Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difference between Bug and Bus engines?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Difference between Bug and Bus engines? Reply with quote

I have a B6xxxxxx engine in my '69 Bus. It's got dual port heads and an alternator, but that's about all I know about it right now.
The tables here suggest that Buses that year had engines in the B5xxxxxx series, and that I have a Bug engine in the Bus.
What is the difference? I never knew there was any.

Of course the air cleaners, tinware and such are different. But why would the engine blocks be different?

When I get the Bus home I may learn more (it's about 200 miles away), but in the meantime this is confusing me.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bug and Bus engines? Reply with quote

I think it’s just the “Ear mounts”. My ignorance can’t describe “Ear mounts” for a Type1 in a bus vs a bug. Somebody here will though. And possibly more.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bug and Bus engines? Reply with quote

ok, maybe you mean for the rear the engine carrier?

My last Bus was a swing axle '65 and bug/bus engines were interchange on it.

On a related note, I may change the carb (I can't remember what it has), and I am not a fan of the 009 mechanical advance distributor inmost cars, but especially on a Bus where high rpm horsepower is not the need, but flexibility at the low end is important.

What combo would have come on this engine (B5 or B6)?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bug and Bus engines? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I think it’s just the “Ear mounts”. My ignorance can’t describe “Ear mounts” for a Type1 in a bus vs a bug. Somebody here will though. And possibly more.

A T1 bus engine would have 3 bosses around the oil pump for the mustache bar to attach to. A beetle T1 could be used, but only with a adapter that mounted to the oil pump.

As far as cam and compression differences, I’m not sure there was much of one. Now, if it’s a dual port that would have only been used in a ‘71 bus. As everything before was a single port and everything after was a T4. At this stage of the game it would be highly unlikely that your newly acquired bud has the original engine, but with 29,000 posts I think you already know that.

On a side note, ain’t nothing wrong with a real 009. I’ve been running one for years and I can’t imagine not having one. Now a Chinese lone is a different story.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bug and Bus engines? Reply with quote

I know it's not the original engine, yes. And with it not here yet, I am just guessing based on the serial number and gross equipment I can see in a pic.

I don't know what the rear mount looks like, and won't until it's here and on a lift, at least a week away.

I suppose one could have put dual port heads on a pre-'71 engine.

On other VW engines, I found the 009 made for more power at higher rpm, but sacrificed the lower end power and smoothness the vacuum advance gave it. So in traffic the vacuum-equipped distributors seemed to make for less shifting (as well as somewhat better mileage). But I'm guessing for this engine. And with the non-stock (for that year) dual port heads, it's kinda moot what it originally came with.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bug and Bus engines? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
So in traffic the vacuum-equipped distributors seemed to make for less shifting (as well as somewhat better mileage).

I get 20 mpg on the highway and rarely shift north of 4200 RPMs, but I guess every build is different.

I actually having an engine built right now for my newly acquired ‘65 beetle and I only had 4 requests on the build. A real 009, working t-stat, a mechanical fuel pump and a oil filter. As I said in the last paragraph, everyone is different.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bug and Bus engines? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
So in traffic the vacuum-equipped distributors seemed to make for less shifting (as well as somewhat better mileage).

I find that mostly true. The vacuum-only setups with the right carb all in good tune can honestly use sub-idle speeds in the lower gears. Since they don't pair well with a 34pict, they're typically installed on single ports which always seem to be 1-2mpg behind their dual-port twins with otherwise identical setups. But driven 4-5 hours in stop/go LA traffic, the vacuum distributors are unmatched in ease of drivability while netting 20+mpg if kept under 55mph.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: