Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar panel wiring
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
medicmaniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

Wondering how to get the solar panel wires through the rear air vent and into the cab. 89 vanagon. Which side is easier? Is there any getting around drilling a hole once I route through the air vent? Ty!!
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

I haven’t got that far yet on our westy, but on panels on the roof are planned. I’ve been reading of several routing options in these threads -
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

If you have a tip top there are fewer clean options.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

What kind of car do you have?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

Where is your battery going to be?

Example: if under bench seat on passenger side then you would be putting a hole for the positive wire to the Alternator/starter connection to charge it while the engine is running. so that dictates putting your wiring on that side.

Mine is coming in through the passenger side air vent down along the power steering lines to go through a factory hole of passenger side forward engine compartment to follow along subframe to the rear bench seat body.
The my direct connection to the Alternator cable is at the bottom of picture.(it was easier then connecting to starter on the Syncro)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note the rubber hose around the battery cable to protect against chaffing. Same on solar cables.

I had the holes in the bench seat metal from when the P.O. had LPG Fuel tank installed under the bench seat. Both battery and solar cables are protected from chaffing even though the red battery cable doesn't appear to be.

If the P.O. did not have the large holes cut through the firewall I would have use waterproof cable glands.

Coming off the roof through the air vent I have the solar wiring quick disconnects on the roof by the Yakima A1 Tower so the panels can be removed easily.

Another note: Use a Silver Sharpie to id the black cabled pos. & neg. especially at the ends!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

Not sure what you're driving, but if it is a westy, you can hide the wiring by running it into the pop top (I have a gland behind the awning) and then drill two holes in the back just above the back hatch on the driver's side. There is room between the tent and where the pop top rests when closed (you can see the white line where the seal rubs on the paint. This drops right into the spot where the rear defroster wiring lives and there's already an access hole on the inside.. From there, ran behind / through cabinets. It's very clean looking.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

Steve M write: My solution for that and the place to mount a solar panel:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661562&start=80

Don't know why people are so afraid to drill holes. A huge number of us do and no van I know of has rusted to death as a result, nor has anyone drowned inside because of rain leaks.

There are a ton of ways to waterproof a neat entry point for wires that don't look like a fraternity dorm room with wires draped all over the place. If it were mine, I'd drill a hole under the plywood support cross member and just behind the left rear gutter post and thread the wire into the area I wanted it.

There are these: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ancor-marine--through-deck-wire-seal--P009_275_003_512
and these
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/ancor-watertight-wire-seal-for-flat-cable/765012

I actually would use nothing and seal around the hole with 4200. Neater, and will never, ever leak. That way you have the advantage of having a hole large enough to pass the plug through if it can't be removed for an Ancor type of pass through.

Or you could take a bronze piece of threaded rod--a section from a 1/4-20 bolt and drill a ˝" hole. Then a pair of rubber or silicone washers on either side of the tin with metal washers and nuts to hold eyelet terminals on either side. That way, your equipment or wiring is easily removed. Put some Plastic Dip on to seal the exterior connection from corrosion. If no threads are above the upper nut, then it will be a low and unobtrusive connection.

Lots of clean neat ways to skin this cat and have it look "right".
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

I runned the cables down the driver’s side vent intake. I drilled a hole with an air drill, which is small enough to fit inside the triangle you see back there when you take off the inside panel. I ran the cables through there and gooped up the opening to seal it. My charge controller is stuck on the inside metal with magnets.
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

This is how I routed my wires. I used a step up drill bit to drill a hole big enough for my wires from the outside to the inside. I have two wires from the solar panel and another wire that is from my light bar. I tried using a 3M sticky zip tie holder on the rain gutter but the wires over powered it, so I drilled into the rain gutter and zip tied it all down.

Last edited by pemz0r on Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

There is a bulkhead (panel you need to drill through) between the empty space behind the air vent and the cabin.

I removed the vent, and drilled through the bulkhead (the drill was pointed towards the front of the van). The wire then comes out under the bench seat, where my house battery is.

It’s been 10 years no problems. Be sure to leave slack in the wires behind the vent, so any water that trails along wire will drip off at it’s lowest point and not into the cabin.

-Rob
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

I used one of these I got off eBay for our EV

https://www.amazon.com/Link-Solar-Weatherproof-Pro...&psc=1

I'm not in the least bit shy about drilling into a van.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?

Last edited by Zeitgeist 13 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

pemz0r wrote:
drill a hole big enough for my wires from the outside to the inside. I have two wires from the solar panel

Those wires look huge. Shocked

Does anyone know the principle re:

Two wires from the Solar panel to the controller
    .vs.
    One wire and chassis ground?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

Then again, one could use portable solar panels with a nice waterproof plug on the side of your van closest to the onboard electronics suite. Just sayin’…

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
pemz0r wrote:
drill a hole big enough for my wires from the outside to the inside. I have two wires from the solar panel

Those wires look huge. Shocked

Does anyone know the principle re:

Two wires from the Solar panel to the controller
    .vs.
    One wire and chassis ground?

Sodo, that was exactly my question.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

I ran both so the ground could be run through my house battery shuf off switch.

y u rune klassik?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I ran both so the ground could be run through my house battery shuf off switch.

Someone may have told me this but it didn't stick, and I forgot.
But it seems worthy of repeating anyway, people wanna know.

"Solar"....wheremore overbuilt = more fun.👍🏽 Its a custom 👍🏽👍🏽
But I ran just "one wire" thus don't wanna be told I did it wrong. Twisted Evil

So what's the reasoning for the shutoff on ground rather than the hot??

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

For main disconnect, ground is better to get rid of than hot. If you remove the positive and somehow the positive connects with the body then there are sparks. If you remove the ground from the battery the positive can't do any harm.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
positive connects with the body then there are sparks.

Positive from the alternator? I guess that could be something like 95 amps etc but it has to be "at speed".
Engine running during this battery disconnect event, which would be strange but possible I suppose. Perhaps an M-TDI ?

I suppose a solar panel could put out a 7 amps spark at high noon.
7 amps is exciting in a photon foraging aspect but it's not a very exciting spark, if even visible at all.
Have you ever seen the filament on a 7.5A fuse? It's like a human hair.
One of the thicker hairs though, like those strewn about upon scratching an itch......

Am I looking at this wrong? I still don't see the concern.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

My reasoning was that I didn't want any random ground back-feeding into house systems, but then again if I have engineered the system correctly that probably wouldn't happen. I'm not a great person to trust about these things, since I'm kinda new to rudimentary camper wiring, but I do think ground is the preferred shutoff pathway.

y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

In regards to drilling holes in my body my motto is " no new holes" mainly because anything and everything I have added to the vehicle I consider to not be a permanent addition in that particular location. If it goes through another "mod" and gets moved then I have a hole drilled that I no longer need.
If I absolutely need a hole I'll drill it as I have done underneath the Syncro.
Right now there are plenty of existing holes I can make use of!

As Duncan says there are plenty of leak proof solutions to passing cables from the outside to the inside that work.

For anyone not familar with the terms 4200 & 5200 they are 3M sealants. 4200 is a good long life sealant and the 5200 is permanent sealant as in you are going to damage something removing it. Sikaflex also has similar sealants.

As far as just running a solar ground to the body...it's just another ground wire to clean eventually no matter how well sealed from the elements.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel wiring Reply with quote

Steve--As a guy familiar with good sized powerboats, I'm sure you have tons of through hulls and know how to mount them properly. If you add stabilizers or trim tabs, there have to be new holes. We don't worry about them on boats so why worry about pieces of tin we call cars? If a hole doesn't get seen, I slap ss washers and a bolt through with sealant under the washers. If it gets seen, I slap some Interlux flag Blue on it. If the idea changes and the hole is no longer needed I weld it up, fair and paint it............well, actually not. I put some Gorilla tape over it and hit it with Flag Blue. The idea is, when I get enough welding do do, I'll hit all those spots and clean them up. Someday..........Yes, I know, there are 7 days a week and none are called Someday. That's why I don't have to rush into getting everything all pretty.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: