Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Ghia coupe restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

I've been meaning for a year or so now to start an "official" build thread on my 66 coupe, and just never got around to it. But I've got some time to spare today and thought I'd give it a go. Luckily, all along I've been loading pics into the gallery as work has been done, so I know the general timeline of when things were done, as the initial posts in this thread will be a step back in time a couple years until it catches up to where I'm presently at.

So here we go. This was the night the car arrived at my house back in Feb 2019. It was mostly complete, and mostly solid. It had been bonked in the nose, and the usual battery tray and driver's lower rear fender under the battery were roached. It's tough to see in these pics but the seams in the rockers are actually there, as you'll see later once the car is in bare metal. The interior is cheap aftermarket. TMI door panels and carpet, not sure who made those seat covers with that weird seam pattern.

At this point the paint looks like flat white, but probably 30 years ago this would've been a nice looking paint job. Loads of pearl "flake" in the paint. I bet this thing sparkled in the sun light back in the day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Originally my plan had been to build a patina ride car. I was going to lower it, restore the pan and mechanicals, convert to rack and pinion steering, convert to 4 wheel disc brakes, restore the interior, build a monster engine, and leave the bodywork and exterior rough and faded. This is why I bought a cheap car with a bonked nose...which I came to regret later. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

First thing I did to the car in March 2019 was pull the front beam. I cleaned and pressure washed it to get the years of road gunk off of it. Repainted it, and repainted the trailing arms. Installed new ball joints (fun!). And I also installed the drop spindles, front disc brakes, and new shocks.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Lowered on the new drop spindles and front discs. Much better!

No rub lock to lock

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

In early April 2019, I tackled my door locks. The ignition switch had been replaced with an aftermarket switch, and thus an aftermarket key. The original key had been lost, so I had no key for the doors.
So I picked up a used handle and a key from the classifieds and proceeded to re-key my door locks. I posted it all in this thread which was made into a sticky:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=717132

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Since my original plan had been to build a patina ride with a larger displacement engine, I knew I wanted a tach. I was originally looking at the tach that ISP West sells, that sort of looks correct. But I knew I wasn't going to be happy with one that is close but doesn't quite match.
I got a quote from North Hollywood speedometer to do a clock to tach conversion, that was nearly or close to $1k (I don't recall the quote anymore, but it was in that ballpark). No thanks!
So I decided to make my own using my original clock, a 914 tach, a spare speedo I picked up in the classifieds, and a vinyl tach sticker label also from the classifieds.

I sacrificed this pristine early silver dot 914 tach. Sacrilegious to any 914 owner, I know! Twisted Evil

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

I cut the body of the 914 tach and the body of the original clock in half. I needed the front half of the clock housing to mount the ghia glass and trim ring and the ghia mounting "ears", and I needed the back half of the 914 tach housing to mount the tach internals. I welded them together to create a new housing.

The tach decal from the classifieds went onto the original clock face. The reason I didn't use the 914 tach face is because it's flat, unlike the contoured clock face. This tach I was making had to match the look of the speedo. I'll just say that putting a flat decal onto a contoured face wasn't easy, and took a lot of patience and cutting in just the right spots.

The reason I needed the spare speedo that I mentioned earlier, was solely for the needle. Turned out alright I think! The number label color isn't a perfect match under a bright camera flash, but under the shade of the dash top I don't think it'll be noticeable. And the needles match, which was really important for me. I know the original optional Ghia tachs had needles that didn't match the speedo needle, but even still I can't stand the look of two different needles.

Previously owned:
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Great to see another build thread, especially a 66.
Popcorn

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

One of the other modifications I wanted to make, was a rack and pinion conversion. I personally can't stand the VW worm and sector steering box. I know some people don't mind, but I think it's absolute garbage.

I first tried a rack and pinion kit that a Samba member sells, and nothing in that kit fit correctly, so I sent it back to him. Then I found this kit from Kerscher Tuning in Germany. Everything fit perfectly right out of the box. The only non-bolt-on modification is that you have to cut the steering column down and weld on the adaptor for the U-joint.

Also, as you can see from the mark on the steering column tube, I moved the entire steering wheel and column forward about an inch. I'm tall with long legs and long arms, so I have to have the seat as far back as it will go, and even then I feel like the steering wheel is too close to me. Moving the wheel forward slightly will be a much more comfortable position for me.

Here is also the first sign that I was thinking about doing more than a patina ride. I saw a malachite green car in the classifieds and fell for the color. I bought a rattle can of it and test sprayed it here under the gas tank where no one would really see if I decided to keep on with the patina ride route.

Previously owned:

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

On April 27th 2019 my longtime girlfriend and I got married! I hadn't planned on the Ghia being in any of the wedding pics, but the photographers saw it in the garage and basically nagged me the entire time to roll it out in the driveway for some pics.

Also, as happens with these things, sometimes life gets in the way of the build. After our wedding and honeymoon we came back to the hot sticky NC summer and I didn't feel like being out in the garage working on the car. Plus I got swamped with work, and very little would happen for almost an entire year after this.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

The engine that was in the car when I bought it was an extremely tired 1600DP with an autostick distributor, so it's possible that the entire engine had been pulled from an auto car at some point. But the engine, while it ran enough to load the car onto and off of the delivery trailer, it made some of the worst noise I've ever heard an engine make (more on that later).
But since the original plan had been to build a patina ride with a bigger engine, I really didn't care what was in it when I bought it. But I did know that I needed to find a better starting point because the engine in the car had like half an inch of endplay.

I found a recently rebuilt stock AE-case 1600DP locally that a guy had built for his sandrail. When I bought it he left it on the rail so I could hear it run. He and I pulled the engine and loaded it into the back of my wife's Subaru Outback. Once home, my awesome wife helped me load it into the garage and got oil on her hands for the first time! Laughing Laughing

Previously owned:

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

After finding the new engine around the end of the summer in 2019, everything basically sat untouched through that winter. Having a car in the garage that winter that I wasn't working on, I began to really think what I wanted to do with it, especially after seeing the direction Ghias had begun trending on BAT. With 2020 coming up, I'd be turning 40 that year and I thought that if I was ever going to do a full-on complete restoration, that now was the time while I was still young and able-bodied Laughing

Also that winter I began hearing talk of a virus outbreak in Asia. Talk of it spreading. Then that spring as we all know came the Covid lockdowns. March of 2020 everything was shutdown, I had nothing to do, so I thought why the hell not. I got out my DA sander and went to it. Every day at 4pm I'd roll the car out into the driveway and sand until 7pm. Then spray down the bare metal I'd uncovered that day with Ospho. It took me the entire month of March and a little into April to completely strip the car.

I was so happy to find that the tops of the front fenders and headlight areas were so clean

Previously owned:

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Completely stripped and engine out. Although since I knew the nose and driver side lower rear fender would be replaced, I didn't bother stripping those down.

The battery tray here is obviously quite roached, and composed of mostly bondo and who knows what. I picked up a year-correct replacement battery tray from Wagner-Blechteile in Germany. The replacement battery trays available from US suppliers are only correct for 72-74 cars.

Previously owned:

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

I mentioned earlier about the engine that came with the car making horrible noises and running terribly. Here we can see what was at least part to blame. Some rodent at some past time had made its nest in the fan shroud, which ultimately blocked all cooling air to the 1-2 bank, causing that side to overheat. I wouldn't be surprised if the head on that side was cracked or valves dropped. But at any rate it doesn't matter because this engine is going to sit under the shelving in my garage for the time being.

Lesson here is that if you ever get a Ghia running that's been sitting for long periods of time, pull the fan shroud before you drive it anywhere and make sure there's nothing blocking the cooling air.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Since I'd now made the decision to go full on resto with this car, I knew I was going to need replacement panels for the nose, battery tray, and driver side lower rear fender.
I first bought a repro nose from CIP1 during one of their sales, and was really unhappy with the quality. The center bead was completely lopsided. (I have this repro nose panel for sale in the classifieds, BTW!)

So I figured I would have to find a clean original nose. And I'd also have to find a clean original lower rear fender, since there are no reproductions for the pre-67 lower rear fenders. Then something popped up in the samba classifieds about an hour from me outside of Raleigh. A stripped out 64 vert for $500, with a clean nose and a clean lower rear fender. I got my buddy to hitch up his trailer and we headed out there, and brought it back to my house.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

I cut way more off the donor car than I knew I would need. While I am pretty decent at MIG welding, I knew this kind of work was well beyond my skill level, and I would have a local shop that specializes in restoring air-cooled cars do the work. I didn't know where they would want to cut, so I figured it'd be better to give them way more to work with than not enough

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

In May 2020 I turned 40, and my awesome wife had The Cupcake Shoppe in downtown Raleigh make this Ghia cake for me!

Previously owned:

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

So now I had my car in bare metal and I had a donor car for metal I'd need. The next step was getting the body off the pan. I built some wooden supports and on Memorial Day weekend 2020 my wife and I had a few other couples we're friends with over for some grilling, and my friends helped me lift the body up onto the stands. I was really surprised at just how light the body is

Previously owned:

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Great to see another build thread, especially a 66.
Popcorn

Thanks, there's loads more to come! Cool

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

The next step was new floor pans. I bought the pans from Volkstory BKK, and when they arrived they looked to be really nice quality. These are also the only pans I'm aware of that are correct for pre-72 cars. I also bought repro seat tracks that a Samba member was making for a short time and selling here in the classifieds.
There's a shop here in Raleigh that specializes in restoring 356's and early 911's and 912's. They did a clutch tube repair on the 67 Ghia I owned several years ago before I'd learned to weld. They did great work, were fairly priced, and most importantly the owners were great and I've gotten to know them pretty well. I decided I would farm out the floorpan replacement to them.

The shop said the Volkstory pans fit almost perfectly right out of the box, and that they were much better quality than the Dansk pans that US-based retailers sell (which are only technically correct for 72-74 cars anyway due to the heater vent cable channel in them that arches through the front half of the pans).

Previously owned:

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

To make sure the seat tracks were properly spaced and placed, I took my seats up there for a test fit. Perfect!

Previously owned:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: