Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryohey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Looks really great!! I love a 1971 SB. Had mine shipped to GA when I was in the military. Drove it home to PA Was rotten as all hell and could see the road thru the heater channel. I was young and stupid, but it made it. Wish I still had that one.
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

One wire at a time is definitely the way to go. I have the back and trunk areas pretty much done, now just need to work everything into the fuse box. Took a break from wiring and messed with the audio. I like a good sound system for clean sounding music that can get a little loud if needed. I'm using a Kenwood head unit, Kicker amps, 6.5" speakers x 4 and a solo baric 8" sub in a box I built. The box has an attachement to support the speaker shelf.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

I need to order a new turn signal switch and ignition switch. My originals looked hacked pretty bad. While waiting we (my wife) put the side panels in the back. The red and black contrast is coming together...

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

The pace of this build has been relentless. Applause

What's inside that new transaxle?
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
The pace of this build has been relentless. Applause

What's inside that new transaxle?

It's a pro-street transaxle. 4.12 ring and pinion, super diff, TIG welded gears, hard keys, steel forks, welded cross shaft. Still haven't decided on what cc engine to go with but I wanted to be prepared if it winds up having some more to it.

I have been trying to make the most of my days off and getting things done. Of course I'm taking my time on the wiring. Especially since I went with a ATS fuse box and am making some custom adjustments. I guess it did help that I started with a SB that was in good shape....
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Speedo adapter version 2.0. Had to move the speedo up to fit the indicator LEDs below it. Dash is coming along. Wiring is getting there slowly.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Slow and steady wins the race. It's looking good. The fact that those little indicator lights are readily available amazes me. There must be enough people in the world making their own dashboards. I was glad to find a couple I needed for mine and set the plain led bulbs aside.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Is this normal? Feeling a little defeated right about now...

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Are you kidding me?! It looks fantastic so far! Cool You got this Brother.

It's one wire at a time. Do not think about what is ahead. Just be the one wire. Then, be the next wire. When all the wires are in place, begin the gathering, folding and zip-tying for the win.

It will end. All things end. This too will end. In the meantime, enjoy selected glimpses of my build... meant to comfort, encourage and provide hope.

Stage One. "Ignorance is Bliss"

Buggeee wrote:
The fun never ends Laughing I had to switch gears in my head to settle into sorting this wiring nest. Inspection reveals the wires are in good shape. Connections are clean and sturdy. The insulation and covering is intact, crack-free and supple. Got lucky. I feel like getting the wiring harness a little bit cleaned and untangled though, trimming out some unused circuits and getting nerve endings for some gauges in place. So that's probably what I will be doing while you are doing your thing with your bug.

Stage Two: "The Dawn of Fear and Doubt"

Buggeee wrote:

Just me and Bentley spending quality time together sorting the wiring.

Stage Three: "A New Era of Endless Summers"

Buggeee wrote:

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Finally started to work on the Bug again. Never seemed completely satisfied with my speedo adapter so I found this one on the eBay. I'm going to move my indicator LEDs to a single gauge panel on the right. Next will probably be tearing down the vent windows and rebuilding them along with the door parts once the wiring is complete.

waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've posted any updates. Most of the electrical work is done. I just need to wire up the windshield wiper motor and so.e switches. Lately I've been working on the doors; new regulators, check rods, etc. The biggest pain has been the vent wing windows. The seals I bought from WW are super thick and don't want to go into the frame. So I'm using some electrical stuff I saw in the forums. We will see how it goes.... unless someone wants to rebuild them for me....
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

waggss wrote:

Did you get that door on the car? Is it not closing all the way?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
waggss wrote:

Did you get that door on the car? Is it not closing all the way?

I just put it back on the car. Pretty sure it needs some attention/adjusting to line up.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

I might have missed it. Did you paint your door handles and trim? They look really good.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I might have missed it. Did you paint your door handles and trim? They look really good.

I cheated and had a lot of parts powder coated black; trim, emblems, door handles, headlight rings, tail light trim rings, etc.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

waggss wrote:
Buggeee wrote:

I cheated and had a lot of parts powder coated black; trim, emblems, door handles, headlight rings, tail light trim rings, etc.

Good move, they look fantastic
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Really getting fed up with this car. I bought a window regulator from one of the well known vendors on this site and it's trash. The fit was horrible and now I've gone through 2 outer scrapers trying to fix the issue. The alignment across the top of the door won't let the window function properly. Maybe it's just me?
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Waggss the new regulators are all terrible. You need to find some good used ones. The new ones are usually aluminum while the OEM ones are steel.
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time 1971 Super Beetle Project Reply with quote

Haven't posted in a while but, I'm slowly getting back to work on the Super. Been trying to get the doors wrapped up with glass installed. Finally put gear oil in the transaxle. Anyone know the length of the indicator housing screws? Can't seem to find my originals...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: