Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dealer parts?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

Friend asked me yesterday if VW dealers carry any parts for the bus. Had to say “Duh, got me. I haven’t been in a dealership in 50 years”.

Now I’m curious. There must be some parts available, right?

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

Dealers have limited space so storing parts for 60 year old cars is not worth it for them. Even things like tune up parts and wiper blades are not available at dealers.

A few years ago I was contacted by the local dealership, a customer came in and wanted the engine in his 74 Super Convertible rebuilt by a dealership since he didn't trust anyone else.

They didn't have anyone who ever worked on an aircooled VW and not idea where to get parts. They contracted with me to build the engine. I had to go there to tell them how to take it out and how to put it back in. I then took the engine home and rebuilt it in my basement, not a single part came from the dealership. I gave them a detailed list of all the parts I used and their cost.

I have no idea how they wrote up the customer's bill but i'm sure they added a few thousands to the bill.

I did hear back the the customer was thrilled how well the engine ran.

I even rebuilt the distributor and had carb rebuilt.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

Lil Lulu wrote:
Friend asked me yesterday if VW dealers carry any parts for the bus. Had to say “Duh, got me. I haven’t been in a dealership in 50 years”.

Now I’m curious. There must be some parts available, right?

depends on the dealer and if they are tied in with vw classic parts or not. i have gotten some bay and vanagon parts recently from my local dealer.

it's all a crap shoot and depends what you need. for sure you're not going to find a headliner and a vast majority of "hard parts" like pistons for example.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

When I first got into VW 45 years ago I was shocked at how much they wanted for parts, often 4 times or more than what I could buy the identical part for aftermarket, this has kept my shadow from blocking light going through their door very often. VW also had a weird policy of not selling things in sets (like not having engine gasket kits) when it was extremely reasonable to do so and selling things only as sets (connecting rods) when there was little reason to do so.

For my Toyotas I checked with the dealer first and bought almost 100% of my parts from them, while for my VW's I checked with the dealer last and bought little.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

Heck, on my recent trip to Wisconsin, the cap on the last diesel fuel injector line started leaking. I was in Minneapolis/St. Paul area when I found it. I figured surely a dealership in a big city like that would have this teeny-tiny part.

Called a place and was told they'd have to order it in.

Instead, I bought several 1/8" vacuum line nipples and used one of them for now.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

well, there is a difference in being able to get it vs being in stock.

99% of the time dealers have it next day. dealer parts basically keep wear items and maintenance items in stock unless there is a 'trend' in one part, like drivers window regulators for example.

what you're going to find is a whole lot less "NOS" parts in the future because the dealer has no reason to stock something. every part sitting on a dealer shelf was bought from the parent company. dealers aren't going to buy stuff they can't move

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

the Harley Davidson chapter in "Search for Excellence" explains it all. Since that time, based on the Japanese production model, manufacturers only make what they need in the next 48 - 96 hours or so. Their service parts warehouses don't stock items either like they did 40 years ago. Too easy to ship small items coast to coast. If I put $1,000,000 in inventory and sell $20,000 worth of parts a month I might make $3,000 in profits after I pay cost, overhead and labor. That doesn't include my $1,000,000 investment or factoring fees on it if it is financed. But if I stock $30,000 in daily items like filters, brake pads etc., then my profit is much more reasonable. General rule of thumb these days is to sell everything you have in stock at least once every 45 - 60 days. Industry says that Walmart turns their stock on an average of 42 days. It is also why we get into shortages so easily since Covid / SARS-2, and why inflation is going to take a bigger bite of your income than certain politicians are willing to tell you.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

I bought the engine ground connector (the 3 or 4 prong thing that is attached to one of the case bolts) for my Bus a few years back at a dealership. It is/was apparently used on some more modern cars. I guess you can get lucky with something like that if it has been carried over. I can’t imagine there would be too many parts though.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

When bus thermostats disappeared from the VW aftermarket supply chain 15'ish years ago, I called up the dealer to see if VW had any in their parts system. Was told there were two on the shelves somewhere in Florida for something like $11 a piece. Told the VW parts man to get both of them for me.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

I bought the front door lock internal springs from Bob Baker, and they had them in a day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

Back in the 80's I could do some reasonable trade with the dealer. Especially special items or close out. I had a 4 year old 1978 Champagne edition bus. I got to talking with the parts man, I could have my choice of the overhead dealer installed air or the under dash. I chose overhead. $525 complete in the sealed box. What a BUNCH of work to install. No wonder no one wanted to buy them. I still saved the A/c. not so much the bus. (Bad move)
About that time, fall 1985 he handed me a printout: "Scrap 1985" told me to take it home, they'd sell me stuff for $20% markup. I bought every piece of splitty sheet metal listed, and a lot of bay parts. I ran out of money. They showed right and left corners for bay pickups. I think they had 44 of one side and 11 of the other, I bought 2 each. for $7 each. $28.+ 20%. This about a month before I bought my 1969 double cab, but I was aware of what these parts fit. I did also buy every CE interior carpet and seat cover, I think 3 for the middle seat, which I figured I could cut up and patch my front seats. I sold most every part on theSamba about 20 years later.
It was always great getting these parts because you knew they would fit perfectly.
Some regular prices were ridiculously expensive. Gas heater parts: Wire harness was about $1000.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

It’s still 3-4x for OE over aftermarket.

Why would anyone pay $150 for a Volvo caliper , when I can get a Cardone for $40 , seize up the pot metal caliper side pins in one winter, ruining the pads and rotor, and doing the whole job again in 12 months! Look at the saved money!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Why would anyone pay $150 for a Volvo caliper , when I can get a Cardone for $40 , seize up the pot metal caliper side pins in one winter, ruining the pads and rotor, and doing the whole job again in 12 months! Look at the saved money!

Cardone is such a great name for repair parts, huh?
For many decades VW offered exchange parts program that seemed to offer good value on some items. Might still be n place, actually.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

There are a surprising amount of Volvo parts that work on the Bay windows. Most of my FI system is Volvo 240 parts at this point.

If my brake calipers ever go out on my bus, I guarantee I will be buying the volvo ones.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

There are a surprising amount of Volvo parts that work on the Bay windows. Most of my FI system is Volvo 240 parts at this point.

If my brake calipers ever go out on my bus, I guarantee I will be buying the volvo ones.

I didn’t know volvos were crossovers ( if it was sarcasm you caught your fish 😊)

Fcp warranty is for life, tagged to the VIN, so at Least you only cry once.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Cardone is such a great name for repair parts, huh?
For many decades VW offered exchange parts program that seemed to offer good value on some items. Might still be n place, actually.

At one point in time.....Cardone.....had excellent parts. This started to cease....in my experience.....right in the mid 90's.

If you dig up the history of Cardone....it started in 1934 doing one thing...rebuilding windshield wiper motors.

They expanded starting in about 1970 through 1980 to about 10 locations and a whole lot of other items like brake parts during that 10 years.

During the mid 80s to about 1990...they had a pretty good run and their re-mans were carried by BAP-Geon and Beck Arnley.....and overall the quality was good.

By the mid 90's...they had expanded large...too large. Too many parts and items in my opinion. And....their brake re-man part for ACVW's....by that time was rebuilding....already rebuilt cores. Besides dropping the ball quality process wise during over expansion (again thats my opinion)....the "pool" of cores for WHAT they were rebuilding .....was at low tide.

Its the same issue that we have with building engines now days. There are very few worthwhile cores and even less good parts to go in them. Ray
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

At one point in time.....Cardone.....had excellent parts. This started to cease....in my experience.....right in the mid 90's.

Cardone = Car Done. they have been epic trash right along with Dorman, FEQ and anything URO.

FCP's "lifetime warranty" is 1/2 of a joke. I know the Bauer's personally. 1/2 the shelving in my shop came from when FCP closed their brick and mortar store 10 minutes from me as well as crates of old vw shit from their dead inventory. back when Beck Arnly, GLOBE etc bought OE parts and ground the VAG emblems off

if you bought a (alleged) german febi hoobajoo and febi drops that hoobajoo from production they will substitute whatever is available... IF it's available otherwise it's store credit.

they aren't dumb. they just did 110m+ in sales.

anyway, parts are shit today. i just went thru 3, yes THREE master cylinders on a split window bus before i got one that wasn't trash....and those were TRW.

the hobby as we know it is circling the drain and leaving shit stains in the bowl as the velocity of the flush continues downward. 9 hours fucking around with a master cylinder. for what? to have it die in 18/20 months? the juice isn't worth the squeeze anymore folks

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
anyway, parts are shit today. i just went thru 3, yes THREE master cylinders on a split window bus before i got one that wasn't trash....and those were TRW.

Are you getting counterfeit TRW or ATE parts? I got some knock-off rear wheel cylidners in ATE packaging a few years ago, a few phone calls revealed they didn't have the correct security code on them… Bootleg toys and t-shirts are dope. Brake parts, like, actually who the F makes that??

I refunded some clients for half a day's labor when we couldn't get two master cylinders to bleed. When they let me know they came from Rock Auto for $27, I just about blew a gasket.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Are you getting counterfeit TRW or ATE parts? I got some knock-off rear wheel cylidners in ATE packaging a few years ago, a few phone calls revealed they didn't have the correct security code on them… Bootleg toys and t-shirts are dope. Brake parts, like, actually who the F makes that??

I refunded some clients for half a day's labor when we couldn't get two master cylinders to bleed. When they let me know they came from Rock Auto for $27, I just about blew a gasket.

Robbie

You actually literally blew a seal, but that sounds too personal.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer parts? Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

I refunded some clients for half a day's labor when we couldn't get two master cylinders to bleed.

you're better than me. i charged the full 9 hours and 2 gallons of brake fluid. i run a business not a charity. none of the issues were my problem.

in terms of vendors, 1 came from a well known west coast place and the other one from a east coast vendor. can't imagine they would knowingly sell bobo parts.

i'm over it.

i tell the classic car crowd under no uncertain terms i'm getting paid for every minute i am on their project. i interrogate them as if they are murder suspects before i even agree to anything. i warn them of all the issues and hold on to their wallets because what took an hour 20 years ago is an all day affair today.

if they agree, fine. in fact i'm much happier when they don't. because no matter what the vast majority expect me to own this shit from cradle to grave because i was the last one who touched it.

even billing for all the time and materials i still lose money. i make more doing this shit

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and i have a full house of good paying work

to put things in perspective i made more money in 2 hours on a DSTC issue on a 2017 XC60 than i did on a master cylinder on a split bus.....and didn't get covered in brake fluid.

this is one of the reasons i swing the ax at cars 10 model years old or older, with the exception of existing customers. if you were just some schmuck that found me on g00gle with an '08 i won't take the job.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: