Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:
azmodela wrote:
Shoyrtt wrote:
I watched the episode and have to disagree with the opinions in this thread for the most part. This body was restored to very high standards. It appeared at first glance to be a nice stock driver. They found out quickly there was a lot of lipstick and hacks that had been performed by the PO. The body was welded to the pan, the semaphores were in the wrong location, there were several modifications that were incorrect or done poorly. They dipped the body to get all of the bondo and crap off of the car to expose all of the flaws. At that point in the build, they explained how the owner could not drive a stick and so they sourced an IRS pan to build with the Vanagon auto trans and restored the stock engine, pan and components to return it to original in the future if desired. If a person has the resources to enjoy the car to their liking, why the grief when they made the commitment to preserve the original equipment?

I agree with this. With so many things we are quick to judge what’s occurring on the surface, while missing the underlying story. This is one more Heb, correctly repaired and being enjoyed.

As a member of the registry staff, I can say that heb is almost restored as it should be.. one minus.. inside the heater channels, they forgot the reinforcement rails ( not seen on the video) probably forgot the extra V rail inside the underside reinforcement rail, and they moved the rear body mounts for the fat chick chassis. They also cut out the inner wings in the rear for those shocks... For the rest.. i think it was restored. I know the complete history on this car, except the body nr. That was lost long time ago in Germany. The resto was done by the man who came back from Germany as US soldier. The car was shipped to Usa, restored, shipped back to Germany to be used there... and finaly sold again, shipped by BBT4VW to California. The new owner decided to sell it as he wanted a heb with known body nr. I like that they restored the original floorpan and saved it.

They also modified the body for the nose of the new transmission to clear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's not my car, so who am I to say, but if they had have just dropped it on another pan and done no body mods I would feel better about it ever getting returned to stock. Once you throw having to spend money to undo those mods into the equation, some will just say the heck with it and leave it as is. Even though they saved the old pan, the new owner will have to store that and at some point, might get sold or parted out to get it out of the way so the car will never go back to original.

It really comes down to the rarity of Hebs that gets people riled up.
I know people had a hear attack when Rich dropped that red and white Heb, but there were no mods to the body so it had a better chance of being put back to original. It really looked good though. BBT Bob took flack for Hebzilla but as I remember, there were also no permanent body mods on what was a very rough body.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Brick wall Popcorn Popcorn

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
It really comes down to the rarity of Hebs that gets people riled up. I know people had a hear attack when Rich dropped that red and white Heb, but there were no mods to the body so it had a better chance of being put back to original. It really looked good though. BBT Bob took flack for Hebzilla but as I remember, there were also no permanent body mods on what was a very rough body.
as far as I know, it has already been made stock.

We are only caretakers for these cars. Anything weird that has been done to this car can and will be changed eventually. There is literally no degree to which a Heb can get destroyed that it will not get rebuilt. Burnt to the ground in a barn fire? no problem, just take some part of the car and rebody the rest around it. The vast majority of Hebs have been restored at least once, and many have been restored multiple times.

People like to complain about everything. It is our national pastime. People should spend more time whining about their own cars, or just not whining at all. (this is coming from the guy who started the largest topic on thesamba, which is all about whining and complaining)
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WrennMetallWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

O No Mr. Bill… 🤪

Purpose Over Pleasure 🕊

“Hard Werk ⚒ God First “

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0-PSeV52tZ4&si=wpcuRnQyvIFo2nCJ
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PaCorLXzC5w&si=cbzT8fjlzVlIWfSV
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_aoE5aYSutY&si=mkZKPxd_41QA1kfs
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzUyyVexAE&feature=share
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8yUrIWS7E&feature=share
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
People like to complain about everything. It is our national pastime. People should spend more time whining about their own cars, or just not whining at all. (this is coming from the guy who started the largest topic on thesamba, which is all about whining and complaining)

That's quote-worthy, right there. That's gonna be in my sig line (maybe), coming from a guy who's never had a sig line (and a complainer, too Smile )
hoffvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Just a picture dump, as I found a couple more 'before pictures' from an event in LA in 2018. No idea why it has a 1947 license plate.

and one higher resolution 'after':

Thanks to Shoyrtt, I'll have to watch the bonus materials on 'Once Upon a Time...'
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

I vote for "before"
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Couple SEMA pics taken here at Just A Car Guy blog. If you're not following this blog, you're missing out! Smile

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2021/11/the-corvettes-and-vws-at-kindig-booth.html
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Those ugly wheels don't look any better on a type 2...

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Don't know if it's the angle in the pic, but fenders look widened. or simply the fugly wheels to far out in the fenderwells. This Heb looks like a cheapish 1980s fibreglass fake now. it does nothing to emphasize on the beauty of the original design. not my car, none of my business, just saying.... Laughing

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Everything they have customized can be returned to stock pretty easily, and they even kept the original pan to restore it.
So I'm all for it!
The wheel design is a personal taste.
All in all top quality work has been done on that car.
Look at the pictures, no bondo, just blank metal Cool
And when they started on the car it already wasn't 100% stock, just look at the semaphores when the car was black/grey Wink Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Not Safari Izzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Should have started with a super beetle and made a Heb instead of the other way around

1952 Beetle 11G
1956 Beetle 151
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Not Safari Izzy wrote:
Should have started with a super beetle and made a Heb instead of the other way around
maybe we should give it a nickname: "SuperHeb"
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Those ugly wheels don't look any better on a type 2...

LOLZ! I'm glad I am not the only one who feels this way. Those rims look like dog shit on a stick on both the Heb and the Barndoor 23

I feel like people are biting their tongue cause they don't want to bash a guy that people nut swing off of cause he has his own show and is well known in the American car circle.

Oh well, to each their own. As they say; opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one.
Not Safari Izzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Not Safari Izzy wrote:
maybe we should give it a nickname: "SuperHeb"
Laughing

1952 Beetle 11G
1956 Beetle 151
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Some people would like to see these cars put away in museums so as not to risk damage. I watched both episodes, and although at first I cringed a little bit, after seeing the horrible job that was previously done on the car, they did a first-class job of restoration, albeit with a few mods to accommodate the newer and upgraded pan and running gear. All of which are small compared to the crap previously done and can easily be undone. It's not like this was a completely original, pristine car. This car will now be driven and enjoyed, not only by the owners but by any passersby.
Zwitter UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

What's the big deal?

It's only a Heb for fcuk's sake.
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

To be correct... the horrible job like welding the body to the floorpan was done in the 60s.. Previous owner who restored the car did what was in his power.. Body was blasted with pan in one move.. I have picts of that restauration and you can see the welds with brass. Some of them are on the hebmuller registry.

https://www.hebmueller-registry.com/models-reader-hebmueller/id-1-0148550.html?page_g332=2

And you see the painted number on the bulkhead. This number is probably painted in handwriting on the body when they left VW towards Hebmuller for conversion. This to help VW to see how many body's they send out in order to get the 675 ordered type 14a cars. So far I found only a handfull of painted numbers on hebs.. Most of them were already blasted away in the past or cut out and replaced with new metal.

Some of the mods can be undone simple way..others are a bit harder. Like the bump for the big gearbox under the rear seat and cut out inner wings in the rear for later shock mounts. I hope they followed my information to reinforce the body rails and inside heater chanels.. If not, the car will flex, for sure under the powerplant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

With reproduction bodies available why butcher the real thing, I just simply do not get it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: