Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OBD1 2.2 to OBD2 2.5 Subaru swap - anyone done it?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: OBD1 2.2 to OBD2 2.5 Subaru swap - anyone done it? Reply with quote

So, in my quest for ever more mid-range torque, I’ve come to a couple of conclusions regarding my early ej22.

1- I can cobble together a turbo kit for this with stuff I have sitting around. It’ll sound cool, probably be pretty torquey, but reliability will become an issue. Not ideal.

2- I can frankenmotor this thing. Not a perfect solution either, as it’s still a shade tree hacky sort of solution, and it seems like the power is higher up in the revs for these too. I need torque in the middle!

3- I can swap in a later, more powerful dual port engine and harness, reusing all of the hardware currently on this thing.

3 seems like the best solution, but for the fact that I bought this with the swap, and all of the guides for wiring are for adapting a stock harness to a subaru, not for updating the Subaru setup.

Has anyone done this? Can you provide me some guidance, and prevent me from turbocharging my current setup?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: OBD1 2.2 to OBD2 2.5 Subaru swap - anyone done it? Reply with quote

the only thing you may have to change other then the harness is the exhaust (single port vs dual)

i'd go 2.5 with a set of cams. would be the most bang for the buck

i built my 70 deluxe with a frankenmotor and cams. pulls like a ox on meth. but, it was a pain to build. heads CC'd to drop compression, custom head gaskets etc and it's running the 2.2 management which is fine, except for the million dollar coolant fed IAC valve.

i think you'd be money ahead with the 2.5 and some cams.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: OBD1 2.2 to OBD2 2.5 Subaru swap - anyone done it? Reply with quote

@skills, what cams are you running in your 2.5's?

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: