Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Ghia coupe restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
Copy. From your photos, it looks like everything at the banjo/caliper is flush and should seal. Very odd. I guess I'll let you know how mine goes, Airkewld shipped my lines today. I do have to run the Daytona 24 hour next week and then straight to Sebring for a test but should be able to install mine when I return in a couple of weeks.

Out of curiosity, are both lines leaking L/R?

Woah, that's awesome. You race professionally?

Couldn't say if both are leaking. Started at passenger side rear furthest from MC and it leaked straight away. I'm not going to get a good bleed on the driver side with fluid coming out on the other side, so I haven't tried that side yet.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
overboost wrote:
Copy. From your photos, it looks like everything at the banjo/caliper is flush and should seal. Very odd. I guess I'll let you know how mine goes, Airkewld shipped my lines today. I do have to run the Daytona 24 hour next week and then straight to Sebring for a test but should be able to install mine when I return in a couple of weeks.

Out of curiosity, are both lines leaking L/R?

Couldn't say if both are leaking. Started at passenger side rear furthest from MC and it leaked straight away. I'm not going to get a good bleed on the driver side with fluid coming out on the other side, so I haven't tried that side yet.

Yes, professional racing for a living 33 years this 2022 season. I run all the electronics in the cars, data and video acquisition. Fortunate to love what I do.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Guys,
I pieced together a similar setup on my rear brakes. I found that I needed a "short" single banjo bolt rather than the standard length single bolt. It (the std. length bolt) bottomed out before it crushed the copper washer. Not sayin' that's your problem, but it fixed my issue.

Short bolt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Original "single" banjo bolt

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Guys,
I pieced together a similar setup on my rear brakes. I found that I needed a "short" single banjo bolt rather than the standard length single bolt. It (the std. length bolt) bottomed out before it crushed the copper washer. Not sayin' that's your problem, but it fixed my issue.

What size is the short bolt that you went with?
The one in the Airkewld kit is 10mm x 1.0

It is leaking as though it's bottoming out, but it's nowhere near like your longer bolt. Mine looks like your "short" bolt, but all it takes is less than a hair's width for it to leak

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:
overboost wrote:

Yes, professional racing for a living 33 years this 2022 season. I run all the electronics in the cars, data and video acquisition. Fortunate to love what I do.

That is amazing. If I could go back I'd tell my parents to forget the little league soccer and T-ball, and get me into a kart. I'm a member at Rush Hour Karting here in Raleigh. It's kind of the karting equivalent of beer league hockey. Very amateur level but still such an adrenaline rush. That's very cool you do it for real, and get paid for it. Congrats man!

Previously owned:
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
slayer61 wrote:
Guys,

What size is the short bolt that you went with?
The one in the Airkewld kit is 10mm x 1.0

It is leaking as though it's bottoming out, but it's nowhere near like your longer bolt. Mine looks like your "short" bolt, but all it takes is less than a hair's width for it to leak

Mine was a 10mm X 1.0 of course, as that describes the diameter and thread pitch.

I got mine from Summit Racing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gdr-sn9920331sbk

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

The length of the threaded area on those is definitely shorter than the ones that come in the Airkewld kit. I'll give them a try. Maybe I am bottoming out

Previously owned:
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
The length of the threaded area on those is definitely shorter than the ones that come in the Airkewld kit. I'll give them a try. Maybe I am bottoming out
Yeah, I ordered a set as well just in case. Unfortunately Summit was out of stock and is supposed to ship mid February.
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

The bolt is not the problem. It is the perfect length.

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:
Thank you Airkewld. I just want to be prepared for anything. I hate having the Ghia down for any reason. It drives me crazy when it is up in the air so I like to complete my projects in a day or two. Excited to get my lines and get my brakes on.

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:
Yeah, I ordered a set as well just in case. Unfortunately Summit was out of stock and is supposed to ship mid February.

The shorter bolts worked liked a charm! I was able to bleed both sides without even a hint of seepage or leaks. The longer bolts in the Airkewld kit were definitely bottoming out. Maybe they're meant for different calipers, I dunno.

Overboost, I saw the summit ones were also out of stock, so I found these on ebay. They're chrome, which I think looks better with the rest of the chrome hardware than the black does. I wanted to wait until I verified they worked before sharing the link for them
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115145824214?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Now my brakes are all bled, my trans leak is fixed...all that's left to do is install the pan seal and go get my body from the paint shop Very Happy

Previously owned:
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Nice. Well done Sir. Cool

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Nice. Well done Sir. Cool

All thanks to you, man! Much appreciated for tip on the shorty 10x1 bolts Very Happy

Previously owned:
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
overboost wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

The shorter bolts worked liked a charm! I was able to bleed both sides without even a hint of seepage or leaks. The longer bolts in the Airkewld kit were definitely bottoming out. Maybe they're meant for different calipers, I dunno.

Overboost, I saw the summit ones were also out of stock, so I found these on ebay. They're chrome, which I think looks better with the rest of the chrome hardware than the black does. I wanted to wait until I verified they worked before sharing the link for them
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115145824214?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Now my brakes are all bled, my trans leak is fixed...all that's left to do is install the pan seal and go get my body from the paint shop Very Happy

Awesome Era! Good to know. I will try to get a set ordered this weekend. A little busy for the next couple of days. Very Happy

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/impc/rs1-porsche-quickest-in-opening-practice-at-daytona/
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:

Era Vulgaris wrote:
overboost wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

So, without trying to sound like I'm poking the bear... What's up with the banjo bolt length? My excuse is just this... I scrounged some parts that were left over from a motorcycle project for my first dry fit. Once I realized the bolts were too short, I just ordered "short" ones. I'm kind of ashamed to say I don't even know the length of either bolts Embarassed I just knew the standard ones were too long.

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Just arrived. Looks like it's all there Cool

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Just arrived from Volkzbitz. The pics don't do it justice. Tim did a fantastic job turning a gnarly old carb into something that looks brand new

Previously owned:
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Just arrived from Volkzbitz. The pics don't do it justice. Tim did a fantastic job turning a gnarly old carb into something that looks brand new

Beautiful!
He just shipped out my rebuilt Solex 30 Pict-1 for the convertible.
Your pic has me very anxious!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:

Beautiful!

I almost feel bad installing such a pristine carb on an engine, like it should be going in a display case or something Laughing

Previously owned:
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:

Beautiful!

I almost feel bad installing such a pristine carb on an engine, like it should be going in a display case or something Laughing

I felt the same way. Spent the winter tearing the engine down to long block so I could attempt clean it enough that the carb won't stick out.
Now that I see your result I believe it's been a fools errand!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: