Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

I did search so please don't blast me. There are pages and pages about this simple part - the CV boot!

I rebuilt my Syncro's rear axles and used recommended Rockford boots. I did not clamp as per GoWesty's advice.

Fewer than 5000 miles and three out of four are radially split. This is highway miles mostly and some gravel roads but no horsing around. Gunther is not lifted and rides at pretty much stock ride height.

Is there any agreement these days about a solution to this problem so many seem to have out there. I've done this job before on old buses and two other Vanagons with excellent results. I mean, like 100,000 mile lives -- or close to, anyway.

Thanks for any and all help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

Chris at T-3 Techniques sells high quality products:

https://t3technique.com/drivetrain-parts/cv-joints,-boots,-etc/rockford-cv-boot.html
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

He sells the same parts I used! I went there to check to see if he had a better alternative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

EDIT: Experience has shown that the Tiguan boots are not performing well on the Syncro or lifted 2WD units.

It seems like any brand boot suffers early failure by and large......

However, VW to the rescue!
VW Tiquan boots.

I've put these on my 90, genuine VW boots on one axle and Lobro Tiquan boots on the other.

I'm pushing 9,500 miles and both brands are showing zero signs of distress.

From my experience installing them, I like the VW boot fit better.

I honestly see these as the only viable option available to us today.

A link........

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=745007

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I saw these referenced in my searching around TheSamba but you actually have some miles on them now.

If nobody else chimes in with a foolproof solution, I already have these in my shopping cart at vwdirectautoparts.com. Am getting the real VW ones per you note on liking them better...

Not cheap but I would pay even more if I thought they would last. This is ridiculous -- having to re-do the boots with less than 5K miles on 'em.

,Bob
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

gertiebob wrote:
having to re-do the boots with less than 5K miles on 'em.

,Bob

That is the way it has been for at least the last 35 years. The brand you buy one time that does you well for a decade or more will die in a few weeks the next time you buy them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

I got mine at FCP Euro....... even if they do fail, they are a lifetime warranty.

I hope to never use it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

I've been really happy with the 944 ones from Lindsay Racing, they have been in since 2018 so probably have 25k miles? On the rear they came pre-installed on the new halfshafts I bought, I just put them on the front inners to see how they work up there too. They are pretty different than the GKN ones I've put on in the past, much thicker and they have a ball on the shaft end, presumably as a stress relief?

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Porsche/LR-944-MS-BK.html

Paul
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

Thanks Paul.

Now I need to decide between two seemingly good options. These look tougher than the VW ones but looks can be deceiving. Your thoughts on clamp/no clamp at the small axle end?

At least I now know of one really bad option - the highly-recommended Rockfords - that failed on me in less than 5000 miles.

-----

--VW Tiquan boots
or
--these 944 boots
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

I have the Tiguan boots on a lifted 19.5" Syncro. ( axle angle same as lifted 18.5" on a 2WD)
It's been maybe 3,000 miles and no problems.
They are smaller and narrower, and due to the lift angle, the axle is mashing the inner fold of the pleats pretty hard against the collar.
I'm gonna stop short of predicting they will last 150,000 like the OG boots did. Wink

I have some Rockfords that are pushing 30,000 miles and still OK.
I'm gonna stop short of predicting they will last 150,000 like the OG boots did. Wink

Regarding "no clamp", I serviced my CVs ,new waterproof grease and all,
did the no-clamp per SAMBA custom at the time.
Then drove thru ONE torrential rainstorm.
Then parked the van for a few months.
Next time I drove it the (wheel-side) CVs were clicking and full of rusty water. (new waterproof grease though!)
----> Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

On the Lindsey boots there isn't a place for a clamp, so I don't think they are necessary. I think that's part of the design of the thick ball on the end of the boot. The ones I got from them mounted on the axles actually have vents to keep them from pressurizing when they get hot. On other boots I think the clamps probably help or are necessary based on whats been published elsewhere here. I was always afraid to install the clamps because I didn't have the right tool, fortunately I bought a Oetiker clamp tool a year or two ago that worked great to clamp CV clamps.

We don't have a lot of data on either the Lindsey or Tiguan boots have much data, they are probably equally good options at this point. Let us know what you put on and make sure to followup later with some milages!

Paul
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

I bought eBay axles, $120 per pair. One front had a catastrophic failure at 5 miles which might have happened because my upper control arm was flipped upside down. Replaced with another set of eBay axles (hey have a spare now!) No problems now with 10k miles. Boots are in great shape.

They've bumped the price to $150!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254606309772?fits=Submode...SwRsJeqqLO
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

Finishing up my input on rear CV boots on a Syncro.

I think GoWesty is giving very bad advice in saying to leave off the small clamps. Got advice from others otherwise. Emphatically.

I now have had fully clamped Rockford boots on for awhile and they are holding up fine. So for my recommendation from what is available from our usual Vanagon suppliers, I'd suggest Rockford boots fully clamped as designed.

You do NOT want to clean, repack and reboot axles for fun . . .
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

I just installed new axles in my 2WD. The newest boot on the original shafts (left inner & either Lobro or Rockford, can't recall which) was split near the end (no clamp) and had hairline cracks up at the CV end. All the rest were in good shape (other than spitting grease out at the CVs). That boot is closest to an exhaust pipe. So, I wrapped the exhaust pipe before putting the new left axle in.

A tip I saw on YouTube for long-lasting boots (and rubber suspension components) is to saturate them with 303 a couple times a year; multiple replies also swore by it. So, I did that as well... we'll see in a few years if the tip has merit for a Vanagon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

Noob question for CV's... I see a LOT of our "go to" parts places stating "inner and outter" and most of them state "front". No where I can find where they state "rear". T3 just has a generic CV for sale:

https://t3technique.com/products/944-gkn-lobro-cv-joint-kit?_pos=6&_sid=eb8543d31&_ss=r

Any guidance would be appreciated! I've got thumping going on and want to order up the proper parts!
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
Noob question for CV's... I see a LOT of our "go to" parts places stating "inner and outter" and most of them state "front". No where I can find where they state "rear". T3 just has a generic CV for sale:

https://t3technique.com/products/944-gkn-lobro-cv-joint-kit?_pos=6&_sid=eb8543d31&_ss=r

Any guidance would be appreciated! I've got thumping going on and want to order up the proper parts!

The rear inner and outer along with the inner fronts are all the same. These are shared with the standard 2wd Vanagon.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

...and they all suck. I noticed yesterday that one of my rear-inner, 3 year-old GKN/Lobros is starting to crack.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
...and they all suck. I noticed yesterday that one of my rear-inner, 3 year-old GKN/Lobros is starting to crack.

I was looking to get these: https://t3technique.com/products/944-gkn-lobro-cv-joint-kit?_pos=6&_sid=eb8543d31&_ss=r

Good, bad or indifferent?
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
joetiger wrote:

I was looking to get these: https://t3technique.com/products/944-gkn-lobro-cv-joint-kit?_pos=6&_sid=eb8543d31&_ss=r

I think he is talking about the boot. The Lobro CV joint is nice. I bought Rockford boots and kept the GKN/lobro boots on hand for backup. I am running one GKN boot right now as one of my Rockfords ripped.

Just keep an eye on the boots whatever you go with.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest advice for CV boots on Syncro Rear Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
chrismsnt wrote:
joetiger wrote:

I think he is talking about the boot. The Lobro CV joint is nice. I bought Rockford boots and kept the GKN/lobro boots on hand for backup. I am running one GKN boot right now as one of my Rockfords ripped.

Just keep an eye on the boots whatever you go with.

Yep, I should have been more clear. I was talking about the boots. The joints themselves are fine.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: