Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck in Vegas!! Need brakes!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnytod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Stuck in Vegas!! Need brakes! Reply with quote

As much fun as Vegas can be, it happened that I have to do my brakes here.

Does anyone know a good VW brakes shop which works on Saturday and is reasonably priced? I could also drive outside of Vegas if need be

Do you guys know where I can find on Saturday to buy the front disk brakes pads? I have already the parts for the back drum brakes

Vehicle: VW 1982, diesel , Adventurewagen (higher roof which maybe a problem for some shops to put on the lift)

Appreciate any help because we have to leave for the Grand Canyon today
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Vegas!! Need brakes! Reply with quote

NAPA

Auto Zone

If not on the shelf, a day away.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Vegas!! Need brakes! Reply with quote

There is a VW parts house and shop to the east side of Vegas on what I believe used to be old US93, sorry don't know its name. Old US93 is a nice straight road that heads SSW towards Henderson so sticks out on the map.

I don't know that there is anything all that special about the front pads, so you may be able to get them at most any FLAPS. You don't need a whole lot of tools to just change out the pads, just an extra long screwdriver or pry bar, and whatever tool is required to remove the pins that hold the pads in place. There may have been more than one design of caliper used in your year so it helps to know what kind you have so you know which pads to buy.

It is best to have the correct size box end wrench to open the bleeder valve on the calipers (maybe 11mm?), but you could also buy a syringe or turkey baster to suck some fluid out of the brake fluid reservoir before pushing the pistons back in, so you don't make a mess.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Vegas!! Need brakes! Reply with quote

Front? Rear? Pads, shoes discs?
Enquiring minds want to know!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Vegas!! Need brakes! Reply with quote

Why would you leave on a trip like that in a 30Yr old vehicle without some Pre maintenance? Brakes are not something that just break, you can look and see they are bad and should be kept safe and maintained if you're driving it 10 miles or 10K miles.

I agree with the others, those parts should be easy to get and any repair shop or Mobile Mechanic should be able to fit them and get back on the road.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Vegas!! Need brakes! Reply with quote

My el cheapo Auto Zone Everlast pads were gone from new to 1/8” in 4,000 miles!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is only half the distance my last across the Country trip was!

I carry a spare set of pads for those “Oh crap!” Moments, but never want to actually use them…….

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Vegas!! Need brakes! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

You don't wear out even the cheapest pads in 4'000 miles. You have other issues, like a stuck piston. You know better than that. Jeez
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Vegas!! Need brakes! Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

You don't wear out even the cheapest pads in 4'000 miles. You have other issues, like a stuck piston. You know better than that. Jeez

Sorry but no.
Rotors were new with the pads,
Pistons are good, pivot pins are clean and lubricated, pad slide areas in the caliper are clean, rust free and lubricated.

The amount of black brake dust on both wheels was beyond astounding.

New NAPA pads are wearing much better, just checked them on Friday.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Vegas!! Need brakes! Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

You haven’t used URO parts, have you?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Vegas!! Need brakes! Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

There is certainly no guaranty of that, especially in these days of COVID related shortages and loss of quality control.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: