Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

Long story short, I ordered all my gauges and stuff long before the Berrien Nostalgia body arrived. I was really sweating the two 5" gauges. I had serious doubts as to whether I could make them work!

I think I made it work though. 5" electronic speedometer, 5" tach, 2 5/8" fuel gauge, 2 5/8" boost gauge, 2 3/4" bluetooth stereo controller, 4-pot switch box, and five 1/2" idiot lights! The "check engine" light is oil pressure and the battery light is alternator.

No question here, just celebrating LOL.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SJackson1369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

Looks really slick, Im jealous
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

SJackson1369 wrote:
Looks really slick, Im jealous

Thanks! I must have spent 40 hrs looking at that dash, trying to figure out how to make it all work.

I'm trying something new (for me) with the electronic speedometer. I bought a GPS speed sensor to go with it, rather than a cable adapter. This will allow me to use literally any size tire with no affect on speedometer reading.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

I like my GPS speedometer, in my case using a Speedhut 3-3/8 speedometer. The rest of my dash includes a Speedhut 2 inch gas gauge. 4 idiot LED lights (they could stand to be brighter), a 4 position light switch from Speedway Motors (hi, low, park, off), and the typical marine style ignition switch.

Your dash turned out very nice. Cool I love that metallic orange color too. Where is the ignition switch? Is that a stereo control at the bottom of the dash cluster?
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

I went with an Intellitronix GPS sender, USA made and lifetime warranty. Hoping it works as good as they claim!

I mounted the ignition switch to the left of the steering wheel. Feels strange but it was the only place left!

The bottom piece is a Bluetooth stereo controller made by MTX. It’s designed for the UTV market so fully waterproof. It will have a direct connection to a marine grade amp and two 6.5” speakers (also marine grade). It’s a very simple unit but it fits my needs perfectly with a very small footprint.
AuburnGrad93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

Very nice! Love that Orange color too! What color Orange is that? What size metal flake did you use? I am building a Manxter and am going to paint it Orange as well.

Blaming a gun for crime is like blaming a fork for Rosie O'Donnell being FAT!

1969 Dune Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

AuburnGrad93 wrote:
Very nice! Love that Orange color too! What color Orange is that? What size metal flake did you use? I am building a Manxter and am going to paint it Orange as well.

Thank you! It's a brand new Berrien Nostalgia body. It is their tangelo orange metalflake gelcoat.

I couldn't tell you what size metal flake it is, unfortunately. Take a look at TCP Global's Tangelo orange metalflake, they offer it in .004 to .025.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

Sweet color! I do like the dash layout. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what to do on mine. It already had a bunch of holes in it and I did not want to start over. I would have loved to get a stainless or aluminum overlay, maybe even a grooved one. I don't have the know how how to do that. I could do it in wood, but not metal.
Luftwagen 2180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

I never figured out how to fit everything on the original dash area. When I replaced the body after the accident I was on my 3rd pair of bifocals Originally wired it when I was 15. Big roll of blue wire, shortest distance between 2 points, a real rats nest! On the next body I cut most of the dash out and got a piece of heavy tin bent in almost a 90 degree angle and hinged it on the body/ steering wheel support square tube. Covered it in thin oak plywood. Now I sit in the passenger seat, beer and tools on the drivers seat to do repairs. Still a bit of a rats nest, but easy to trace.

Rengroulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/p

ix/2050615.jpg[/img]
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

Luv that orange.
My working dog is not as simple. 3 gauge piller pod with boost, trans temp, and pyrometer. Tablet with a rv travel app. Aftermarket tpms for 2 different trailers. Rear camera on the rv, and another focused on the ball for hooking up. Edge moniter, data logger, and tuner for leaping over mountain passes.
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

side question any tricks to drilling these big @$$ holes in a brand new body? masking tape fresh hole saw?? Some of the gauges offer little to no hiding errors.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

Dangib wrote:
side question any tricks to drilling these big @$$ holes in a brand new body? masking tape fresh hole saw?? Some of the gauges offer little to no hiding errors.

A good sharp hole saw in the correct size. I will have strips of 1-1/2 inch masking tape across the dash to check my level and layout my centers. I often have paper cutouts to temporarily tape at those centers to "see" the layout.

Once I like the layout I generally start with an undersized pilot hole. That gives me one last chance to adjust the exact location, getting right on the centers, as I work up to the hole saw pilot size (generally 1/4 inch.) Then measure 3 more times, and once confident you gotta go for it!
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

I prefer to go slightly undersize on the hole saw vs. gauge diameter as in my experience hole saws can be hit or miss in finish hole diameter accuracy. Masking tape the area, center punch the hole center, then draw a precise finish hole size with compass. Pilot hole as EV suggested, then get close but slightly under with the hole saw. Finish up with drum sander on dremel. Gives you some control on cleaning up gel coat chips from the coarse hole saw and create a perfect fit. You only get one shot! Shocked
Jeff
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
I prefer to go slightly undersize on the hole saw vs. gauge diameter as in my experience hole saws can be hit or miss in finish hole diameter accuracy. Masking tape the area, center punch the hole center, then draw a precise finish hole size with compass. Pilot hole as EV suggested, then get close but slightly under with the hole saw. Finish up with drum sander on dremel. Gives you some control on cleaning up gel coat chips from the coarse hole saw and create a perfect fit. You only get one shot! Shocked
Jeff

You should take his advice on that. The dashes I've cut have been either painted or old gelcoat. A fresh gelcoat finish could be more prone to chipping at the edge of the cut.
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
Jeff

This was my exact approach. I always drill my hole 1/4" undersize and then grab the dremel.

If it's a 1/2" to 1" hole, I just use a wrasp on a cordless drill. Less chance of snagging and tearing.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

I have drilled many holes in my life, and the Greenlee holesaws have become a favorite, as long as you're not trying to drill through a timber. Drill right to the size & no effing around, short stubby pilot that you have to try REALLY hard to bend or break.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
I have drilled many holes in my life, and the Greenlee holesaws have become a favorite, as long as you're not trying to drill through a timber. Drill right to the size & no effing around, short stubby pilot that you have to try REALLY hard to bend or break.

My google-fu is letting me down. I can't find that same teeth pattern.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How much STUFF can you fit on a dashboard?!? Reply with quote

Dan the workingstiff wrote:
... can't find that same teeth pattern.

Here ya go:

https://www.hanessupply.com/greenlee-925-7-8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: