Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

I am on the verge of ordering a wire harness for new Berrien Nostalgia build.

I see some people recommend the Rebel bug harness or deluxe bug harness over the buggy harness.

Any reason why, other than more circuits? I'm stuck... not wanting to spend more money than necessary, but not wanting to make a bad decision on this either!
Pajero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

I'd buy the Rebel harness sold by Meyers Manx. It's the 12 circuit bug harness with a flat towing wire breakout already included.
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

Pajero wrote:
I'd buy the Rebel harness sold by Meyers Manx. It's the 12 circuit bug harness with a flat towing wire breakout already included.

Where do I find that one? The Meyers Manx website is kind of a mess to be honest.

The other option I have considered is having Dune Buggy Bros make a harness for me. That's kind of appealing, mainly because I have VERY little VW-based components on my dashboard!
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

Just about anything will work. You really want only the number of circuits you need. I think I usually ran 8 (its been a while) but you don't need anything complicated.

A basic wiring harness for a basic dune buggy is super simple.

Whatever you choose just make sure you have a good grounding system. And remember....it is more exposed to the environment than most normal vehicles.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

aircooledmark wrote:
Pajero wrote:

Where do I find that one? The Meyers Manx website is kind of a mess to be honest.

The other option I have considered is having Dune Buggy Bros make a harness for me. That's kind of appealing, mainly because I have VERY little VW-based components on my dashboard!

Problem with those is everything is taped and you have to lay out your "stuff" to fit harness, where a loose (generic) harness allows more freedom as to where you locate fuse blocks and switches and accessories and light fixtures....

No matter what harness you get you will have to add custom wiring and nudge locations of stuff to suit you build...

First thing is to decide what you need... How may light circuits (head lights (Hi/lo) tail lights, parking lamps), turn signal circuits , engine control circuits, accessories.... Then get harness the most closely matches you needs and expect to do modifications....

Also consider a harness that has each wire labeled as to what function it is, it make wiring so much easier.... I did free form from bulk spools and had to label a lot of wires to keep track of where they went and what they connected to... As work progresses tags got removed and any errors had to be traced by wire colors and if you have multiple wires of same colors its takes time....

And the quality if you crimp tool is everything .... Suggest good pair of ratchet crimpers....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Just about anything will work. You really want only the number of circuits you need. I think I usually ran 8 (its been a while) but you don't need anything complicated.

A basic wiring harness for a basic dune buggy is super simple.

Whatever you choose just make sure you have a good grounding system. And remember....it is more exposed to the environment than most normal vehicles.

I will be getting to this point in my build some time next year, so I'm reading up on it now.

I've been an electrician for all of my adult life and I hope to retire soon. Spare wires are like gifts from the Gods! Go with more, because, what does it add to the wiring price right now, $20? $30? What would you pay to already have the spare wires/circuits if your wife sorry California, partner, wanted heated seats? Another set of speakers? Big screen TV with video game player, or some other such accommodation?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

Problem with those is everything is taped and you have to lay out your "stuff" to fit harness, where a loose (generic) harness allows more freedom as to where you locate fuse blocks and switches and accessories and light fixtures....

No matter what harness you get you will have to add custom wiring and nudge locations of stuff to suit you build...

Thank you for the input on that... I get what you're saying! I just gotta get past the intimidating part (you know, getting started!).

I am leaning towards the Rebel harness, it kind of seems to be more suitable for what I am trying to accomplish.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

Quote:
What would you pay to already have the spare wires/circuits if your wife sorry California, partner, wanted heated seats? Another set of speakers? Big screen TV with video game player, or some other such accommodation?

Then I guess you would be far beyond the "basic dune buggy" I referenced Very Happy

So yes...if you plan on future installing speakers there is no room for, or a "big screen TV" that there is no room for then run dozens of extra wires.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

The idea of running a few extra wire from the front to back is not a bad idea, I ran a 1 inch soft conduit (plastic) from front to back glassed in under body lip and pulled the necessary wire for lighting and engine electricals into conduit, knowing from experience the problem associates with adding wires to a conduit the is already populated with wire I ran in 3 (of maybe it was 4) extra wires with the thought if I ever go EFI or some exotic ignition there would be a possible the extra wiring I might need.....

20 years later, they are still there bunched up and tape together and still not needed....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Pajero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

aircooledmark wrote:
Pajero wrote:

You'd have to call them to get one right now, but it would be worth it. It has a lot of extra length and all the basic parts you'd need. It sure saved me a lot of time and money for the wife's buggy, as opposed to doing my own for the Manxter.

If MM didn't have it, I'd bet you could get it directly from Rebel.
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

Pajero wrote:

You'd have to call them to get one right now, but it would be worth it. It has a lot of extra length and all the basic parts you'd need. It sure saved me a lot of time and money for the wife's buggy, as opposed to doing my own for the Manxter.

If MM didn't have it, I'd bet you could get it directly from Rebel.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:
What would you pay to already have the spare wires/circuits if your wife sorry California, partner, wanted heated seats? Another set of speakers? Big screen TV with video game player, or some other such accommodation?

Then I guess you would be far beyond the "basic dune buggy" I referenced Very Happy

So yes...if you plan on future installing speakers there is no room for, or a "big screen TV" that there is no room for then run dozens of extra wires.

Sorry brother. I didn't intend to get your knickers in a wad at all.

I just look at wires as I would any other commodity. I would rather have more and not need it than less and need it. I think the same way about cash, groceries, motorcycles etc. etc.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

When I built my Manx I just ran a cord in the factory tube from front to rear.

If someone needed to add the big screen into it later they could easily just use the cord to pull some wires through.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
When I built my Manx I just ran a cord in the factory tube from front to rear.

If someone needed to add the big screen into it later they could easily just use the cord to pull some wires through.

I'll ditto the inclusion of a few extra runs of wire AND the pull cord in the wiring tube...

bnc
Davz912/911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

I just put mine together, I used the Rebel deluxe bug harness. Excellent quality, and super easy to run. It’s real nice they mark the wire every so many inches.
Came with a dedicated tach and oil temp wire... also a 12v feed for a dedicated usb connection.
I recommend it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

Well, I decided to shoot for the middle of the road and ordered the Rebel Bug harness. It seems to fit my needs the best. I'll update after install!
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

Make sure you pick up some black ground wire. You will need a bunch depending on how you decide to run your grounds.
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

Arrived yesterday... Rebel Bug Harness. Very nice quality. One thing to note!

Their web site says it comes wired with a 3-terminal flasher. That's not true - it's a 2-terminal flasher. I'll be returning the 3-terminal LED flasher I ordered.

Other than that... It looks like it will do the job for me. I have a bunch of ground wire on order as well as a couple terminal busses.

I probably won't actually start wiring for another week or two - I still gotta paint the frame!
JMCFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

aircooledmark wrote:

Arrived yesterday... Rebel Bug Harness. Very nice quality. One thing to note!

Their web site says it comes wired with a 3-terminal flasher. That's not true - it's a 2-terminal flasher. I'll be returning the 3-terminal LED flasher I ordered.

Other than that... It looks like it will do the job for me. I have a bunch of ground wire on order as well as a couple terminal busses.

I probably won't actually start wiring for another week or two - I still gotta paint the frame!

Which one did you order? I ordered the basic harness from Appletree...had not seen these...look much nicer...dang it...
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel buggy harness vs bug harness vs deluxe bug harness Reply with quote

This is the Rebel Wire Bug harness. Yea, it’s a very nice harness for sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: