Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First time VW owner.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Lind has a point for sure but the rebuilding of your own bus can be a valuable part of the fun. If you have the time and the skills you can have a very worthy experience in doing much or all of the repairs and restoration work yourself. It's possible to collect the parts (used) you'll need for fair or even low prices with some creativity and persistance. A nice, useable SC will cost serious money as well nowadays.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

There was an Australian fellow, that posted on here by the name Schmidts, he found 2 single cabs in the out back, 1 for each of his children. Who both helped there father bring them both back to life, both the kids are fricking so proud of their father and the rescue and resurrection

I dont know how to postem up, maybe someone can help me
To me a very heart warming story of the dad and his kids.and how he made memories.it could be A Disney production back in the day.
Sometimes its not about the money, but memories a father and his child bond.

1.[ 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him] < 1st find

2.[ DELTA 55 SC from Australia] < second find

the kids have a youtube video boasting about there works
Very cool
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Racecar23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

I take pride in the vehicles that I restore. All of my old cars are BUILT NOT BOUGHT! I’m not in it to make money. I use projects like this to teach both of my kids to work with their hands which is a lost art these days. I’ll be sure to post pictures for all the haters out there. Thanks to the people with all of the positive words.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Ok kids, let's get started on this project!
First things first, off to the Doctor for a Tetanus shot!

Good luck! Looking forward to your progress!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

This is going to be an awesome build and I'm looking forward to the updates. Like I said previously Racecar23 is a sheet metal worker. Never underestimate the skillset of any metalworker. Let the art lessons begin. Cool

Racecar23 wrote:
I take pride in the vehicles that I restore. All of my old cars are BUILT NOT BOUGHT! I’m not in it to make money. I use projects like this to teach both of my kids to work with their hands which is a lost art these days. I’ll be sure to post pictures for all the haters out there. Thanks to the people with all of the positive words.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Racecar23 wrote:

That sounds exactly like the spirit that is needed for this project. Go for it, we'll be watching!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Racecar23 wrote:

Good for you. Dont worry about the naysayers, not everyone has the privilege to start with a rust free bus or large wallet. The advice provided is general in nature and does not apply to all people, especially those with skills and initiative. Look forward to the updates!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

looking forward to seeing this build.

im starting on a single cab too. yours is quite a bit nicer than mine. its gonna be a blast!

have fun! tetanus shots all around!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
There was an Australian fellow, that posted on here by the name Schmidts, he found 2 single cabs in the out back, 1 for each of his children. Who both helped there father bring them both back to life, both the kids are fricking so proud of their father and the rescue and resurrection

I dont know how to postem up, maybe someone can help me
To me a very heart warming story of the dad and his kids.and how he made memories.it could be A Disney production back in the day.
Sometimes its not about the money, but memories a father and his child bond.

1.[ 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him] < 1st find

2.[ DELTA 55 SC from Australia] < second find

the kids have a youtube video boasting about there works
Very cool
Thomas

Here are the threads.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=646602&highlight=paddock

This truck had only 19,000 miles on it!: It looks like it'd been in a warehouse since the late fifties, and ran. Collision damage, but an easier build I'd say.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731509&highlight=delta

Those Aussie SCs are much nicer to start with, and Thomas is giving great advice to find one like that. Which is not always so easy to do.
I don't think anyone is being a hater, just gotta be realistic that your SC is more of a project.
You can totally build that truck. I hope you have a great time doing it.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Clara, thanks for that,
Those kids are so proud and adorable....even have a lil attitude going on...but they should great family.

Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

I truly hope that the project is enjoyable for you. Every bus is a project, no matter how nice it is when you buy it. They all need stuff, some more than others. The thing I want above all is for people to have fun with their buses, and to that end I try to give people the best information that I know. I said my piece with the only intention of making your bus experience better.

With only one exception in the last 30 years, I build all my own shit and drive it everywhere.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: First time VW owner. Reply with quote

Well said Lind, as for me I appreciate all the info you post as factual and accurate…there are a few more, that truthfully helpful. Part of the older members on TS or pioneers. Please keep it up, most of the others it seems only parrot what they hear on the site..
Ok snuff already..sorry

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: