Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Let me just add that I did do a Injector spray and leak test.

Do you have another set of injectors to try? I would try another set if you can. Also, isn't that a Euro spec van? Not sure of engine differences, but you may want to double check to see if the injectors on a Euro model are different than a US spec van.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

Have you checked your fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator?

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Let me just add that I did do a Injector spray and leak test.

Do you have another set of injectors to try? I would try another set if you can. Also, isn't that a Euro spec van? Not sure of engine differences, but you may want to double check to see if the injectors on a Euro model are different than a US spec van.

No, these injectors are good. They have good spray pattern and do not leak after shutdown.
There is no real difference in a European MV and the USA MV engine or at least no real mechanical spec difference. I'm pretty sure the injectors are the same.
However, mine are Marco's Injectors and less then 18 months old.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

RGS Paul wrote:
Have you checked your fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator?

Paul

Yes, they were both good

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

I would offer a comment..

Having spent lots of time watching O2 voltage and AFR readings, while the O2 voltage is swinging consistently.. that swing actually results in very stable AFR readings. The effectiveness is the swing. By quickly adjusting injector pulse width you end up with stable AFR. I forget who originally posted about the dash mounted 0-1v meter but it's really fun to watch it bounce happily from left to right and back again. I can't wait to see the emulator readout..
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

The RPM surging I am experiencing as seen on the WBX Emulator.

Link

Compared to the video DigiMatrix has of his running at idle mine is fluctuating like crazy.
I did not have time to get into the wiring connected to the Stabilizer module today like I wanted.
I'm starting to think if I am a "Chicken or egg" question. Today I did a 100 mile drive and filled the tank at the start, halfway and at the end.

At Thanksgiving I did 100 mile one way drive at average 70mph and got 11 mpg.

Today I drove sedately between 60-68mph averaging 63mph and the first 50 mi. the fill-up amount said it was giving 19mpg.
The return 50 miles fill-up said I was getting 25 mpg. It was also rush hour so there was at least 20 miles of slowing, stopping & starting again so it definitly was a steady consistent rpm for a mpg test.
Not sure if the short 50 miles run was a good base for a test. I've only done testing on full to empty tank fills before this

I find it hard to believe that the 8-10 mph difference gave me the great mileage.

Last edited by Steve M. on Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

What controls the advance on the WBX? Is that software or mechanical?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

Vana Guy wrote:
What controls the advance on the WBX? Is that software or mechanical?

You set the timing manually per the timing specs, but after you set it the ECU advances the timing per the parameters and feedback it receives from the sensors.

DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

Steve, I watched your video and I'm wondering why you have no long term correction happening (integral gain). I also have the Marco injectors and the integral gain has to adjust for the extra fueling from the injectors. My proportional value immediately swings negative when the system goes closed loop. If the proportional gain is always negative, the long term correction goes negative to subtract fuel so the proportional gain can move towards a positive number and swing between a +'ve and -'ve number which is what it is programmed to do.

Does your exhaust pipe color look good? Plugs? I think I would disconnect the ECU and check the resistance of the wiring between the O2 signal terminal at the ECU and the connector at the O2 sensor. The O2 signal is very sensitive to voltage drop because the O2 sensor voltage is so low (between 0.1 and 0.9 volts). Any other added resistance in the wiring causes the O2 sensor signal to be seen by the ECU as "offset", so it controls around the offset value which causes the AFR to be incorrect. Any added resistance causes the voltage signal to be low (Lean) so the ECU compensates by richening the mixture by adding fuel - AKA poor fuel economy.
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
Steve, I watched your video and I'm wondering why you have no long term correction happening (integral gain). I also have the Marco injectors and the integral gain has to adjust for the extra fueling from the injectors. My proportional value immediately swings negative when the system goes closed loop. If the proportional gain is always negative, the long term correction goes negative to subtract fuel so the proportional gain can move towards a positive number and swing between a +'ve and -'ve number which is what it is programmed to do.

Does your exhaust pipe color look good? Plugs? I think I would disconnect the ECU and check the resistance of the wiring between the O2 signal terminal at the ECU and the connector at the O2 sensor. The O2 signal is very sensitive to voltage drop because the O2 sensor voltage is so low (between 0.1 and 0.9 volts). Any other added resistance in the wiring causes the O2 sensor signal to be seen by the ECU as "offset", so it controls around the offset value which causes the AFR to be incorrect. Any added resistance causes the voltage signal to be low (Lean) so the ECU compensates by richening the mixture by adding fuel - AKA poor fuel economy.

Plugs looked clean last time I pulled them out in the beginning of Oct.
Haven't looked at the exhaust because the plugs were clean.
Interesting you mention resistence in the wiring...
The resistance of the wiring is why I am thinking of rebuilding the wire harness.
The grounds are clean, but you can see what I saw in my last Digicheck on the 25th which wasn't there in the check I did in Sept. Line # 21,24, 26 & 28 shows the resistence has gone up from the zero resistence. Battery voltage on Line #4,5 & 11 is telling me there is a a problem that's been growing over time.

If the .2 and .3 ohms has made this much change I am amazed, but this problem of fuel mileage has been going on since mid summer. I just haven't had too much time to get into it as I was working off a normal schedule.
Now however I have a torn ACL in the knee so I'm going to have some time to get into it! Just as soon as I take some more ibrufen...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

Those resistance don't look too bad. I always check with the meter probes touched together first - I bet they read close to 0.2 ohms anyway.

I would specifically check the resistance of the O2 signal wire between the O2 sensor and the ECU plug. I know the Mansi injectors are larger than stock, but your video indicates they are the same size as stock with your readings which doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe get some Deoxit or similar product and clean the 2 connection points of your O2 sensor and see if anything changes.
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

The O2 sensor wire is also shielded to ECU pin 19, (for my year model, yours may vary). The shielding is very important for low voltage signals. Check the entire length of shielding for continuity too just to be sure. Also check if that wire has been rerouted. Too close too something like ignition wires, coil, distributor, may cause interference.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

Vana Guy wrote:
The O2 sensor wire is also shielded to ECU pin 19, (for my year model, yours may vary). The shielding is very important for low voltage signals. Check the entire length of shielding for continuity too just to be sure. Also check if that wire has been rerouted. Too close too something like ignition wires, coil, distributor, may cause interference.

Good point about the shielding. I do have it routed well away from the higher voltage circuits as much as possible. Seeing what the magnetic forces in a wire can do if routed to close to a magnetic compass I try to avoid it. If running 2 new wires carrying voltage to something delicate I always try to twist the wires around each other ti cancel out the polarity the magnetic fields create. Electricity is nothing but magnetism.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
Those resistance don't look too bad. I always check with the meter probes touched together first - I bet they read close to 0.2 ohms anyway.

I would specifically check the resistance of the O2 signal wire between the O2 sensor and the ECU plug.

Maybe get some Deoxit or similar product and clean the 2 connection points of your O2 sensor and see if anything changes.

I did not think they looked too bad either to be causing the problem, but what do I know!
I'm going to first try replacing the connectors at each terminal since you can clean them externally easy enough, but that black oxide around the individual strands and corrosion in the crimp you cannot clean. Even dipping them in Muriatic Acid doesn't quite do it.

Considering the amount of surface area I try to connect to in the ECU plug I'm surprised I can get close to what I get by touching the probes together. I really try to clean the tarnish off the sides lengths of the probes and make solid contact when I touch them. I do not think it's advisable to be forcing the probe into the center of the terminal on the ECU plug as that just forces them apart and them may loose the tightness they need for a good contact. I slip my probe in under one side of the spring terminal, but the surface contact is then only on the thin edge of the end of the metal so that is why I clean my probes full length.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
I know the Mansi injectors are larger than stock, but your video indicates they are the same size as stock with your readings which doesn't make sense to me.

How in the hell can you see that? Laughing
Your experience and knowledge of your Emulator should be insured against memory loss!

Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

Is the O2 wire the original wire, unmodified, including the O2 connector?
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

A while back after much diagnosis, we eventually checked the generally reliable fuel pressure regulator again and found that it was intermittently failing. Mostly showing proper pressure, but occasionally showing lower than normal. Swapped it out and the engine ran perfectly again. In addition to occasional low fuel pressure, it seemed that fuel was leaking through the diaphragm and into the manifold through the vacuum line.

Good luck!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
A while back after much diagnosis, we eventually checked the generally reliable fuel pressure regulator again and found that it was intermittently failing. Mostly showing proper pressure, but occasionally showing lower than normal. Swapped it out and the engine ran perfectly again. In addition to occasional low fuel pressure, it seemed that fuel was leaking through the diaphragm and into the manifold through the vacuum line.

Good luck!

Jim Davis

That I changed as preventive maintenance since mine looked original and thought it better to put a new one in then to have it fail on the road.
Fuel pressures looked good before I did, but ya know...why take a chance on a dark night!

SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
SyncroHead wrote:

Good luck!

Jim Davis

That I changed as preventive maintenance since mine looked original and thought it better to put a new one in then to have it fail on the road.
Fuel pressures looked good before I did, but ya know...why take a chance on a dark night!

Might check pressure that new one just in case. I've heard new regulators are not very good quality and possibly one might be defective out of the box. Stranger things have happened.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX RPM surging - Diagnosing with the new "WBX Emulator" Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
DigiMatrix wrote:
I know the Mansi injectors are larger than stock, but your video indicates they are the same size as stock with your readings which doesn't make sense to me.

How in the hell can you see that? Laughing

With the stock chip with stock injectors, the Integral gain is close to zero (once closed loop), because the fuel map was made for stock injectors. With larger injectors (Mansi) and the stock chip, the larger injectors flow more fuel at the same point in the fuel map so the engine runs rich. Once closed loop, the Integral gain removes the extra fuel by going negative (long term correction) so the proportional gain cycles between a +'ve and -'ve number.

In your case (Video) your integral gain is still at zero. On mine, also with the larger injectors, my integral gain goes to a value of -80 to get the proportional gain to swing between a +'ve and -'ve number. This tells me my injectors are larger than stock. Not sure why your integral gain is at zero.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: