Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Yo,

Danny here from Small Car. We've had this sheet metal required for converting a 2WD van to a Syncro for years. We just got around to putting it together into a kit and listing it on the site. I'm dropping a link here incase people are looking for this in the future. The instructions are pretty minimal but if you're savvy enough to be doing this swap yourself they will be sufficient.

https://smallcar.com/2wd-to-4wd-syncro-conversion-sheet-metal-kit-for-vanagons/
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Oh very cool.

The transmission mount template is worth it weight in gold. That was no fun to figure out when I did mine.

Robyn
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Super cool, thanks for the info!
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

I would have surely bought this if I had know it was available when doing my swap. As stated before the trans mounts are tough to do especially if you don’t have a lift.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Wow Danny. You guys don't mess around.

So, with this kit, is there nothing that needs to be "cut" off the Syncro donor hulk frame?

Would be nice to have the fuel filler body cutout too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Have you got any plans to do a kit of the various reinforcements in the Rough Road package that was fitted to the 16" Syncros?
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Sodo,

I think you still need the steering rack spacer bracket. Unless I missed it I didn’t see it in the kit.

Really cool stuff. I wish this would have been available earlier when I did this conversion!

Mat
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Wow Danny. You guys don't mess around.

So, with this kit, is there nothing that needs to be "cut" off the Syncro donor hulk frame?

Would be nice to have the fuel filler body cutout too.

Just trying to make some of the cool stuff we use in shop available to all. With the bracket kit the only things you still need to cut off the van are the power steering rack cross member and the filler assembly. Manufacturing a filler assembly would be cool. I’ll keep that in mind.
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

clift_d wrote:
Have you got any plans to do a kit of the various reinforcements in the Rough Road package that was fitted to the 16" Syncros?

A kit like this would be awesome. I’ll put it on our to do list.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Someone (Burley?) at least used to make the power steering rack cross member. I'm not sure if they do any more.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
Someone (Burley?) at least used to make the power steering rack cross member. I'm not sure if they do any more.

Some years back, I checked with Burley regarding their rack mount. At the time, they were not selling it as an individual part. After doing one, there are a lot more specific parts you will need from a donor, but these parts would definitely save some time doing your conversion.
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

That crossmember is doable. Maybe someday in the future but we don't offer it right now.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Get someone to make forged steering knuckles, then you'd be set.
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

The front diff cradle, in small piece to allow shipment that you can DIY weld at home would be awesome too. Very Happy
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Can someone tell me why vendors can advertise products for sale on the forums but if I even mention that I have something for sale, the thread is locked? I don't mind anyone advertising a product for sale in the forum. But I do mind that the rule seems to favor vendors over general contributors.

General Dos and Don'ts
DON'T post for sale or wanted ads or business advertising in the Forums - Use the Free Classifieds ONLY. Repeat: NO ADS IN THE FORUMS
The exception to this is in response to a request for information, e.g. "Who sells part xxxx?"

I think the rules should be soften. Like allowing "hey I just posted this stuff for sale in the classifieds - its $50" or what ever.

Am I the only that sees the hypocrisy?
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
Can someone tell me why vendors can advertise products for sale on the forums but if I even mention that I have something for sale, the thread is locked? I don't mind anyone advertising a product for sale in the forum. But I do mind that the rule seems to favor vendors over general contributors.

General Dos and Don'ts
DON'T post for sale or wanted ads or business advertising in the Forums - Use the Free Classifieds ONLY. Repeat: NO ADS IN THE FORUMS
The exception to this is in response to a request for information, e.g. "Who sells part xxxx?"

I think the rules should be soften. Like allowing "hey I just posted this stuff for sale in the classifieds - its $50" or what ever.

I saw this as more of a "Hey, leaving this info here incase you need it." The first place someone will come when figuring out what they need for a syncro conversion is the samba. I'm not too concerned about whether or not it sells.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

vanagondan wrote:
Franklinstower wrote:

General Dos and Don'ts

I saw this as more of a "Hey, leaving this info here incase you need it." The first place someone will come when figuring out what they need for a syncro conversion is the samba. I'm not too concerned about whether or not it sells.

I need one in the near future, just the template makes it all worth it to me for saving time!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:

General Dos and Don'ts

Vendors pay to advertise. Classifieds are free. What are you arguing?
Imagine how flooded the forum would be if everyone like you posted their stub axle or head rest here.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
MayorMcCheese wrote:

Some years back, I checked with Burley regarding their rack mount. At the time, they were not selling it as an individual part. After doing one, there are a lot more specific parts you will need from a donor, but these parts would definitely save some time doing your conversion.

I have a Burley conversion rack mount in my stuff. It was intended for my '85. I bought it around 2015? I've forgotten about it since my '85 was sold.

I need to dig it out and list it in the classifieds. It would go perfectly with that sheetmetal kit listed above from Smallcar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD Syncro Conversion Sheet Metal Kit Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
MarkWard wrote:
MayorMcCheese wrote:

I have a Burley conversion rack mount in my stuff. It was intended for my '85. I bought it around 2015? I've forgotten about it since my '85 was sold.

I need to dig it out and list it in the classifieds. It would go perfectly with that sheetmetal kit listed above from Smallcar

I`m interested!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: