Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I may be looking to Subaru the hell out of this bus.

More later.

it heard you. Its like saying you dont know what do with your bonus. the fridge, or dryer, or something hears you. You typed that out from inside the bus, didnt you?
hope you get everything sorted. breakdowns suck
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

oofff

that means bad things. if the vac pump seized it probably took out the timing belt.

or worse...the oil pump wasn't being driven and it went pop in a real bad way.

i'm going to get on a bit of a soap box here with diesels....

been around them pretty much my whole life. the ones i grew up with were a keep the air, fuel and oil clean and they pretty much were bulletproof.

the last diesel (besides agricultural equipment) i ran daily was a 89 jetta. that said, diesels imho are a false economy for those that don't really need them.

i always love the argument they are cheap to run. they are not. one sniff of water in the fuel is buckets of $$

hate to see it end this way.

i'm in the middle of a roosa master injection pump rebuild for the skid steer. every fucking time i touch a diesel i feel like the chimney sweep from mary poppins and despite a 2 hour shower i somehow manage to smell like a muffler on a peterbuilt for a week.

hard to get some stanky for the hang low when you smell like an old boot

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

We're all together at the friend's house. Bus is here too.

I'll write more later when I have a chance to get on my laptop.

Meanwhile, a cute pic of Silas unpacking for the night.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

Did the tow truck driver allow you to ride with him in his truck? I don’t think they do around here anymore (Covid)
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

Katherine ordered Chinese food. This was my fortune.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

Soon Under Bus And Renovating Undersides
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

jeez

china can even fuck up a vacation

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

Yeah, if the pump was pushed up then it disengaged the oil pump drive…

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Yeah, if the pump was pushed up then it disengaged the oil pump drive…

I knew I was attached to the oil pump, but I couldn't remember how exactly that was all put together internally.

Aha, yep, that's right. So I definitely had no oil pressure for some amount of time.

But, what are the odds that the clamp landed in that cargo basket?!? That's crazy. I can't imagine the way that world work out. Even knowing that the engine lid doesn't latch. For those not familiar with that engine, the pump is practically against the fire wall. And there would be obstacles like hoses and wires and the alternator in the way too.

Dammit, every time I start to think it's time to consider installing air conditioning, something blows up again!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing

Last edited by vwwestyman on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

Intermediate shaft turns the vacuum pump, slot I bottom of vacuum pump drives oil pump.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

Here's what happened today.

Katherine was driving and I was in the back with baby Silas entertaining him. The engine suddenly died. I noted billowing smoke and also black exhaust coming out the tail pipe (separately) and shouted for her to pull over. We were in the center lane with all this smoke and the flashers on, and dumbasses still insisted on passing us rather than letting us get over.

Anyway, as we got to the shoulder, there was what seemed like a bunch of smoke coming out of the vents. Afraid of fire, I got Silas out of the car seat as quick as possible. Thankfully, the smoke quit pretty fast and there was no actual fire.

But I did note a lot of fluid pouring out. I figured one of the fuel filters had broken or come loose or something. So I was momentarily pissed that had happened, but quickly noticed that it was pink. So antifreeze. That's when I knew it was real bad. Meanwhile, it was raining and Katherine stepped in fire ants.

I was having issues getting ahold of AAA, and in the mean time a couple in an S-10 (thankfully the model with the little jump seat in the back) stopped to help. They offered to take us up to the Wal-Mart that was at the exit about a mile up and we accepted.

Silas' car seat went in the front of the truck, the wife drove, and the man, myself and Katherine jammed into the back.

As they drove, the guy started telling us how his probation (or maybe parole?) officer wouldn't like him being around kids. And started telling about how in Alabama you get a felony for writing a check over $500 and something about the (equivalent of) Children's Services was involved and they'd been living in the truck.

That's when I started developing a plan of what I'd do if the wife didn't exit...

Thankfully she did, and pulled up to the Wal-Mart. Katherine wisely told me to not get out of the truck until she'd gotten Silas out. It took a tense couple minutes for the wife to get the little half-door open because the latch was broken or something. We were so jammed in the back seat, it was easy to make a show of how it was difficult to get out and take some time. (I felt it would be rude to just refuse to get out.)

The man did insist on helping get a dry "buggy" (that's what they call shopping carts in the south) and when we offered to give them some money or buy them lunch or something he declined.

So even though he kinda freaked us out with the felony stuff, in the end they were kind and helpful and their help was much appreciated.

Inside Wal-Mart, we tried to start looking for trailers to rent and all that, but didn't get anywhere due to places being closed and relative difficulty of doing it on cell phones combined with being somewhat shell-shocked and also exhausted. Katherine got ahold of her friend who we were on the way to visit and lived about 45 minutes away from where we were. Because it was a little quieter, we were making these phone calls at the edge of the Vision Center in the Wal-Mart, and the lady working there overheard and brought us some chairs to use.

I finally was able to get AAA tracked down (that took multiple phone calls for a variety of reasons) and we walked over to the Wendy's that was across the parking lot to get lunch and wait for the friend to arrive. Their dining room was closed, but when the manager who came to the door heard our plight, she let us in. They were even concerned about the AC being too cold for the baby!

Meanwhile, a person from AAA called me to update on finding a tow truck and I mentioned that we were waiting at the Wendys but the driver should call me . Shortly after that, the friend arrived and took me back to the Bus. The AAA lady called during that drive, and I told her I was going back to the Bus to wait for the driver.

Something happened that there was a miscommunication and the driver thought I was needing to be picked up at Wendy's! And my phone number had been passed to him had two digits transposed, so he couldn't call me. I was about ready to try to call AAA to figure out what was going on when I saw the truck go on down (and he honked when he saw the Bus) to the next exit to come get me. He'd been at the Wendy's for about a half hour trying to call me, and decided to come try to find me.

So now we're at the friend's house. Trying to decide how to get the Bus (and us!) back to Kansas. My preference is it wouldn't be stuck in the friend's driveway for a long time... Thinking the quickest option may be to rent a U-Haul and flat trailer to get it back. But we're not sure if the baby/car seat combo will work well in the cab of one of those trucks. Can't find a place that would rent a pickup and allow towing and also allow one-way. If we determine that the car seat won't work safely in the U-Haul, I'll probably drive and Katherine and Silas will fly. I did put up a quote request on U-Ship but I am not optimistic that'll end up working out.

And that gets you all up to date on this ill-fated road trip. My trip to Wisconsin a month ago was nearly problem-free. This one has been problem-full!

But, nobody died. It could be much much worse.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Did the tow truck driver allow you to ride with him in his truck? I don’t think they do around here anymore (Covid)

Yep, that was no problem. Once he tracked me down!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
oofff

that means bad things. if the vac pump seized it probably took out the timing belt.

or worse...the oil pump wasn't being driven and it went pop in a real bad way.

i'm going to get on a bit of a soap box here with diesels....

been around them pretty much my whole life. the ones i grew up with were a keep the air, fuel and oil clean and they pretty much were bulletproof.

the last diesel (besides agricultural equipment) i ran daily was a 89 jetta. that said, diesels imho are a false economy for those that don't really need them.

i always love the argument they are cheap to run. they are not. one sniff of water in the fuel is buckets of $$

hate to see it end this way.

i'm in the middle of a roosa master injection pump rebuild for the skid steer. every fucking time i touch a diesel i feel like the chimney sweep from mary poppins and despite a 2 hour shower i somehow manage to smell like a muffler on a peterbuilt for a week.

hard to get some stanky for the hang low when you smell like an old boot

I don't think I can disagree with much in here. My first few diesels were Rabbit diesels and while they were slugs, they were somehow fun. I also drove an '86 Cabriolet for a few years that I'd swapped a Rabbit diesel into. About that time, is when diesel became more expensive than gasoline and never really went back to ever being cheaper.

But I had a 2002 Golf TDI for a long time and it was a pretty great car. I retired it a year and a half ago with way over 350,000 miles and still miss it.

I think for me, part of the appeal of diesel/TDIs is they are somewhat "unique" compared to more normal cars. But I certainly recognize that, especially with improvements in gasoline economy, the efficiency doesn't really tip the balance to diesel much anymore.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

I just wanted to say, before the trip I squirted a little lube into the ports on the door hinge, and flushed out all of the dirt and junk from the lower track. And so the sliding door works really well right now.

Now that I've written that, it might fall off or something.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

man, sorry for the troubles.

WTF are the chances of getting into a truck with a kid diddler and a kid Shocked

goddam bro, you are gonna tell your son some wild stories. next you'll run into a show curtain ring salesman and going the wrong way in a lebaron convertible

if you need anything let me know. i'd happily paypal you a few bux just for the story alone

anyway, back to diesels....

yea, i get the appeal. i was running mine on home heating oil when it was .60/gal.

drove the piss out of that old jetta. once i was on head gasket #2 due to oil intermix that was it. she was tired anyway. played briefly with vw's current offerings and meh... juice wasn't worth the squeeze anymore.

i got out of all the diesels at the right time. i made a bucket of $$ selling off all that shit in the grease car phase when everyone had a hot nut to waste even more time and money running on grease.

other than the fleet of ag equipment i'm all set. even at that once they got into tier 1 shit i made the decision i'll keep the old girls going

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
man, sorry for the troubles.

WTF are the chances of getting into a truck with a kid diddler and a kid Shocked

goddam bro, you are gonna tell your son some wild stories. next you'll run into a show curtain ring salesman and going the wrong way in a lebaron convertible

if you need anything let me know. i'd happily paypal you a few bux just for the story alone

anyway, back to diesels....

yea, i get the appeal. i was running mine on home heating oil when it was .60/gal.

drove the piss out of that old jetta. once i was on head gasket #2 due to oil intermix that was it. she was tired anyway. played briefly with vw's current offerings and meh... juice wasn't worth the squeeze anymore.

i got out of all the diesels at the right time. i made a bucket of $$ selling off all that shit in the grease car phase when everyone had a hot nut to waste even more time and money running on grease.

other than the fleet of ag equipment i'm all set. even at that once they got into tier 1 shit i made the decision i'll keep the old girls going

That Cabriolet I mentioned-I converted the engine in like 2004 or 2005. I did run it on 50% veggie oil for about 9 months of the year. I convinced the manager of the local Chipotle to save their fryer oil for me-which was pretty nice because they only fry tortillas so it always started pretty clean.

I built a simple filter setup with a couple 55 gallon plastic drums to filter the chip crumbs out.

What I did was, when the car would get to about 1/4 tank left is put about 5 gallons of oil into the tank, then immediately drive to the gas station to top the tank off with another 5 gallons of diesel fuel. It turned out to be like getting 90 MPG! (Counting what I was actually buying.) Was a lot of fun to drive that way.

I bought the Cabriolet specifically for the conversion project. I was driving this Rabbit diesel that I'd picked up super cheap one day, and started thinking about how the Cabriolets were totally Rabbit from the windshield forward.

And determined that I wanted to find a Cabriolet with a bad engine. Within a couple days, one showed up on eBay that didn't run well and the seller wrote stuff about how he was so frustrated he was about to roll it into the "poop pond." I bought that car super cheap.

Actually drove it (after hooking up the vacuum lines) for a couple months until the muffler fell off, and about the same time the Rabbit's clutch went out. That's when I decided to pull the trigger on the conversion. And it was great!

But I digress.

I appreciate the offer-I may want to schedule some kind of consult when I'm ready to decide what to do next.

I remember thinking LeBaron convertibles were pretty cool.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

Laughing

'you're going the wrong way!'

this joker wants to race Twisted Evil

you don't need me. you're smart enough to pull off a subaru swap, no doubt. i have faith in ya

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

It’s already a TDI, stuff another back in. Coolant & smoke indicates more of an overheat scenario. It sounds like the failure was due to something that was not quite sorted correctly.

When gas prices hit $5+, I had just gotten a TDI cheap & tossed a transmission in it. That car had a stage three tune & would pound the shit out of all the newest sports car offerings & made the Fast & Furious crowd even madder when they got coal rolled, once I got in front of them at WOT, they had to give up because they couldn’t see. And I still got 50+ MPG.

While everyone else was collecting veggie oil & converting their cars to run it straight, or worse yet, trying to make biodiesel out of it, I bought a centrifuge & ran used ATF. I could run it straight, mix it with diesel if needed on a long trip (but with 1,300 mile cruise range, that rarely happened.), or I found that I could run up to 50% used motor oil in a tank of diesel before it started burning too blue, it still wasn’t as bad as a 100,000 mile Mitsubishi or Caravan off the line.

All in all, I probably laid down 250,000 miles on free fuel & I plan to keep on the with the new beast.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

Blown engine, raining, bad phone number , fire ants

Rest of the year is looking up, Dave!!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF fuel gauge suddenly reversed operation: A live trip report Reply with quote

oof! Sorry to hear about your trouble - glad mom and the kiddo are all OK!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: