasn't fun working on my back.
Marinablau703
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

waggss wrote:
talljordan wrote:

I'll check it out. I'm usually better than that but it wasn't fun working on my back.

However bad you may think it looks, it'll never be seen and it is still far better then some form of iron oxide or air. Or foam; lots of cars up this way are repaired with spray foam, mine included. That stuff lights up pretty easily too if not completely removed during proper repair! Laughing

waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

^^^ that's pretty crazy! I can't imagine finding foam like that. Makes you wonder what they were thinking at the time 🤔
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Going to try to tackle the trunk and apron today. Hopefully it as well as the front wheel wells, hood and other small parts will get a nice layer of epoxy primer.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: