Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Taller transaxle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
monpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Taller transaxle Reply with quote

Hello, my ‘86 Vanagon has a GoWesty 2450 engine, 15” rims and I need a new transaxle. Does anyone have any experience with a taller or freeway flier transmission with this engine? I’m worried that I’ll loose too much power going up hill.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Taller transaxle Reply with quote

Greetings. Nice first post. You waited four years!

Are you talking about an automatic transmission or manual transmission?

Also:

loose (v): to let something loose
lose (v): to fail to win, or to misplace

Both verbs work, but I think you meant the latter.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Taller transaxle Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Greetings. Nice first post. You waited four years!

Are you talking about an automatic transmission or manual transmission?

Also:

loose (v): to let something loose
lose (v): to fail to win, or to misplace

Both verbs work, but I think you meant the latter.

kourt

Los…. to fire a torpedo in a German Submarine movie
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Taller transaxle Reply with quote

Thanks, kourt. Another fellow English grammar Nazi. Loose of adverbs drives me crazy.

All the feedback I've heard is don't do it. FAS used to recommend a taller 4th gear, but no longer do. In fact a number who have tried it have gone back to the OG 4th. The general consensus seems to be to just add tires with a larger circumference and the effect will happen in all gears. But don't go too much. Inadvertantly, when I went to 16" trims, my 205s have a 4% increase. I wouldn't go over 7%. But others here will know far better than I do. Matching engine RPMs and torque to your highway speeds is the important issue. Not gas mileage. No tranny mod to give better gas mileage will ever have a payback unless you plan to drive the car a million miles. Even then. a VanEgon would be tough to amortize.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've always lusted after a 5 speed which is probably a better solution. Or maybe just stick in a Porsche complete with a 6 speed.

Duncan
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Taller transaxle Reply with quote

I have been running an '87 westy with a subaru 2.5 for over 15 years. I had a transmission built many years ago with a taller third and fourth gear. Stock tire diameter. Hated it. It was great on the flats and mild hills but when I was up in the mountains I'd have to slow down for a curve and would drop out of the power band in fourth and then be stuck in third. No bueno for me. And as mentioned it is not possible to change back without a lot of time and money to regear.

I went back to stock gearing with the next transmission and was very happy with it. Yes, I was going 4000rpm on the highway but the engines are fine with that.

I now am on 215/75/15 BFG KO2s (about 7% over stock tire diameter) on the westy with stock gearing and it works for me since I need the off road capability and love the BFG KO2s. 70mph (GPS verified) is about 3700rpm and while I do lose power the tradeoff works for me. I recently climbed up I70 out of Denver to the Eisenhower tunnel at 11,000 feet and was in forth at 65 most of the way. A couple of times I had to downship to third and went up at 55mph with power to spare.

It is way cheaper to play with drive ratios by swapping out tires until you get what you want. You can always sell off the lightly used tires to recoup 50% of their initial cost. My advice is to play with tires, not transmission gearing.

YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Taller transaxle Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
SNIP

I now am on 215/75/15 BFG KO2s (about 7% over stock tire diameter) on the westy with stock gearing and it works for me since I need the off road capability and love the BFG KO2s. 70mph (GPS verified) is about 3700rpm

SNIP

I had the exact same result on this identical set up on my 87 High top
Agree on both points.

9 1/2

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Taller transaxle Reply with quote

I went Taller 4th, stock 3rd w 16's
Mountains do present a problem for 4th
I have no problem doing 45ish in the right lane in 3rd letting the Amish buckboard pass me by
Rear discs
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Taller transaxle Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

It is way cheaper to play with drive ratios by swapping out tires until you get what you want.

and its even cheaper to do so with a nice plotting tool like this:

https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-gear.aspx

Smile

if you have the dyno for your engine, or something roughly resembling the curve, you can play with the options there to see where the taller gearing might put you on the curve when you move into the next gear. so you know what rpm to avoid.

sample from some gearing ideas i was playing with on my tdi but you get the idea

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
monpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Taller transaxle Reply with quote

Awesome advice from everyone! Sorry about the earlier grammar. Hearing the voices of reason I’ll stick to the regular, non freeway flier transaxle and play with the tires. Thanks
monpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Taller transaxle Reply with quote

Forgot to answer- manual transmission.

Thanks again,

‘86 Westy ( Der Flea )
‘01 Eurovan GL
‘17 GTI
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Taller transaxle Reply with quote

you have to figure out your torque curve to make sense of it all.

apples and oranges here...but...

when i did my subaru swap in my bay window i used a 091 from the get go because the 002 had miserable gearing.

with the 091 i would be on the highway and literally clutch it to shift into the non existent 5th.

the solution was a built box with a different r+p plus a taller 3rd and 4th.

i am happy with it.

thing is, you need to "re train" yourself in driving it. i'm in 3rd mostly around town, no problems. i can run 3rd up to about 85 if i have to.

biggest issue is people tend to "over shift" or upshift too early. if you get the numbers right...all of them...tire size, r+p etc and be mindful of the gear spread it is possible to pull it off.

it's all in the combo.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: