Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat Life expectancy
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

Hello to all of you that use and have the thermostat and flaps installed.
About how long should the 65~70 degree one last in normal use.
I had one go bad, funny thing I just happen to be looking this cold morning prior to starting it was expanded. Went to the parts box and installed another one. Should mention this is a type 3 stock dual carbed engine.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

Expanded is better than closed!! Ha.

Rarely did I ever see Thermostats go. But with the age of our cars, we have to be ready for the unexpected.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

Oh I agree the engineers had that correct. I have a total of three defective ones picked up in boxes of swap meet stuff.
Wish i had a clue on houw to repair them and put them in operation.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

I had two fail over the last year.
The one in my 1679 caught me by surprise. That was a good thermostat for the last 5 years.
No wonder my engine never got hot. The flaps were held open by the failed TS.

The second one failed during installation on my 2180. I was screwing it onto the drop rod and the threaded collar just broke loose under the slightest pressure when tightening it.

If you find a good used one. I imagine they will last for the rest of your life. Or fail next week. You just never know.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

Mexican ones fail closed ! Pays to have gauges .
difrangia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

They're available new and used in the classifieds.

Not cheap but available. How many did I take off and chuck into the junk bin in the 70's & 80's ??
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

New

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2456275

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

difrangia wrote:

Not cheap but available. How many did I take off and chuck into the junk bin in the 70's & 80's ??

Ah yes! That is what all the California based hot rodders told us to do, one of their hot tips. Then they told us to get rid of the warm air intake to the air cleaner, block off the heat riser on the intake manifold and change to a 009 distributor. Our cars became impossible to tune stumbling, lurching pieces of junk. But we had done all the COOL mods.

We were so naïve and gullible! Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! Shocked

Yes I have had the odd one fail. The one on my type 4 engine in the Buggy failed last summer so I ordered a new one in the fall from Awesome Powder Coating and put it away where it wouldn't get lost until I fixed the clutch. Now the clutch is fixed and I cannot find the thermostat...

So... I go from the stupidity of youth to the forgetfulness of old age... there is no winning!!! Rolling Eyes
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

https://youtu.be/-EImfwlAfOY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

About twenty years ago I visited a VW only junk yard and one item on my list was a thermostat and fixings. The "experienced" guy behind the counter argued with me that air cooled VW's never had a thermostat Rolling Eyes He told me I might as well be looking for a left handed smoke bender or a jackalope.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

Such is the incredible influence of the hero experts of the day that continues even now 50 years later!

Oh and did I mention that air cooled VWs don't need chokes to start or heating/defrost systems either? Rolling Eyes Special cars that defy all that has been learned and proven to work since the days of the Model T!

Now if I can just recall where I put that thermostat...
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:

Are you referring to the small ones some sellers offer? It's my understanding they aren't meant to be used for the flaps. Antonio Triejo responded to a post a while back stating that the Mexican production cars always used the bellows type thermostats until they discontinued them altogether.

Antonio Trejo wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:
Antonio, is your rod for a Mexican thermostat, perhaps? Tim

Tim, There was/is not any "Mexican thermostat" in the mexican Beetle, never. The only thermostat style installed on the mexican VW Sedan was the bellows style, until 1995, when VW of Mexico deleted the thermostat system.
I do not know why eveybody call "mexican type" to that crapy thermostat: that thing is not for sale / made in Mexico, VW never intalled that stuff in the Sedan.
My Sedan 1994 is DP 1600i (EFI), but may be the thermostat rod is not like the german Super Beetle ones from the 70´s.

If I'm not mistaken the smaller style are repurposed from some other application.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

At VW events looking at the "Show Cars", I always try and estimate the percentage with flaps, much less a thermostat.

It's usually in the low single digits..

What’s That Noise?!?
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

Ok as always you guys get me thinking, it was back in 89 that I figured the reason my T-4 bug was running like crap saw it needed a thermostat that was 90 c not 80c to give the normally cool running T-4 a bug a chance to warm up.

Thought you guy would like to see this UK article showing how I designed the T-1 thermostat to work on a T-4-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

Forgot to add, I have the same 90 c thermostat in for years.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

https://youtu.be/-EImfwlAfOY

It looked like he use 70% Isopropyl alcohol if I read the label right, I have read you are supposed to use 98-99% isopropyl alcohol. you could use IsoHEET gas drier [in the red bottle] you find in your local parts house, it is 98% and about the easiest to find unless you want to buy a gallon of 99%.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Grego in Sac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
difrangia wrote:

Ah yes! That is what all the California based hot rodders told us to do, one of their hot tips. Then they told us to get rid of the warm air intake to the air cleaner, block off the heat riser on the intake manifold and change to a 009 distributor. Our cars became impossible to tune stumbling, lurching pieces of junk. But we had done all the COOL mods.

We were so naïve and gullible! Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! Shocked

Yes I have had the odd one fail. The one on my type 4 engine in the Buggy failed last summer so I ordered a new one in the fall from Awesome Powder Coating and put it away where it wouldn't get lost until I fixed the clutch. Now the clutch is fixed and I cannot find the thermostat...

So... I go from the stupidity of youth to the forgetfulness of old age... there is no winning!!! Rolling Eyes

The putting things in a places where it won’t get lost thing has been happening to me since I was young and stupid so I’m not sure if it’s an age thing!
But considering that I have lost things in places where it would be safe, and I have put many many things in those places and have yet to find them, there might be something to an old twilight zone episode I watched where there is a group of beings that live in a parallel universe that are responsible for the movement of all objects in our world and they have a particular habit of forgetting to move things or put things in different locations and then remembering to put them in the correct place after a bit and it was to explain the phenomenon of finding stuff in places you already looked.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Wreck wrote:

Are you referring to the small ones some sellers offer? It's my understanding they aren't meant to be used for the flaps.

Yes, they operated a door hidden behind the license plate of late models (which continued to be made in Mexico, hence the "Mexican thermostat" nomenclature) to close off decklid louvers when cold.

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
At VW events looking at the "Show Cars", I always try and estimate the percentage with flaps, much less a thermostat.

It's usually in the low single digits..

I do the same with distributors with the same results, I'm surprised when I find a vehicle with a stock distributor in it.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Life expectancy Reply with quote

Same with carbs. Very few will take the time to clean up a genuine VW carb, just buy some Chinese junk copy and slap it on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: