Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

I just shipped a decklid, with box, doubled, and it weighed 22 lbs. It was going across country and the last one I shipped, including box, 3-4 years ago was just under $50. Now with the exact same ground shipping, and the exact same box, this one shipped for $178. And now, this one will be late according to the UPS center. Everyone and I mean everyone is on the Covid bandwagon, getting to charge MORE for LESS. The box from Uhaul that I use cost $9.95 a couple years ago. Now it is $19.95. Without the box, which concerns me less when shipping, is the $158 shipping. At this price, and believe me when I say the deck lid in the box only had a couple inches on the side for packing, I WILL NOT be doing any shipment on larger items anymore. From $30 maybe $40 a few years ago to $158 now,,,,,NO MORE. They say it is COVID related, well isnt everything, from groceries to shipping. I will not forget, and I am done with them. This will alone stop the buying and selling of classic car parts. More than 80% it is said is done by carriers.....not anymore.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

It’s the Pagan Holiday price increase due to huge demand.

This happens every year, by the way.

The Covid vaccine causes memory loss and also makes you fearful of firearms, so that might be why people forget
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Don't forget usps has a "temporary" holiday price increase on flat rate bags/boxes. And forget about even trying to use greyhound, total nightmare ( they will be out of business soon). I agree- shipping large parts is about over.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

I thought this was about the USPS as their large(r) shipment costs are ridiculous now too.
I'm not even talking about something hood sized though, things that are much smaller.
I went to ship an intake manifold recently and it was something crazy like $75 USPS.

UPS has always been the most expensive though...
I always use Fed Ex Ground for anything that is too big/expensive for USPS.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Ev.....Fed Ex Ground was about the same price and further away. Believe me, I checked after this shocker! LW
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Welcome to the new world. UPS had been consistently high pre-Covid. Current pandemic rates now apply. See if you can find a local company that ships often and maybe they can send it cheaper - companies that use UPS for their primary shipping get preferred rates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

In some cases, another option might be using a regional carrier.
For example. in this part of the country we have Speedee Delivery based out of St. Cloud Minnesota. In my experience, they have a much lower price than UPS or FedEx while still having tracking, etc. Your mileage may vary.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

I used to sell and ship things and also stopped doing so due to the exuberant shipping charges. I also have stopped buying a lot of online stuff, due to the same fact. It seems every month or so USPS is increasing its rates. I shifted a lot of buying to Amazon. They have lots of stuff, just not always the good stuff.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

I used to pull old Mazda parts and sell them online; I was able to use my employer's FedEx rates. Once I was downsized after 4 decades, I no longer had this economical option, and lot my competitive advantage, so pretty much stopped this.

Now I just sell off my remaining parts but have to charge more for shipping, and mostly use USPS.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

^^ think you meant exorbitant

things are bad here in the uk - trying to get certain things posted from germany/europe is like pulling teeth and very expensive. often more than or equal to the item, or the seller can't be asked to fill out a customs docket. I know we left the eu but we're still in the same place - just across the channel...! Mad

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

it's been brought up here before, use a broker. Parcel Monkey is one. Prices are much cheaper with a broker. Ardmore is what we use at work but I think you can still get a deal with them as an individual. I have other ways to get the price down but not sharing except with friends. Sorry not sorry

Dimensional weight is a big deal, doesnt matter that a decklid only weighs 22 lbs. Dependent on the box size, it went as 30, 45, or even 60 lbs. That has always been in place but sometimes the clerk doing the shipping misses that and you get it cheaper
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Yes. I am sorry for the spelling/auto-correct.

On USPS the dimension make a huge difference. My sister sent me some carbon wheels for my tri bike. Super light, but the dimension of the box made the shipping cost super high. It cost almost as much as an engine she sent me via freight.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

tcmia wrote:
Yes. I am sorry for the spelling/auto-correct.

On USPS the dimension make a huge difference. My sister sent me some carbon wheels for my tri bike. Super light, but the dimension of the box made the shipping cost super high. It cost almost as much as an engine she sent me via freight.

Same.. when I sent my Easton front wheel back I used FedEx since USPS was 4 times as much.

I stopped selling some of my smaller parts since the cost of shipping was more than the cost of the part.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I used to pull old Mazda parts and sell them online; I was able to use my employer's FedEx rates. Once I was downsized after 4 decades, I no longer had this economical option, and lot my competitive advantage, so pretty much stopped this.

Now I just sell off my remaining parts but have to charge more for shipping, and mostly use USPS.

We had a similar deal with the airline employee discounts @ 75% off. I shipped a bunch of stuff and still can😀 I used yellow freight for really heavy stuff.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

shipping has been stupid for a while.

honestly i blame all the 'free shipping' deals negotiated with bigger companies and we get to pick up the slack.

i use to be able to ship a 091 from CT to CA for about 150 bux. not even sure what it is now.

but honestly, what's the difference....if the current admin gets their way with paypal it really won't be worth selling anything anyway. i really don't sell a lot online anyway but when i do it's typically bigger ticket items. i really don't have the desire to go thru the mathematical gymnastics to figure out all of this shit for yet another 1099 and whatever the accountant will charge to keep me legal.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Its not like the big companies directly compete with classic parts sellers, however the discounts they get creates an expectation from all online buyers. I've used regional carriers and that works well if the customer is close-ish. Some sort of AirBNB/uber type distribution network is ripe for development. All the cars and trucks deadheading with available space, everyone has a phone, etcetc. I've done a bit of this with CL rideshare and it worked very well ( better progress reports than any trucking outfit ).

The "dimensional" charges are really a rip off, its the weight much more than the size that limits the maximum load. I used to work for both Fed/ex and UPS and they know how to squeeze profit like any good souless corporation.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

The "dimensional" charges are really a rip off, its the weight much more than the size that limits the maximum load. I used to work for both Fed/ex and UPS and they know how to squeeze profit like any good souless corporation.

i don't think it's so much the load limit (which is obviously a factor) but it's the volume aspect.

that 75.00 45x45x45 box is taking up the space of 13 15.00 boxes.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Quote:
The "dimensional" charges are really a rip off, its the weight much more than the size that limits the maximum load.

Think that through a bit more.

Talked to my carrier today, they are short staffed. Normally 5 reserves, they have none.

Starting salaries $19 an hour. But…no benefits for 2 years.

What corporate wanker thought that one up?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

I had a guy that wanted a '68-'72 camper stool, UPS shipping to Chicago was $74 !! Shocked Shocked I was not surprised when he passed.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Things may have changed, when I was working there , especially UPS, was the default carrier for anything heavy. So it was one heavy pallet after another till we reached the load limit . 80% of the time there was plenty of volume left. Fed/ex was not that big in the freight game when I was there.

Pay sucked back then as it does now, work the shit out of you. No surprise they are short handed and I feel for those trying to scratch out a living.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: