Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle out - what else to check/replace?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Transaxle out - what else to check/replace? Reply with quote

So my Rancho transaxle is arriving soon to replace my leaky, pops-out-of-fourth OG transmission.

Looking for opinions on what else to replace while I'm doing the swap.

1. Tranny mounts? Mine are OG and don't seem to be failing. What's the word on Wolfsburg West replacements? I know sometimes the new rubber isn't really as durable as the old stuff.

2. Shifter bushings? I replaced mine about 10 years and 40K miles ago. I guess it's not too much work or $$$ to put in new ones if everything is apart anyway.

3. Other? Does the Rancho rebuild come with axle boots? What other stuff should I have on hand? Trying to minimize downtime since this is my daily driver.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle out - what else to check/replace? Reply with quote

Is it just the trans?... or + rebuilt reduction gear boxes?

Have the correct oil(s) on hand.
New soft brake lines.
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle out - what else to check/replace? Reply with quote

Good time to check some things:

New rear trans mounts
Check your Bowden Tube.
Check your Clutch Cable
Clutch and Pressure plate and throw out bearing
Does it come with new axle boots?
Is it complete or do you need to assemble?
Axle seals
Check your wheel cylinders and shoes
And get a Wolfgang Mid Mount, way easy to install, especially with transmission out of your Bus. That way whatever happens to the front trans mount, you are OK.

good luck!
Gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle out - what else to check/replace? Reply with quote

Is that Wolfgang mount recommended for all engine/tranny combos or is it more of a "performance" part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle out - what else to check/replace? Reply with quote

If the torsion bar/spring plate rubber bushings have never been addressed, this might be the time to replace those?
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle out - what else to check/replace? Reply with quote

Thanks, good tips on things to check.

What I'm very interested in is this tranny mount question. I don't want to replace the OG mounts and put in something new that has a chance to fail within a few thousand miles.

Any opinions on the different suppliers of tranny mounts out there?
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle out - what else to check/replace? Reply with quote

The Mid mount is cheap insurance against those not so good Wolfsburg West front trans mounts.
I would not call it a performance add on, just a heavy duty addition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle out - what else to check/replace? Reply with quote

galexander wrote:
The Mid mount is cheap insurance against those not so good Wolfsburg West front trans mounts.

Agreed…it’s pretty much accepted that the repro mounts are garbage they split after a month in some cases.
I’m cheap so I run a 10mm bolt and nut through mine.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle out - what else to check/replace? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
galexander wrote:
Agreed…it’s pretty much accepted that the repro mounts are garbage they split after a month in some cases.
I’m cheap so I run a 10mm bolt and nut through mine.
That is a month longer than their shift couplers last. I would think that knowingly selling garbage is a bad idea, as it makes people question the quality of your other parts which may or may not be garbage......
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle out - what else to check/replace? Reply with quote

OK sounds like I will leave in the OG mounts unless they look really really trashed. I hate it when brand new parts are garbage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: