Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a place for this lug wrench kit?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moxbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

On my local craigslist, there is a nice looking lug wrench storage kit that claims to be for a Vanagon. But I've never seen anything like this in my 87 Westy, nor any obvious place where one of these would go.

Does anyone here know if this is a Vanagon kit, and if so, where it goes?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

Funny, I just saw one of these kits for sale the other day on CL and was wondering the same thing. I reached out to the seller but they had no idea.

No amount of Google research gave me an answer, so I'll follow your thread. Very Happy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

I don’t think Vanagons ever came to the States with Hub Caps, yet there is a Beetle style cap puller tool in there.
I’m saying no to it being a vanagon kit.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

Wow--4 posts and you've stumped us.

Sure looks like the stuff I had for bugs with the hubcap puller. SA? Brazil? Hecho en Mexico? It's the case that I've never seen, not the tools.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

moxbox wrote:
if this is a Vanagon kit, if so, where it goes?

Craigslist ? 🤪
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I don’t think Vanagons ever came to the States with Hub Caps, yet there is a Beetle style cap puller tool in there.

Dave

How about a VW T2 Bus? Pretty sure they had hub caps.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

Vanagons had steel hub caps in 1980-1981
Certain models in 1983, 1990, and 1991.

However, I've never seen a jack assembly like this, including looking at Vanagon on dealer lots 1988-1991. Every Vanagon I've seen has it's jack in a white plastic bag from the factory/dealer placed under the rear seat.

Looks like a much more modern concept to have a fasten-able "caddy" like this for the tools.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?

Last edited by SyncroHead on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

A 1/2" x 18" breaker bar with a 19mm socket makes more sense. Store it with your jumper cables in the box under the rear seat.
moxbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

The kit looks so neat and tidy, and the bolt attachment seems very Westy. But it does seem like the working bits of the kit suggest another vehicle. I've never liked the lug wrench and jack just floating around under the rear seat. A tidier solution would be nice.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

It's VW, most likely a watercooled car like a Jetta.

Honestly the tools that come with the car are crap. Just go to the big box store and buy a 1/2" breaker bar and a impact socket. Wrap it in a hand towel so it doesn't rattle and store it somewhere.

If you're lucky you'll go many years without needing it. And when you do you'll be happy to have a 22" breaker bar than the crappy factory lug wrench to get the hot lug bolts off.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
A 1/2" x 18" breaker bar with a 19mm socket makes more sense. Store it with your jumper cables in the box under the rear seat.

This is EXACTLY how both my vans are equipped. I would not want to rely on one of those short tube-shaped wrenches to get off a properly torqued lug not/bolt. They are very reasonably priced and you'll be glad to have it when you need it.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

Yes, we all agree that the tools shown aren't what we need, but it's also OT. The question is what vehicle and country origin was this kit for. Obviously VW and hubcap oriented, but the nice knob bolt attachment is what is so curious. Looked on line and it's not Jetta or any other American VWs that popped up.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Vanagons had steel hub caps in 1980-1981
Certain models in 1983, 1990, and 1991.

However, I've never seen a jack assembly like this, including looking at Vanagon on dealer lots 1988-1991. Every Vanagon I've seen has it's jack in a white plastic bag from the factory/dealer placed under the rear seat.

L:ooks like a much more modern concept to have a fasten-able "caddy" like this for the tools.

Jim Davis

Looking through old sales literature,I stand corrected.
Thank you
But…..
I still hold to my Not Vanagon vote as being valid.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

Eurovan. It appears to be a T4 tool kit.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/eurovan/eu/2002-230/0/011-11010/

Mark
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Eurovan. It appears to be a T4 tool kit.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/eurovan/eu/2002-230/0/011-11010/

Mark

A most excellent find!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

Congrats on great sleuthing. Award certificate will arrive shortly.
moxbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

I suppose that means I posted in the wrong sub-Forum. Embarassed Very Happy

But that was a fun thread, and kudos to Mark for finding this.

On the Eurovan sub-Forum there are a few discussions of this, one with a photo showing where it lives:

Joshwa wrote:
Here is the jack and tool kit in my weekender.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It's VW, most likely a watercooled car like a Jetta.

Honestly the tools that come with the car are crap. Just go to the big box store and buy a 1/2" breaker bar and a impact socket. Wrap it in a hand towel so it doesn't rattle and store it somewhere.

If you're lucky you'll go many years without needing it. And when you do you'll be happy to have a 22" breaker bar than the crappy factory lug wrench to get the hot lug bolts off.

+1000

Looks identical to my T4 kit by the way

Oops, ghosted mark above
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Thanks. Just got a 24” breaker bar and 19mm impact socket. The tool provided from the factory is good for the bolt on spare tire clamshell only…

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a place for this lug wrench kit? Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Thanks. Just got a 24” breaker bar and 19mm impact socket. The tool provided from the factory is good for the bolt on spare tire clamshell only…

And only barely adequate.........

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: