Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO, won't start
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO, won't start Reply with quote

1980 2.0 aircooled has fuel, spark from coil, checking plugs, cranking, trying to fire, but not quite there - help please.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO won't start Reply with quote

It has fuel in the tank or fuel at the injectors?

Spark at the coil or spark at the plugs?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO won't start Reply with quote

Fuel in the tank - spark at the coil - just changed the plugs cuz they did not look good.

Husband is asking what the fuel pump should read - volts?

Seems like we have fuel, but maybe not getting enough fuel to get the engine running.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO won't start Reply with quote

Can you be specific about your engine and ignition set up? All OEM or……something else?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO won't start Reply with quote

I’ll post a link to this in the Bay forum. You might get faster advice on troubleshooting.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO, won't start Reply with quote

What altitude you're at ?

When we were at Grand Canyon, engine died at a stop sign right in front of shuttle bus. Bus Driver look = not very happy (or helpfull) . My face = sweat like hell because were on an incline going UP (to push it out of the way). When out of the way, cooled out and start thinking. How high are we now !

It would not restart until i play with advance.

After when down in altitude, had to adjust advance.

English is a second language to me
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: SOLVED! Re: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO, won't start Reply with quote

Thank you everyone!! We are running Very Happy

Like I told my husband - the down side to an "older" vehicle, is that parts are hard to find; the up side is that the engine is easier to work on.

I believe altitude is partly to blame. We are in Alamosa, Colorado, just outside Great Sand Dunes National Park. Altitude for sure!

We used the starter fluid method which got us running (THANK YOU SAMBA postings). Just by chance, yesterday morning we were camped across the way from Darryl Auch, air-cooled engine builder. He left his card with us (VW owners are the best!) and I held on to it. I left him a message as we were trouble shooting, and although he is on the road traveling himself, he kindly returned my call. Darryl's first question was what is the altitude!

We will be looking into possibly replacing our fuel pump, filter, and whatever the cold start piece is (I just drive Sparky; I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV) when we get home. In the meantime, one HUGE shoutout to Darryl Auch and all of you Samba members who responded to our call for help.

Safe travels - Judy (and John, and Chloe, the doggie)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO, won't start Reply with quote

At altitude these engines when tuned to drive near sea level are known to dump in too much fuel, can't say if that is your problem or not. If it is running to rich to start, a possible solution is to disconnect the wire going to the TS-2 (temperature sensor 2 or TSII) sensor and ground it out, another one is to disconnect the electrical plug from the CSV (cold start valve). You may have to give the engine some throttle as well.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO, won't start Reply with quote

Glad you are back on the road! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO, won't start Reply with quote

Is it the original fuel injection on has it been converted to carbs? Fuel injection should compensate for altitude I would think. My 1.9 does just fine (just slowly) at altitude.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO, won't start Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
Is it the original fuel injection on has it been converted to carbs? Fuel injection should compensate for altitude I would think. My 1.9 does just fine (just slowly) at altitude.

There is no compensation for altitude during starting, and no compensation once running on the Federal models that lack an O2 sensor. The L-jets and D-jets were notorious for having starting problems at altitude. I worked at a ski area for years and of the hundreds of vehicles in the parking lot these cars and vans were the worst of all for starting.

You can not compare either a Digijet fueled engine or a Digifant fueled engine to an L-jet they are different beasts.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! 1980 2.0 Aircooled Stuck in CO, won't start Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had the pleasure of meeting Judy and John (and Chloe!) on Thursday morning.

They passed through Manhattan and were able to time a stop for when I had an hour without a client. It was a nice visit and they have a pretty Van with a sweet updated interior setup!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: