Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Creativity, schmreativity--Your paint job and nose detail with fog lamps et al make for a really beautiful T3.

I know that The Pilch will get there as well. Fun to watch him with his progress and obvious enjoyment of the process. Lots of others are enjoying the vicarious experience too. 5225 hits on his topic and 96 following and replying.

Duncan

Magic!! Thanks Duncan, we didn't know that!

We love the air dams, and the turn signal thingemy-bobs, and checking out all yer rides thanks again guys. We're honored that gents such as yourselves are contributing and feeding us information and advice, and that others are reading etc. Cheers!

On Freddie - all I did this evening was block sand the nose, first with 180, then 320, then 400. It was a dirty job, I can tell you. I won't bore you with another messy photo - just imagine dust and more dust.

I am excited to say, it was my 45th birthday yesterday and wifey has, among other things, booked us a fly/drive 4 day trip down Highway 1 in California....we are excited for this, it'll be a rental car, we both need some time together badly - but it'll also be a practice run for when Freddie is ready! We've always wanted to drive Highway 1 in a Volkswagen!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Greetings everyone.

It's cold. 25F this morning and not much more this evening but that's not going to stop me from doing AT LEAST an hour of something.

Tonight, spot putty on the nose, having already primed the rock chips.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And then blocking with 320, and then 400

The top section is very nice, and I'm well pleased with the results. The lower sections will come over the next few evenings.

I really like how this stuff mixes and spreads. Pea/golf ball mixing ratio works even in the low temps, and I shall be buying some more for sure. Just in case anyone was interested.

Now, I am going to drink gallons of water, because weirdly whenever I block sand, I feel SOOOOO dehydrated. Bye for now guys, stay safe.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

We all have our favorite products.

Your nose is a lot of work but coming out great!
Good job

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Thnx for the Dolphin Glaze tip. Always like two part stuff over shrinking one part. I assume it sands well given your approval.

Duncan
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
We all have our favorite products.

Your nose is a lot of work but coming out great!
Good job

Thanks mate. Tis indeed a lot of work and sometimes I wish someone would do it for me.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Thnx for the Dolphin Glaze tip. Always like two part stuff over shrinking one part. I assume it sands well given your approval.

Duncan

It does. I’m knocking it down with 320 which usually clogs up pretty bad… this seems to let the 320 breeze through. Dry time is fast even in the cold, but it does succumb, like most spot putty, to a spreader that’s not perfectly smooth on the edge. Other than that, it’s bloody great stuff.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

I''m going to use my fake junk mail "credit cards" I get as promotions. Have saved up a bunch. If I remember, I even clean them up with acetone for the next project.

Great work. Can't wait to see Freddy in primer. I'll bet you can't either.

Duncan
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
I''m going to use my fake junk mail "credit cards" I get as promotions. Have saved up a bunch. If I remember, I even clean them up with acetone for the next project.

Great work. Can't wait to see Freddy in primer. I'll bet you can't either.

Duncan

Ahh mate that's a sterling idea - I burned through all my surplus vinyl wrap applicators ages ago - the fake credit card idea is inspired! I'm totally stealing your idea, and passing it off as my own to my friends Very Happy

Freddie in primer....oh how I long for the day. Thanks man. The passenger side rear is...somewhat worse than all the rest of the body combined. I'm going the long way round to arrive there last. Thankfully I have a new panel, but it's going to be a sumbitch to weld in.

I appreciate your encouragement!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Well, I have to say I'm super happy with the lower panel. This was peppered with rock chips. I'm loving the Dolphin Glaze.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Perfect. Blow a coat of rattle can blue on it and hand it in.

Duncan
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Perfect. Blow a coat of rattle can blue on it and hand it in.

Duncan

Hahaha, I thought the very same, until I had some kind of crazy moment....

pics coming...
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Crazy moment - went to an actual paint store, and bought some relatively high build primer. When I say relatively high build, there's only so much "building high" a rattle can nozzle can do. But the stuff I bought was very nice indeed. Three coats (a sand with 400g on the second coat) and I achieved cheap-ass-paint-job-nirvana.

Rolled Freddie outside as it was a nice day, to admire my half-assery, and also clean the garage a bit. (I'm actually very pleased how the nose has come out)

Then I had to look at the other side of Freddie....the passenger side.....eussscchhh......I'm not looking forward to doing this...

although I do have this...which I'm not sure whether to smile or wince about...

and with any luck my buddy has a spare sliding door because this one is, as we say in England, is absolutely fu.....

I'm glad the sun was shining today and I managed to get productive. A clean garage makes me happy.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

My 2cents…..

Use that new wheel arch as a donor for patch pieces.
To weld in the new arch will be a major PITA!
To cut out bits and weld them in will be child’s play in comparison.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Ur nose looks fabulous, congrats. My friend Mr. N. Picker wonders about the paint sag at the bottom of the antenna hole and hopes it's going to be covered with the escutcheon. Of course, we know it't not rust.

Dave makes a good point about the wheel arch. Any welding you do as he suggests will be easily accessible from the back and therefore easy to apply appropriate rust protection. Not so much at the OG seams.

Think you are right about the slider. Think how much better your gas mileage will be with a new door. You must have 30 pounds of Bondo under that zone. Somebody got T boned.

You are doing great work and love the posts.

Duncan
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Ur nose looks fabulous, congrats. My friend Mr. N. Picker wonders about the paint sag at the bottom of the antenna hole and hopes it's going to be covered with the escutcheon. Of course, we know it't not rust.

Dave makes a good point about the wheel arch. Any welding you do as he suggests will be easily accessible from the back and therefore easy to apply appropriate rust protection. Not so much at the OG seams.

Think you are right about the slider. Think how much better your gas mileage will be with a new door. You must have 30 pounds of Bondo under that zone. Somebody got T boned.

You are doing great work and love the posts.

Duncan

Thanks you guys!!

Well spotted - that "paint sag" is actually some silicone that the PO put around the non stock antenna mount. In this case, stupid me completely forgot to get it off the body before I painted it. My excuse it, it's clear silicone and I'm old and can't remember stuff Very Happy I'll be redoing that bit.

I agree with both you and Dave - I took what you guys' said completely on board regarding the fender piece, and as you can see in the next few pictures. I am extra glad I didn't have to fire up my welder.

My buddy does NOT have a spare sliding door, so I am going to pretend I didn't see the 30lbs of bondo on the door and look up at the sky and dribble a bit Very Happy
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Today, was another super productive day. Eventually.

At first, I thought I'd take it easy and slap some tractor enamel up around the underside, concentrating on parts where I see surface rust and places that get splashed with mud and water.

I was going to drop the clamshell (sounds like a euphamism) and paint that too, but then I realized I was being a bit of a sissy, and doing futile activities in which to stay away from that rotten old passenger rear fender.

So I manned-up and got on with it...

Wifey is still doing her degree, as well as 100 other things. But she still found time to make me a nice sandwich, that I enjoyed in the 60F sunshine...

I spent a lot of time hammering this fender out. Using a hammer and dolly, a sledgehammer, my hands - clad in welding gloves - and a tape measure to make sure it's protruding the correct amount. Then, like a true hack, I decided I could only blow through the existing metal and put my welder away, opting to epoxy some galvanized steel behind the hole left in the fender lip...

Getting some primer on really showed me the highs and lows. Lots of them.

I like this 3M filler. It was cold and I thought it had actually gone off, but after a good stir it came back to life

I actually ran out of time. I know that's not possible, and that time is infinite, but you know what I mean. That wheel well, to me, looks great, and needs a skim of Dolphin Glaze and another two hours work before priming again. All in all, a splendid spread.

Cheers me'dears!

Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Way to go taking on that nasty wheel well repair! No sense dinking around with the “simpler” jobs first! Laughing

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Way to go taking on that nasty wheel well repair! No sense dinking around with the “simpler” jobs first! Laughing

Agreed! Thank you!! Although ten minutes into the job I hated my decision Confused
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

This evening I had two hours - so I finished up the wheel arch, shaping the Dolphin Glaze I spread last night.

I am very pleased with the results.

I'm not sure if I am going to post anything else before 25th, so incase I don't - have a happy thanksgiving everyone!!

Gary & Christina x
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:

Agreed! Thank you!! Although ten minutes into the job I hated my decision Confused

You mean the decision to use filler instead of welding? It looks fine. Move onto other stuff and worry about that ten years from now. It should last that long at least.

Happy T Day

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: