Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Omitting stock oil cooler from doghouse shroud
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Omitting stock oil cooler from doghouse shroud Reply with quote

So I heard back in 2003/2004 about some people were omitting the doghouse oil cooler on big engines up to 2275cc , but never saw compression numbers.

They block off the cooler on the case , ran lines to remote oil cooler and thermostatically switched fan under the car on left of trans.
They would prop the bottom of the deck lid , Accor to them no heating issues.
I now see this in 2021 still and they still utilizing this method.

So does it really work on big engines with 8:0:1 to 10:0:5 compression,
Driven on street?

Thanks in advance
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

Bad idea.

I have a 2180 and it runs as cool as stock with just the stock oil cooler.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

Works fine with mine…

2100cc, 9.8:1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

So many variables.

There's no real reason to defeat the very nicely engineered stock cooler although adding an aux cooler is nice insurance.

Thats what I have done with my 2276 street car at 11:1
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

In my manual I told customers of my Type 4 Conversion manual to use the larger T-4 Oil cooler.

I drive a 2.0 914 in my bug and personally found out the stock T-1 cooler was enough to cool my engine.

A point some guys miss if you have an engine that is putting out more HP, the engine will hardly be working to to push the car.

Less work, less heat.

Sure if you go High Compression etc. you just jumped into the unknown.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

I run a remote cooler "only'' on both of my street cars.

No issues at all. Regulates oil at 195F no matter what.
I saw the oil temp hit 205F once after a long highway trip on a 90F+ day.

So I run a late model fan (wider) in an early shroud.
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
I run a remote cooler "only'' on both of my street cars.

No issues at all. Regulates oil at 195F no matter what.
I saw the oil temp hit 205F once after a long highway trip on a 90F+ day.

What compression and what brand of remote oil cooler?

Thanks .
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

I run remote only on a 2110 bus but only because I kept getting leaks off the oil adapter and got sick of dropping the motor. End result is I still run 180-200 everywhere I go. No fan on the cooler, just a scoop to direct air over it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

My numbers are similar to Tom’s. My fan comes on at 190F and my oil never gets above 195F. I live in Texas and it gets plenty hot.

Setrab oil cooler and fan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
My numbers are similar to Tom’s. My fan comes on at 190F and my oil never gets above 195F. I live in Texas and it gets plenty hot.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2175964.jpg[/img

How is that mounted? Guess it's attached to the torsion tube?
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

So far every one as just mentioned oil temps , what about the more important CHT difference ? Has anyone done a back to back change and noted the difference or difference in CHT's , particularly on a hot day over 30C , 90F ambients ?
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

how long have you ran that Sertab oil cooler and how efficienthas it been , including the thermostat on it?

thanks
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
So far every one as just mentioned oil temps , what about the more important CHT difference ? Has anyone done a back to back change and noted the difference or difference in CHT's , particularly on a hot day over 30C , 90F ambients ?

Made zero difference in CHT readings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

94touring wrote:
Wreck wrote:

Made zero difference in CHT readings.

That makes sense , with the dog house the cooler is out of the air flow and the airflow feeding the cooler duct should be surplus. Nice to know someone has done the experiment .
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

My first thought : why? There's delicate balances going on inside those shrouds, figured out by engineers who knew what they were doing.

Then I read :

Ohio Tom wrote:

And that totally makes sense; you're not upsetting the balance by modifying a doghouse shroud, just increasing the flow (presumably). I assume the choice of an early shroud is for reasons of space?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

Yes,

UK Luke 72 wrote:
txoval wrote:

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2175964.jpg[/img

How is that mounted? Guess it's attached to the torsion tube?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

I have been running the Setrab for two years, before that I had a 6 pass cooler.

The Setrab is much more efficient and a better cooler by far. It is tiny too, 6”x6”

It is an inline electronic thermostat, no a bypass…oil gets to 190F and the fan kicks on. Thermostat is on the outlet side of the cooler
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I have been running the Setrab for two years, before that I had a 6 pass cooler.

The Setrab is much more efficient and a better cooler by far. It is tiny too, 6”x6”

It is an inline electronic thermostat, no a bypass…oil gets to 190F and the fan kicks on. Thermostat is on the outlet side of the cooler

Setrab or the CBR cooler where my choices ,
Getting the Setrab for sure..

Thank yo and have a blessed Sunday txoval.
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

hi txoval, what about the relief plunger bypass on the flywheel side, still stock spring and piston?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Omitting stock oil cooler fro doghouse shroud Reply with quote

Stock spring and piston…

My stock cooler block off allows flow thru it…the ports aren’t plugged, so the oil system doesn’t know the cooler isn’t installed

Just as a warning, the Setrab setup is not cheap

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2278097
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: