Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front beam damage
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuccuzze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Front beam damage Reply with quote

So I'm replacing my ball joints. Got the front drivers side lushed into the torsion arms and moved to the passenger front side. Cleaning the front beam noticed deep pits and my screw driver went right through it.😭 ground it down and got all the rust flakes out. The axel is sturdy just the cover is worn through. I can weld some sheet metal over it and cover it. Or but a new front beam. I've seen other threads here where the center pin was bad. So you think I can weld a patch on this cover?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam damage Reply with quote

Ill defer to someone who has dealt with this before, but if it were me I would swap it out.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam damage Reply with quote

Patch it. Some 16 gauge sheet metal will work nicely.

The bottom isn’t critical.

What matters is the meat between the two tubes. If this is also thin and breaking through, you can get pre-stamped repair pieces to weld between the tubes that match the profile of the shock tower. The two half’s just weld together… one on the inside and one on the outside.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam damage Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
you can get pre-stamped repair pieces to weld between the tubes that match the profile of the shock tower. The two half’s just weld together… one on the inside and one on the outside.

Are these available for a bus beam?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam damage Reply with quote

Error on the side of an abundance of caution - the lives of the people riding in that vehicle are at stake. I had a rust related failure on my first (east coast, work-horse) Bus that made me realize....if it didn't occur in a parking garage, I'd probably be dead.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam damage Reply with quote

You need a new axle.
Don’t drive that, it’s much worse than it looks
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam damage Reply with quote

look for a good beam. There are sold new in I think the UK but the shipping would be a killer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: