Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 912 air cleaners
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chink13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Porsche 912 air cleaners Reply with quote

question is will they fit in the engine bay i know i can modify them to fit on my webers but not 100% sure if they will fit in the engine bay ive never seen anyone do this mod maybe theres a reason....

these are the filters in question
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 air cleaners Reply with quote

Porsche = $$$$$

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chink13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 air cleaners Reply with quote

lmao i aint too worried about prices on the air cleaners just want to know if they will fit hell even a height measurement would be fantastic. im wanting to shut my webers up so i can hear myself think as well as the radio...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 air cleaners Reply with quote

Being that they appear to be mostly behind the fan shroud, I think that they’re going to want to be in the same space as the gas tank.

Perhaps you could turn them around so they’re on the deck lid side of the engine.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 air cleaners Reply with quote

you may be the first to try. Be sure to post the results. My best guess is that a 912 enthusiast would pay a lot more for them than they would add to a bay value.
Takamotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 air cleaners Reply with quote

912 filters look nice but I would be surprised if they fit: I have Honda Goldwing boxes, as you can see left one is very close to firewall.
(they are ugly but reduce noise)

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 air cleaners Reply with quote

You have pictured later 912 filters. Early 1965-6 ones are much lower profile and would very likely fit.
The good news is that VW made actual factory manifolds to mount Solex 40PII carbs, so you could do it all German with factory parts. Solexes used to be dirt cheap at swap meets. They all needed throttle shafts and bushings.The way it is now it would likely cost $2000 to get a set restored, tho.
My belief that Real German Solexes are much better carbs than Webers. 912 carbs have 32mm venturis, so good for 95hp. Cheap Italian cabs used to be the way to save money.
It just baffles me to see these $60k restored 912's and they have Webers on them with very cheesy K&N unsilenced air filters. True CALIFORNIA BOLT ON at its best. A 912 with out of the box Webers probably dynos at about 75hp.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chink13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 air cleaners Reply with quote

well i bit the bullet and ordered a pair of really nice pair of 912 filter assemblies looks like ill have then early part of next week and i will be posting my adventures with it
chink13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 air cleaners Reply with quote

well they arrived already!

I drove the bus to work today so I could see if they would possibly fit and well height is not an issue just looking and measuring it. I will be looking into putting them on in the next day or so. I'm not sure exactly how all of this will go down but I'm pretty sure I can make this work no problem.

also the picture of me hold the housing up is off looking cos i the angle i took the photo there is plenty of room lol

chink13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 air cleaners Reply with quote

Well I've confirmed that the right side fits!! I just have to find out if the left will also fit for sure then when I get home I'll modify the bases to fit the webers and have them officially installed!

CB performance filter removed left the base plate there so i could trown everything back together quickly for the ride home from work

lots of clearance over the top!! looks neat too!!
Doc_Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 air cleaners Reply with quote

Hello,

Ron LaDow of Precision Matters manufactures an adaptor so Solex Carb air cleaner housings just like yours fit on Weber carbs.

https://precisionmatters.biz/air-filter-adapter-plates.php
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: