Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanding body lines
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Sanding body lines Reply with quote

Anybody got any tips or techniques on sanding body lines. I am trying to avoid any grooves and have nice crisp lines
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding body lines Reply with quote

guidecoat and light pressure with a sanding block. let the sandpaper do the work
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding body lines Reply with quote

After using the block I like to use a soft block or even cardboard backing with paper and lightly go over it to knock off any ridges that may have formed from the block, working across the grain.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding body lines Reply with quote

Thanx guys
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding body lines Reply with quote

It's going a bit better. I still am having an issue with leaving a small amount of guide coat in the valley of the line or if I get the line clean and smooth I end up removing the primer on the outside edge of the line. I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong shape of block or maybe the right block but operator error. I'm using 150 grit before 220...steve

jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding body lines Reply with quote

220 is too coarse for primer if sanding by hand and not machine. That’s why you’re knocking down all your primer to expose the metal
Caveey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding body lines Reply with quote

I am probably too late but I had the same problems in my body lines (especially on the rear notch fenders...very tight body line). What worked really well for me was to wrap a drill bit that had the same curve as the body line and it worked great, I think I ended up using 2 different drill bit sizes.

Good Luck!
Rob
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding body lines Reply with quote

SCOTCHBRITE
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: