Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 21-Window at Mecum auction this weekend
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 21-Window at Mecum auction this weekend Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Black fill-in on the hubcap logos is a little later than should be.

What does this mean? Did later buses lose the black painted VW on the hubcap? When was that change?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 21-Window at Mecum auction this weekend Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
hitest wrote:

Black fill-in on the hubcap logos is a little later than should be.

What does this mean? Did later buses lose the black painted VW on the hubcap? When was that change?

1964 IIRC.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 21-Window at Mecum auction this weekend Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
BonTonRoulet wrote:
Tizian wrote:
How much did it fetch?

I don't know. I clicked on the link posted above and it said I had to put a log into it or something to see the selling price. Laughing

The 1965 21 window sold for $132,000

This 1964 mouse grey 21 window sold for $88,000

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1021-468008/1964-volkswagen-type-ii-21-window-deluxe-bus/

Mouse Grey '64 seems reasonable if it was real.

'65 21-Window... That's crazy for a fake, I wonder if they knew it was a fake.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 21-Window at Mecum auction this weekend Reply with quote

No denying thats a pretty bus though... nice Razz
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 21-Window at Mecum auction this weekend Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:
BonTonRoulet wrote:
Tizian wrote:
How much did it fetch?

I don't know. I clicked on the link posted above and it said I had to put a log into it or something to see the selling price. Laughing

The 1965 21 window sold for $132,000

This 1964 mouse grey 21 window sold for $88,000

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1021-468008/1964-volkswagen-type-ii-21-window-deluxe-bus/

Mouse Grey '64 seems reasonable if it was real.

'65 21-Window... That's crazy for a fake, I wonder if they knew it was a fake.

Weird that a fake went for more than an ostensibly real one. No love for Mouse Gray?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 21-Window at Mecum auction this weekend Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Were they both fake?

I do not know.

I watched the red 21 window cross the block on TV and the TV announcer specifically said it was a tribute that was converted into a 21 window. I did not see the mouse grey 64 21 window cross the block.

I think the mouse grey looked pretty good from the pictures, not perfect but neither was the 1965 bus. I think the big difference in the sold price came down to a premium auction time slot on Saturday. It seems like the cars to cross the block in a good time slot always sell for more money than the ones that cross really early in the day or too late in the evening.
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 21-Window at Mecum auction this weekend Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Were they both fake?

I do not know.

I watched the red 21 window cross the block on TV and the TV announcer specifically said it was a tribute that was converted into a 21 window. I did not see the mouse grey 64 21 window cross the block.

I think the mouse grey looked pretty good from the pictures, not perfect but neither was the 1965 bus. I think the big difference in the sold price came down to a premium auction time slot on Saturday. It seems like the cars to cross the block in a good time slot always sell for more money than the ones that cross really early in the day or too late in the evening.

Absolutely. Auction fever gets hot the later the auction runs. In my experience buying and selling there, there are crazy good deals to be had early on Wednesday and Thursday, and the prices get overinflated on Saturday.

Unless it's a bus nerd, buyers will pick a red bus over a mouse grey any day of the week. The red and white samba is one of the most identifiable vehicles out there and holds high esteem with the people buying stuff at televised auctions. Mouse grey is boring in comparison.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: