Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 bay Window ALH conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

So about a year ago, the type 4 motor on my '73 bus started making a horrible grinding noise while driving to work, and then shut down very shortly thereafter...I barely had to time to get pulled over.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The starter wouldn't even turn it over. Post mortem, I had a spun bearing and that was that for this motor. having previously read everything I could about the ALH conversion....I took the plunge. I found a motor with 130k miles on craigslist...they sellers son got rear ended, and that was the end of the '99 Beetle it came from. I acquired one dirty ass ALH engine that had been sitting in shed since he pulled it after the accident, along with other stuff.

I cleaned the ALH up, replaced the rear main seal, timing belt, water pump, and other odds and ends. I got it mated up to the 002 transaxle I sent out to Benco...regeared. 3rd at 1.18, 4th at 0.70 and a 4.13 R&P. I used the KE adaptor plate, clutch kit, and high torque starter.
I also pieced together a custom coolant flange for the back of the cylinder head.

Last edited by arminyack on Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

More stuff...
I used a 9" Speedway heater up front...the under splash guard barely fits back in

Radiator...its a Rabbit Aluminum radiator. We'll shall see how things go with it in this spot. If need be, I'll relocate under the bus.

Engine in...I used hydraulic mounts for a Cummin 4BT4 in the back, and the stock transaxle nose mount up front. I did away with the bellhousing mount..I read it transmits too much vibration into the body.

Intake setup. I have the vacuum system set inside the driver side rear quarter area, with the intake air filter right above. i am using a water to air intercooler that I dont have any pictures of yet.

Electronics. I had FastForward do my harness....honestly the way to go. I located everything under the rear seat.

arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

Next up...get this coolant reservoir in, and it all plumbed up. I also went maximum overkill on the fuel filter mounting.

arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

Intercooler location..

I put the vacuum valves up here

Here is the vacuum pump w/ reservoir.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

How are you handling CA smog? You might want to look into it in advance so there are no sensors or switches missed that you need. Someone in the Vanagon forum had a thread on it, and it wasn't too bad although his engine was from an automatic and the loss of certain sensors was a small challenge for him with BAR but they worked it out.
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

Where did ya get the ke adapter?
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

blacka1vw wrote:
Where did ya get the ke adapter?

direct from KE
arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
How are you handling CA smog? You might want to look into it in advance so there are no sensors or switches missed that you need. Someone in the Vanagon forum had a thread on it, and it wasn't too bad although his engine was from an automatic and the loss of certain sensors was a small challenge for him with BAR but they worked it out.

I kept all the smog stuff intact..barring the cat. However, since this a smog exempt car anyway, I doubt it will be an issue. I know engine swaps are a different story, but in all of my years in the BMW 2002 world, and people I know who have done swaps in those...i have never heard of anyone getting busted in Ca., and forced to do the smog.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

Im sure this will be a nice conversion for you, but damn you got a lot of stuff going on in that engine compartment.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

Two concerns that I have, you need to put some sort of grommet on the fuel line where it passes through the frame to keep it from chafing through (sorry, vacuum line.), and you need to install some sort of shield over your air filter to keep water from the air intake vent from pouring into the intake, diesels can’t compress water.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Two concerns that I have, you need to put some sort of grommet on the fuel line where it passes through the frame to keep it from chafing through (sorry, vacuum line.), and you need to install some sort of shield over your air filter to keep water from the air intake vent from pouring into the intake, diesels can’t compress water.

Ya, I have a grommet to go in there, I just haven't done it yet.

Good point on shielding the air filter, a decent sized rain storm could get a decent amount of water in there
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

arminyack wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I kept all the smog stuff intact..barring the cat. However, since this a smog exempt car anyway, I doubt it will be an issue. I know engine swaps are a different story, but in all of my years in the BMW 2002 world, and people I know who have done swaps in those...i have never heard of anyone getting busted in Ca., and forced to do the smog.
keep us informed for others. We had a co-worker who got pulled over for some small infraction on a foreign import. The CHP saw some modifications he wasn't sure about so he wrote a fix it ticket requiring an inspection. The co-worker argued with the CHP and ended up in jail overnight for it.
arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
arminyack wrote:
SGKent wrote:

keep us informed for others. We had a co-worker who got pulled over for some small infraction on a foreign import. The CHP saw some modifications he wasn't sure about so he wrote a fix it ticket requiring an inspection. The co-worker argued with the CHP and ended up in jail overnight for it.

Yeah Ca. is pretty scarey with smog laws. cars being labeled as gross polluters, and winding up in the crushers, etc. I may just throw the cat in thee, and be done with it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

Looks like a good start!

I like how you mounted the intercooler. I've never been quite happy with my setup but couldn't decide how to mount it better. I may have to emulate it, assuming I get mine back on the road. Curious how you'll cool the water for the intercooler?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

I found this thread that might help if you have to go thru it. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732361&highlight=smog+referee
arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Looks like a good start!

I like how you mounted the intercooler. I've never been quite happy with my setup but couldn't decide how to mount it better. I may have to emulate it, assuming I get mine back on the road. Curious how you'll cool the water for the intercooler?

I'm still plumbing it all up. but this is how

arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
you need to install some sort of shield over your air filter to keep water from the air intake vent from pouring into the intake, diesels can’t compress water.

Actually, there is sheetmetal right above the filter...I took a pic of the other side, since the battery rusted out the floor there, so I cut most of it away, and it acts as air intake for the radiator, but the other side is the same.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

Then… you need to put some sort of shield to keep road spray & grime from the tire from slinging into that area.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Then… you need to put some sort of shield to keep road spray & grime from the tire from slinging into that area.

Nope...the intake is on the other side...which is not rusted out on the bottom, but has the very same sheetmetal above as the side i showed
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bay Window ALH conversion Reply with quote

make sure mud and debris can't coat the fins on the exit side. There won't be enough velocity of air thru the fins to keep away mud and tire spray slung at it. You'll need some kind of shield - I couldn't tell from the photo if you had one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: