Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stretching clutch cable.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

Hi folks. I have a strange issue. I have what acts like a stretching clutch cable. At first I thought it was the classic loose tranny ground scenario, which part of it may have been. I cleaned and tightened the transmission to body ground and checked the Bowden tube and all appear normal. After about 15 minutes of driving, shifting the bus starts to act like my clutch is out of adjustment again. Any thoughts? I don't think it is the cross shaft, because after it cools down it seems to be in adjustment again. Is there another ground I am missing perhaps?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

So, does it feel like it stretches when it warms up, but goes back to normal when it cools down?
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
After about 15 minutes of driving, shifting the bus starts to act like my clutch is out of adjustment again.

Can you expand on what you are experiencing?

Like hard to go into gear? Or...?

What's the condition of your shift bushings and coupler?

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

check the transmission ground strap. If it is a bad or corroded connection then the clutch cable carries the load and gets hot. Also check the last weld where the tube ends. If it is bad the tube can flex. If you have to weld it make sure whomever does it doesn't poke thru the tube to leave a spot the cable can chaff on.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
So, does it feel like it stretches when it warms up, but goes back to normal when it cools down?
yes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
After about 15 minutes of driving, shifting the bus starts to act like my clutch is out of adjustment again.

Can you expand on what you are experiencing?

Like hard to go into gear? Or...?

What's the condition of your shift bushings and coupler?
Yes, on start up and early driving, shifting is pretty normal. Then it starts grinding into gear like the clutch isn’t fully disengaged.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
check the transmission ground strap. If it is a bad or corroded connection then the clutch cable carries the load and gets hot. Also check the last weld where the tube ends. If it is bad the tube can flex. If you have to weld it make sure whomever does it doesn't poke thru the tube to leave a spot the cable can chaff on.
Hi Steve. Transmission ground strap was the first thing I did. Cleaned and tightened. I’ll see if the cable is hot next time I drive it. Bowden tube looks good, but I will double check.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Yes, on start up and early driving, shifting is pretty normal. Then it starts grinding into gear like the clutch isn’t fully disengaged.

no idea what you have here. T1? T4?

either way, sounds to me like a failing pilot bearing.

i've had 2 T4 buses that shifted fine cold but couldn't get to shift after about 10-15 mins. after 1/2 hour, you couldn't shift at all

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

Does the pedal free play seem to change and then change back or is it just the difficulty in changing gears that changes?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

no idea what you have here. T1? T4?

either way, sounds to me like a failing pilot bearing.

i've had 2 T4 buses that shifted fine cold but couldn't get to shift after about 10-15 mins. after 1/2 hour, you couldn't shift at all
Too lazy to put it in my sig line. T1 with OG tranny. 1971 Westy.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

I’ve seen cables start snapping strands. This causes cable stretch but you tighten the wing nut and it just stretches more. Doesn’t seem to be your case.

Might be the needle bearing going. Not too hard on a 1971 to change. How long has it been since you looked at the clutch?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I’ve seen cables start snapping strands. This causes cable stretch but you tighten the wing nut and it just stretches more. Doesn’t seem to be your case.

Might be the needle bearing going. Not too hard on a 1971 to change. How long has it been since you looked at the clutch?

Same here - really sounds like a pilot bearing or some other issue. I have had clutch cables stretch because they're breaking as Aeromech said, but they never go back to normal when cooled down obviously.

Is your pedal freeplay changing?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Thanks!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Same here - really sounds like a pilot bearing or some other issue. I have had clutch cables stretch because they're breaking as Aeromech said, but they never go back to normal when cooled down obviously.

Is your pedal freeplay changing?
I’ll check freeplay. I need to do pilot bearing and all shift bushings/ coupler. Thank you!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Just run a band clamp around the torsion tube and the clutch tube and tighten it up well, no need to do any welding. One can even just use cordage if they are good with knots.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Just run a band clamp around the torsion tube and the clutch tube and tighten it up well, no need to do any welding. One can even just use cordage if they are good with knots.
Thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

if the ONLY reason you are worried about the cable is because the trans shifts hard, check the oil in it, and also consider a new pilot bearing.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
if the ONLY reason you are worried about the cable is because the trans shifts hard, check the oil in it, and also consider a new pilot bearing.
I drove it quite a bit today and I think I need to adjust the clutch cable once more, but more importantly I think it’s time for shift coupler and bushings. The cable didn’t seem to stretch any and I noticed if I went from neutral to first it would grind going in to first. If I went into second before shifting into first it would not grind. This was while being at a stop. This all started when I was jacking my bus up and down a lot and putting it on ramps etc. to do brake work. I think shifter stuff that was already old and decrepit just got even more decrepit due to the flexing.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

the syncho in 2nd is stopping the shaft from spinning. Then it goes into gear. It could be a bad pilot bearing or a warped clutch disc too. Use a tape measure to check free play like in the video at the link below I set up a couple years ago to assist someone else.

http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/clutch_freeplay.AVI
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stretching clutch cable. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the syncho in 2nd is stopping the shaft from spinning. Then it goes into gear. It could be a bad pilot bearing or a warped clutch disc too. Use a tape measure to check free play like in the video at the link below I set up a couple years ago to assist someone else.

http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/clutch_freeplay.AVI

I think I measured about an inch, but I’ll check it again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: