Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First time VW owner.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Racecar23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Hey guys I picked up a single cab to restore for my daughter. I have a few questions.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What are these two spots?

What’s this brace?

Thanks for the help!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Welcome!

That's quite the pile you've stepped into there, you must be one devoted Dad. Shocked Shocked Shocked

The patched areas on the front fenders are the least rusty spots on that vehicle, someone has cut out a rust hole and welded (?) in a new patch.
The mystery brace looks like it was once the divider that was vertical between the deck structure and the cargo floor between the fuel tank cover hatches (that's one sitting on the bed under the mystery part).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Racecar23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

I ran across some info on a VW Tieflader or low loader. Could this truck possibly be one of those?
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

… I'd keep that nice truck, for me AND buy the-one-I-love something cool, and reliable > like a Civic...
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Racecar23 wrote:
I ran across some info on a VW Tieflader or low loader. Could this truck possibly be one of those?

Could be some sort of coachbuilt, VW didn't make it like that. There appears to be some reinforcing added, what's on the frame underneath?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Racecar23 wrote:

That is quite an ambitious project, hats off to you for tackling it. I see the brace off the frame you are talking about and the extra square metal in the bed area. It is probably a home made job to strengthen the frame due to rust, but it also could be a Tieflader. Take more pictures and post up a picture of the m-code plate mounted behind the passenger seat. Do some more research, there are several good pics of the Tieflader on this website.
http://dropgates.com/
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

wow. I would respectfully recommend stepping back for a minute and doing some math involving the costs and time associated with restoring that truck versus buying one that needs much less work. This truck will take massive amounts of time and money.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Racecar23 wrote:

Not dash your hopes of something rare but...

It's not impossible but more likely hacked.
I'm seen a lot more trucks hacked like that that real low loaders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Hate to be a downer too

But Lind is a person worth listening to
Racecar23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Here’s a couple more pictures of that brace. The truck is a 56 so it doesn’t have a m-code tag on it.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

well, if that picture shows the truck in your shop, on your lift, with your other project on your rotisserie, you have what is needed to do the work.

from here it looks like you will need just about every repair panel produced for a Single Cab.
and a pressed bumper for the front.

I like these old girls and wish you good luck. I hope your daughter is a toddler still, it will take some time Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Being Racecar23 is a sheetmetal guy I bet this is going to be an epic build. Keep moving forward this cheerleader is looking happy to see another build and I love 1956 Wink

There are many great bus builds here for inspiration and to ask questions. I liked what sgellis did on his 64.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Racecar23, reach out to the fabricators here and order the funky green metal. The funky green is called Gerson and the fit is much better than others.

I personally like buying my parts from Ronnie of Bustoration as I can easily pick up the phone and ask him questions and then I get the right part I need being my 67 bus is still new to me after 13 years as I was only into British cars exclusively.
Ronnie's Bustoration site.
http://www.bustoration.com/bfont-color6b8e23Sheet-Metal--Rust-Repair-Panelsfontb_c_11.html

Split Bus Projects/Builds and Preservations
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627245

mandraks wrote:
well, if that picture shows the truck in your shop, on your lift, with your other project on your rotisserie, you have what is needed to do the work.

from here it looks like you will need just about every repair panel produced for a Single Cab.
and a pressed bumper for the front.

I like these old girls and wish you good luck. I hope your daughter is a toddler still, it will take some time Smile

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Racecar23 wrote:

Here’s a couple more pictures of that brace. The truck is a 56 so it doesn’t have a m-code tag on it.

I do not think your bus is a Westy conversion SO low loader. It could be a coachbuilder conversion ramp side. There is more information on these on the dropgate website I posted a link to above. The brace on the frame looks really similar to the know braces, but the piano hinge for the ramp side does not look like the other know examples I have seen. Of course the original two smaller hinges could have broken off because of the rust and someone could have replaced it with a piano hinge.
My opinion is it is your truck and it needs a ton of sheet metal replacement work. If you want a low loader ramp side truck rebuild one that same way. Just study all the pictures on http://dropgates.com/
Racecar23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I’ll post pictures of the progress on the truck. The truck is a little tougher than I wanted but it’s what I could afford. Rust doesn’t scare me. The truck is solid where it counts. It’s definitely fixable and deserves to be fixed.
FeveredMind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Racecar23 wrote:
Thanks everyone! I’ll post pictures of the progress on the truck. The truck is a little tougher than I wanted but it’s what I could afford. Rust doesn’t scare me. The truck is solid where it counts. It’s definitely fixable and deserves to be fixed.

I like your moxie and wish you luck! I’ll be following this build. It will be awesome to see a large project like this back on the road!
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Racecar23 wrote:
If you can't afford a nice truck, you really can't afford a crappy truck. I hate to sound negative, but this is the time when you need to think about whether you want to spend twice what a nice truck costs in money and effort to have something that is not nearly as nice. I highly recommend doing the math on this. You are about to be massively upside down on the least valuable model of bus, and the project won't be done anytime soon. The highway is littered with the corpses of people's hopeless project dreams. We see this all the time here. Again, sorry for being so negative, I just feel a need to warn good people who are about to make a very bad financial decision. I am happy to discuss the economics of it privately if you like, just zip me a PM.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Best wishes. That's a whole lot of work. With all that rust, you might as well make it a "tribute" low loader. The load area might be big enough to transport that quad. lol.

Everything can be saved with the right mindset, and smart use of funds. You've got a lot of welding ahead of you. Like someone else said, I hope your daughter is a toddler. That's going to take a lot of time to get back on the road if you're doing it yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Does your daughter want a welding project? If you and she are wanting to cut out rusty metal and weld in new solid metal, and are not concerned about costs, this is a good project to hone your cutting and welding skills on.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

i'd never sell that SC - it's really a lotta' work - a life times worth - just enjoy it - and when you need something for it, ask your daughter to turn the a/c on in her Civic and give you a ride…

If she loves it, like you do - what a great gift, it would be - NICE truck...

We bought this '60 in 1994 - the battery was placed in the bed - it sat there, so long, a hole developed and it dropped, down to the next level and in time, to the ground - it was hit and repaired in 1962, per the original owner - worked on it till 1999, when we put it on the road.

Initially, many of my expert friends, told me not to buy it, but we did any way - and now, they wanna' buy it - best not to listen to anyone- just do your thing and enjoy it...

Our son is now, almost 30 and the SC is parta' his trust - z

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Racecar23 wrote:
Thanks everyone .
If you can't afford a nice truck, you really can't afford a crappy truck. I hate to sound negative,,.

Never understood this line of thinking - I would say, "if you can't afford a nice truck, then maybe you can afford a crappy truck" - of coarse, he is not talking about affordability. Maybe this SC is just what he ran-across and had a vision …

A nice truck might cost $30K - I, for one, don't have that kinda' loot, just hangin' around, but I do have (or will have) the needed loot spread over a period of time and in finances, there is a cost to stretchen'-out the use our loot.

Havin' all the loot, at one time = an nice truck AND payin' as one goes = a "crappy" truck … transformed, into a nice anything

… not sayin' that Lind is being negative - am just sayin' there are a number of views to consider... z
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: