Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

My son bought a 72 super beetle and it has a 1300cc single port engine from a 66 in it. The engine has been rebuilt but has some hesitation with acceleration. The PO also had a Solex 34 PICT 3 carb paired up with a 009 dizzy. I have read on here that this combo is known to have that problem. So I'm wondering what would be better to replace the carb, dizzy or both for better and smoother performance? I have read here the Solex 34 need a vacuum advance dizzy but is this carb too big for the engine? I have an old ZV/PAU4R5 dizzy in a parts box that probably needs reworked but I understand they are vacuum advance only. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

I doubt this engine is a 1300 single port engine any more, because a 34PICT-3 will not bolt onto a 1300 single port intake manifold. What kind of intake manifold do you have here??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I doubt this engine is a 1300 single port engine any more, because a 34PICT-3 will not bolt onto a 1300 single port intake manifold. What kind of intake manifold do you have here??

Adapters are very common and cost like $10 bucks. Available at every VW parts house.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

Here is a pic of it
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

You need to ash can the 009 and find the stock VW distributor that matches that cab. Make sure the heat riser on the intake is not plugged with carbon and you have proper connections on whatever exhaust is on that engine too.

Your throttle hookup looks pretty flakey too by the way. I hope the engine bay has all the right tins and seals in place ...
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
You need to ash can the 009 and find the stock VW distributor that matches that cab. Make sure the heat riser on the intake is not plugged with carbon and you have proper connections on whatever exhaust is on that engine too.

Your throttle hookup looks pretty flakey too by the way. I hope the engine bay has all the right tins and seals in place ...

Yeah my son has been doing alot without talking to me or letting me help. He rigged up the throttle connection with zip ties because the pin is missing. He hasn't put in the breastplate tin so told him needs to finish alot before he starts driving it. So that is my question what distributor is meant to pair up with that carb? I have seen maybe the 034?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

Show us a photo of the intake manifold. The numbers on the side of the carb. Without that information most of us are not able to give you good advice.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

These are the only other 2 pics I have I can ask him to take some more. I told him that fuel line/filter situation going on there has to be fixed too.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

Adapters are very common and cost like $10 bucks. Available at every VW parts house.

I thought the adaptors were only used to put the smaller carb like the 30pict or h30/31 on the dual port manifold.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

I have come across such a manifold once or twice. I believe it is either from a 1600 sgl port industrial engine for the US market, - or from a 1 year production KG 1600 sgl port. Someone might be able to shed more light on that.
However, if the engine is really only 1300 displacement that is not the carb to use. Too "big" due to too large idle bypass etc etc. It can be made to work, but it is NOT for the average tuner.
I would take a volume measurement and figure out what the displacement really is and then work from that.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:

I thought the adaptors were only used to put the smaller carb like the 30pict or h30/31 on the dual port manifold.

Yes, that is the common adapter. Hell I have a few of them and run one on my Baja Bug. As for converting from small flange manifold to large carburetor, if such a part exists, I've never seen one.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
thomas. wrote:

Yes, that is the common adapter. Hell I have a few of them and run one on my Baja Bug. As for converting from small flange manifold to large carburetor, if such a part exists, I've never seen one.

I've not used them, but it was my understanding you could just flip them over to go the other way. So I could be incorrect.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I've not used them, but it was my understanding you could just flip them over to go the other way. So I could be incorrect.

I think that one could engineer a way to flip the adapter to use large carburetor on a smaller manifold. Also, some manifold center sections come drilled these days to accept smaller or larger base carburetors.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

Sorry I should have given more information. We had the top end of the engine apart due to a bad cylinder head when he first got it and had a local builder rebuild the bottom end. So we do know it is a 1300. He just recently got it back in the car to try it out. Those where the carb and dizzy on it when he got the car. So we are trying to tune the engine and get it road worthy now.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

It would be highly unusual for that engine to have been built back up as a 1300. Check with the builder that it's not a 1966 case built up as a 1600.

If it's truly a 1300 I would run the stock carburetor, a 30 PICT 1 Solex with the matching 113 905 205 K distributor to get the best performance. Even if it's a 1600 you could run the above pairing as long as you are not looking to race around town

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

Some numbers I'm interested in knowing here.

The full part number of the intake manifold.

The Modification State Number of this carburetor. It should be on the base flange of the carb on the left side. (ie... VW 377_1) The carb in the photos has way too many vacuum fittings on it.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

After struggling to get my 1600 SP to run right with a 34PICT-3 and a 003 distributor I gave up on them and went with a years matching 30PICT-2 and a 205T distributor. The difference was amazing, the engine has never run this good! One tap on the gas to set the choke and it starts with no baby sitting and runs all day long with no misfire, stumble or hesitation ever.

Could I gain a HP or two with the 34PICT? Maybe but I will never miss it on a 1000lb Buggy riding the trails in the hills. You might in the heavier Super Beetle on the freeway.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

Agree with all of the above except that numbers matching with a 30 PICT 2 carburetor would have been a 113 905 205 M distributor. The only real difference being that the 113 M uses the short cap and rotor as do the earlier distributors. The 113 M and T even use the same vacuum canister on a vacuum advance only distributor so it's a small correction.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
After struggling to get my 1600 SP to run right with a 34PICT-3 and a 003 distributor I gave up on them and went with a years matching 30PICT-2 and a 205T distributor. The difference was amazing, the engine has never run this good! One tap on the gas to set the choke and it starts with no baby sitting and runs all day long with no misfire, stumble or hesitation ever.

I agree. A stock 1600 sgl port simply do not have the "suction" needed to get the 34 Solex working properly without some hefty mods.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300cc single port carb and dizzy combo?? Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Agree with all of the above except that numbers matching with a 30 PICT 2 carburetor would have been a 113 905 205 M distributor. The only real difference being that the 113 M uses the short cap and rotor as do the earlier distributors. The 113 M and T even use the same vacuum canister on a vacuum advance only distributor so it's a small correction.

The chart I looked it up on from this site listed both the M and the T. Other sources may differ but as long as they both use the same vacuum canister they are both a match as neither one has a mechanical advance component.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: