Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

I replaced the fuel pump because the original pump made a "no idea how much longer it will hold out" noise (loud whine).

I put in a Bosch replacement and... No start. The pumps runs for maybe 5 seconds and stops. I assume it pressurized the fuel line. I expected a few tries to get to stumbling leading to a try that runs. No such luck.

The original pump showed no signs of polarity, just two spade lugs, no markings. The Bosch PP has two different diameter threaded posts, no markings. I took a guess and put the brown return wire on the small post, the feed wire on the big post. The size of inlet and outlet barbs let the pump go only one way.

It all looks right, but doesn't run right.

We're in an RV park in Welcome, NV (near Wells, NV, if that helps) with no ideas about what to do next. :(
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

Did you try reversing the polarity?

How about cleaning out the old fuel pump, and putting it back in?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

I've run out of daylight and lighting. Swapping wires is easy enough in the AM.

Unfortunately, the terminals on the two pumps isn't the same. No jumpers, and short on terminals.

Keep in mind we're pretty much in high desert, where resources are very limited. Betting on a probably failing pump is a very bad idea.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

Good news / bad news

I have a ScanGauge (from GW), and it shows the fuel pressure. According to the ScanGauge, the system's pressurized to 70 psi. Or, the pump's working. Too bad the motor isn't.

About the only loose end is where is the pressure being read? This is the GW EFI, BTW.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
I took a guess and put the brown return wire on the small post, the feed wire on the big post.

That's backwards. Switch the wires in the morning.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.vanagon.org/fuel-pump-replacement
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

Yes, the Bosch pump has a large stud and a small stud fir + and - connections.
Sadly I don't recall which is which but I can look come daylight.

The pump is marked with very small + & - molded into the plastic, easy to miss seeing them.
They are so small I do this before installation......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can pull a hose and cycle the key ti check for fuel volume actually being pumped.

If you have fuel being pumped the next check is for spark at the spark plugs.

Sorry but I know nothing about GoWesty's EFI.

If you verify spark, pull an injector rail and look fir fuel spray while cranking.

I had a new German Bosch pump run from Jersey to just West of Craters of the Moon and died.
Talk about irritating.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

Good find Kam!

Large stud is Ground.

Counter intuitive for the large battery terminal is positive! ..... Go Figure.....

If you are patient you can uncrimp those terminals and reuse.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

Irony of ironies! We left Craters this morning, picked up the pump in Twin Falls, and then the fun began.

I'll swap the leads tomorrow. Dropping the pump is, at this point, rather challenging. If, as the ScanGauge says, the discharge side is up to 70 psi, I don't have a safe way vent it off. Short of spraying gas everywhere.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

I can swap the wires without messing with the crimped terminals. Zero chance of salvaging them but I think I can make the small lug fit.

Sure wish these things were marked clearly. Grrr...
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

ARGHHH! Looking at the old pump, I found the markings. Talk about obscure... Grrr...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

Your old pump was pumping?

Keep it as a spare.
On my 90 I hooked up a hose, hot wired it and pumped ATF. This will prevent rust and fuel deposits gumming up the inside.
Shut it down, drained it well, wrapped it securely and into the breakdown kit it went!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

It was indeed pumping. And whining like a hydraulic pump on steroids.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

No clue if your old pump will run backwards if you reverse its polarity. If so you could maybe blow it out by hooking it up backwards and giving it a source of fuel to suck from.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

You can crack a 70 psi fuel line anywhere to relieve pressure. It won’t blow more than about 5-10 mL under pressure, catch thst with a rag or paper towel.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

if you were doing a deadhead pump test, it can show 70 psi (really should be higher deadhead) but have very low volume, and this may indeed be the case if the pump is wired backwards.

if this was attached to the test port Tee in the engine bay, something is wrong... too high.

let us know! if it was wired backwards, good to have that data point fuel pressure and experience.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

Being wired backwards I doubt that 70 psi scan gauge read is accurate.

My old pump could build 30 psi of air pressure......

I think the rewire will put him on the road quickly!

IMHO ..... better to have a noisy known working pump under the bench than no pump at all when your new Bosch dies ......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

I'll keep the old pump, of course. The notion of doing pump surgery on the side of US 93 lacks a degree of appeal.

Anyway, breakfast, and then back to work.

(We're on PDT, FWIW)
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
Good news / bad news

I have a ScanGauge (from GW), and it shows the fuel pressure. According to the ScanGauge, the system's pressurized to 70 psi. Or, the pump's working. Too bad the motor isn't.

About the only loose end is where is the pressure being read? This is the GW EFI, BTW.

As far as I know there is no fuel pressure sensor, so the ScanGauge can't display fuel pressure. Did you install a fuel pressure sensor with the GW EFI? I didn't install a fuel pressure sensor in mine and do not know of any reference to this possibility, nor any wires to attach to a fuel pressure sensor.
Fuel pressure sensor is not in the GW parts list, nor in their wiring diagram.

Also, fuel pressure shouldn't be anywhere near 70psi. More like high 30s psi.

I don't know how, but I'm questioning the idea that your ScanGauge is displaying fuel pressure. You apparently have "70 something", but I can't guess what.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

Problem resolved. The Bosch pump works as expected, and doesn't sing.

The final problem was reversed wiring. Needing a magnifying glass to read the markings? FEH!

Great thanks, folk!
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
I don't know how, but I'm questioning the idea that your ScanGauge is displaying fuel pressure. You apparently have "70 something", but I can't guess what.

its likely just the numerical value for "not available" or whatever the max possible value is for that signal

glad that was an easy fix!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: