Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How does this attach? Window regulator question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

I'm currently in the process of converting my '64 bug back to having vent windows. (Had 1-piece when I bought it).
The 1-piece setup used post '64 style regulator mechanisms.
I've putting the original style regulators back in, and I'm not sure how it is suppose to attach/interface with the glass' lift channel. I usually refer to wolfburg's exploded views to gain understanding of this type of thing, but it doesn't look to be any use here.
What am I missing here?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Many thanks in advance.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

you need # 36 in pic. the spring looking thing.

Steve.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
you need # 36 in pic. the spring looking thing.

Steve.

Thanks Steve.
I should have clicked around a bit more on wolfsburg's website. The description for the spring clip explains exactly what its function is.
I've got a couple of those clips on hand, but still not sure how the pieces interface exactly.
Would anybody happen to have a photo of this spring clip in place?
Thanks again.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

Does this help?

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

[quote="sportin-wood"]Does this help?
Not really any more information here than there is on the previous diagram.
I can see how the clip attaches to the regulator, but unclear on how the clip interfaces with the lift channel.
Probably something stupid simple. Next chance I get to work on the car, I'll see if I can figure it out.
In the meantime if anybody has a photo of this in their door, that would be a big help.
Thanks again.
Slow-N-Rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

Once you attach the clip to the window regulator, you slide the clip end into the small channel on the bottom of the bracket(101) that holds the glass. See the 'v' shaped profile on the bottom of #101? The clip slides along that groove while also pivoting on the stud on the window regulator to allow the window to move up and down without binding.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

About 3:20 into this video, it shows a little about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82BL3kGrqbY&t=4s
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I think I figured it out. It was pretty simple.
On a side note does anybody have a recommendations for attaching/gluing the lift channel to the glass?
I have the lift channel weather strip, but wasn't sure if addition adhesive will be necessary to hold it together?
Also, if anybody has advice on removing the old crispy lift channels from the glass that would be helpful too.

Last edited by PWB on Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

I am going through this right now on a later model, and I am now working on getting the lift channel to stick to the glass, so I have the same Q as PWB above. Thanks for the info gentlemen!
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

GreeneHoosier wrote:
I am going through this right now on a later model, and I am now working on getting the lift channel to stick to the glass, so I have the same Q as PWB above. Thanks for the info gentlemen!

@GreenHoosier,
As it turned out, I didn't need any additional adhesive. The rubber weatherstrip and lift channel hold on with conviction all by themselves.
The lift channel basically acks like a clamp, and once its fitted over the rubber, it's not gonna go anywhere.
A couple tips:
1. The weatherstrip I got from wolfsburg west was long enough for three windows, so you probably don't need to buy 2.
2. Removing old rusty lift channels & rubber from the glass was easily done with the precise heat application & gentle prying. I used an electric heat gun, which I typically used for heat-shrink tubing. (probably best to avoid using a torch)
3. clean the glass with alcohol, then place the weatherstrip on the glass (make sure left-to-right positioning is correct) and apply wd-40 to its outer surfaces. Then, slide the lift channel (with correct orientation) in a direct down motion over the weather-strip. Do not rock it on, or else it will begin to displace the rubber.
WD-40 is not a permanent lube and will eventually evaporate away, making it ideal for this application.
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

Thanks! My channels fit the glass WAY too loosely. I am going to pull them and crimp them a little and see if that does the trick. Thanks!
Texasdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

Does anyone have information (explanation or picture) of where exactly these lift channels go on the glass? I can’t find how far forward or back they attach to the glass.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

On my '55 the lift channel is centered on the glass. Do you have the other window intact to compare?
Texasdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

No. I received the bug without the glass installed. It was converted to a baja bug decades ago and I'm trying to restore it to original.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

Here's a picture from the gallery on a channel in place. Looks pretty centered.

napgonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: How does this attach? Window regulator question Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just glad to have found this website/forum. I was inquiring about the same exact topic on YouTube but remembered the samba.com Very Happy

Going through the same process here. I've ordered all items for window mechanism, just need to find the glass windows used or new.

Thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: