Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent window frame seal.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

What is it called? I saw a video on YouTube while looking for something else.

Seems to be a rubber sheet. Stretch over the edge of the glass and slide it in the frame. Cut the excess. Can’t recall if glue was used on either or both side. I don’t believe so.

While installing the window and seal in the frame, I suppose I loosened the hold and the glass just came out.

Probably a good thing. The 50 year old rubber was old and crusty.

Who sells it?

Last edited by malcolm2 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

As luck would have it, I found the video. It is from Air Head parts and they put a part # on the intro. Very Happy but almost everyone that sells the stuff is out. I will have to keep searching.

Some vendors say it requires special tools or a glass expert. Does this group agree with that?

221-845-295A

Link

AshC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

I did this job and the Ratwell article was invaluable: https://www.ratwell.com/technical/CabDoor.html

If diving-in to the cab door procedure given at the vent wing stage do make sure to get the window off the lifter, to the bottom and as far back in the door as you can, before removing (wiggling out) the vent wing and make sure its out of the way when it goes back in.
AshC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

BTW, I'm not sure now which vent you are fixing... I now see that isnt a cab door vent wing seal in the video - some kind of side window I dont have. The cab vent wing seal is formed and needs no gluing. There's actually a main piece and a vertical piece and both easily sourced.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

I am doing what the video shows but on the door vent. The triangle shape.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

On my split windows, I used the inner pop out window seal. Much easier and cleaner, I would imagine it would work on a bay.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AshC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
I am doing what the video shows but on the door vent. The triangle shape.

As in this one (or the right one): https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/241837625-front-quarter-window-seal-left.html

(vent wings are known as quarter lights this side of the pond)

As per the Ratwell article there is one of these (no glue) + a vertical on the inside and then a vertical track for the window on the back of the vent wing frame.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

This will keep you busy for a while: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341651&highlight=vent+press

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
AshC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

Oh I see (duh!) we are re-fitting the glass here not changing the frame seals!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

AshC wrote:
Oh I see (duh!) we are re-fitting the glass here not changing the frame seals!

Yes. It seems that either job is not fun.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

the glass shop that did my vent windows used a strip of rubber on each piece of glass. You can get it from glass shops that do car windows.

The technician used clean motor oil on the rubber, then draped it around the glass vent and slid it in, trimming it with a razor blade carefully not to scratch the glass once the rubber swelled up. About 3 to 4 hours later the motor oil had swollen the rubber enough that it locked the glass in place. The technician suggested I could do it myself, and he would give me a piece of the rubber strip to do it, however I paid him to do it. This is a local automotive and other glass shop. In 2010 that technician had been installing glass in cars at that shop for about 40 years, the shop has been around since 1963.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the glass shop that did my vent windows used a strip of rubber on each piece of glass. You can get it from glass shops that do car windows.

The technician used clean motor oil on the rubber, then draped it around the glass vent and slid it in, trimming it with a razor blade carefully not to scratch the glass once the rubber swelled up. About 3 to 4 hours later the motor oil had swollen the rubber enough that it locked the glass in place. The technician suggested I could do it myself, and he would give me a piece of the rubber strip to do it, however I paid him to do it. This is a local automotive and other glass shop. In 2010 that technician had been installing glass in cars at that shop for about 40 years, the shop has been around since 1963.

That is pretty much how that guy did it on the video. I heard about the oil trick.

I wonder why all the online places make a big deal about special equipment?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
I wonder why all the online places make a big deal about special equipment?

The frames on split bus and early bugs are quite flimsy and it's a real job to get them pressed on without bending the f**k out of it, or having one end squirt out while you get the other in, thickness of the rubber may also play a part.
It depends on your skill level and experience too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window frame seal. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
This will keep you busy for a while: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341651&highlight=vent+press

This link is interesting.... everyone chiming in on how they did it. perfect.

One of the youtube videos had a great idea tho. Chris Vallone at about 7:40 he gets into a very simple method. just cut strips of the rubber material and put it in maybe 4 places around the glass. Then use some nice high quality, BLACK caulk to fill in between the strips. I think he said silicone.

At least I know that is an option for when I get tired of struggling.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: