Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Master Cylinder - Use both brake sensors?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Dual Master Cylinder - Use both brake sensors? Reply with quote

I have a 1966 Split, and the master cylinder was upgraded to a dual master cylinder. The brake lights have been wired through the front brakes’ sensor and the rear brake sensor has nothing connected. I recently saw an image where both sensors were used - kind of splitting the 2 wires and having them each split to one prong on each of the sensors on the master cylinder.

Do folks usually use both sensors on a dual master cylinder? I just got a second sensor boot and was going to rig up some wiring to use both, but thought I would ask here if anyone has thoughts on using one vs both sensors…

Here is my 1966 Split Bus - Restoration Channel:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCPBRysmvrJlif2wzwEwiuwQ

2332 Torque Motor Build
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny2HwsKM9QT4LFpcSqP3QG0p

Engine Rebuild 1968cc Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny1JbZ2EgJQQ2awfo0koZRqz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder - Use both brake sensors? Reply with quote

I hooked them both up in parallel, figure if one quits working the other one would be the back up.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder - Use both brake sensors? Reply with quote

Mine only has One sensor
Haven't seen a dual sensor MC, maybe 66 is different?
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder - Use both brake sensors? Reply with quote

I've got a 66 that I "upgraded" to a 67 dual master cylinder with the 2 brake light switches. I hooked the original brake light wiring to switch connectors to one of them. Left the other one hooked to nothing. Thin air. That way if and when somebody tells me I have no brake lights I'll just swap the wiring over to the other switch and reply "how about now?" Smile
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder - Use both brake sensors? Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
I've got a 66 that I "upgraded" to a 67 dual master cylinder with the 2 brake light switches. I hooked the original brake light wiring to switch connectors to one of them. Left the other one hooked to nothing. Thin air. That way if and when somebody tells me I have no brake lights I'll just swap the wiring over to the other switch and reply "how about now?" Smile

Sound advice^
When I up graded to Dual MC for disc, I did notice a "Plugged" hole, this must be another place to use a sensor switch-I use only one. Chip Birks LED set up makes the lights react a bit faster, plus very bright. Harmless either way suppose, but I think the front system would be faster and if you have calipers, no leaky wheel cylinders
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder - Use both brake sensors? Reply with quote

When I did my dual circuit conversion, I used the hydraulic switch but also installed an electronic switch at the pedal. Fail Safe brake lights all the way, lights guaranteed.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder - Use both brake sensors? Reply with quote

if you only use one, use the one closest to the bolt flange part. your brake lights will turn on right as you tap on the brake pedal. If you only use the further one, you have some significant lag time before the brake lights turn on.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: