Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior - Replace side panels & floor
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoFloScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Interior - Replace side panels & floor Reply with quote

Hi all,

We're just removed the interior and ended up throwing out the floor and side panels as they were well past their Best Before date. So now looking for options for something tidy, affordable, and attractive.

For the side panels I've seen there are kits we can buy and that is our fallback. But from the photos they seem pricey and a little flimsy. Any alternatives out there for someone not exactly gifted in the carpentry skill set?

Definitely need help on floor. Want something that holds up better to spills and water soaked boots than the untreated plywood and vinyl tyle that we just removed. Any suggestions, tips gratefully received!

Thanks,

Scott

Ps, Current state of interior:

https://ibb.co/qNMxp3C
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Interior - Replace side panels & floor Reply with quote

I would suggest 1/8" baltic birch plywood on walls for an original look.

Best to copy your panels but if you don't have them then I have some drawings here that may help. They are not an exact copy of a westy though.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704132&start=44

This is what I used to finish my panels. Only used one top layer of polyurethane but adding a few more would get better durability
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=96

For the floor a good quality plywood (baltic birch comes in 5'x5') with a few layers of polyurethane and flooring over will stand up well. You could use low density Coosa Board or similar product but that may fall outside the affordable range. Smile
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Interior - Replace side panels & floor Reply with quote

Great suggestion on the 1/8" baltic birch for sure.
On my rear floor, I put down a plastic vapor barrier and then used Pergo laminate flooring left over from when I did the floors in my house. It has been in Jerry the Bus now for 15 years! Holding up well!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior - Replace side panels & floor Reply with quote

If you want to add to the value get Baltic Birch and have it cut after measuring.
For the floor Westfalia used plywood with linoleum, I think someone reproduces something very similar to the original.
The original stuff held up for a scant what 50 some odd years? I’d stick with it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
SoFloScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Interior - Replace side panels & floor Reply with quote

Thanks guys. sgellis - simply amazing.

I'm also reaching out to Clara here who provides panels if I opt to be lazy.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Interior - Replace side panels & floor Reply with quote

has anyone been able to source 1/8" Baltic Birch in a 4'x8' piece for the long panel?
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior - Replace side panels & floor Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:
has anyone been able to source 1/8" Baltic Birch in a 4'x8' piece for the long panel?
Wurth Wood group in Charlotte, NC had some 4'x8' birch about 15 years ago. However, it was not Baltic Birch, and had a darker colored, almost luan/mahogany type color and grain so I passed on buying any. I never could find any that matched the light/tight grain Baltic Birch.

I have not been able to find ANY 1/8" 4'x8' birch since. Luan door skin, which is actually a type of mahogany, is the only product that seems to be available.

I ended up splicing the 5'x5' Baltic Birch in the rear seat armrest area, so it hides the seam for the most part.

Only other option I can think of is a veneer, but you are still stuck with the indoor grade luan material.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior - Replace side panels & floor Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:

Check your local lumber supplier. Ones that deal in exotic wood should have 5'x5' 1/8" sheets which are about what you need for the floor, etc.

Around here it goes for around $57 a sheet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Interior - Replace side panels & floor Reply with quote

This is my go to thread for camper interior ideas: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Best of all he also provides CAD drawings for all of the panels.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: