Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Ghia coupe restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Alright so I'm test fitting my headliner and could really use some pointers from you guys that have done this before. I did read through all the headliner threads I could find, but nothing I could find addressed the problems I'm having.
I'm only test fitting right now - no glue yet - because I didn't realize the TMI headliners come with perforated vinyl for the A and C pillars. So I had to order some extra bulk smooth vinyl, which is correct for my car.

So while I'm waiting for the smooth vinyl to arrive I thought I'd give the headliner a test fit. And goddam I see why so many of the threads I read, people said they just paid someone to do this!

I'm getting pretty good tension in the majority of the central area. Two questions:
1. I'm getting wrinkles that I can't stretch out where the bows meet the roof. Do I need to cut away more of the sleeve that the bows are in?
2. What the hell do I do in the corners? The more I stretch outward in all 4 directions to get rid of wrinkles, the more material I have piling up in the corners. If I was sewing, I'd make a dart, but I know I can't do that. What's the solution?
Massive thanks in advance!
I really want to know what I'm doing here before I commit to putting adhesive on the car!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

You have to make relief cuts on the corners. Very small ones, one at a time and use clips on the gutters to stretch the material athwartships first, which will reveal where the cuts are needed. Do it on a warm day when the vinyl will stretch but don’t use a heat gun.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
You have to make relief cuts on the corners. Very small ones, one at a time and use clips on the gutters to stretch the material athwartships first, which will reveal where the cuts are needed. Do it on a warm day when the vinyl will stretch but don’t use a heat gun.

Awesome thanks, I'll give that a try after I get the pillar vinyl on.

I've got clips all the way up and down the gutters. Just a little difficult to see in the pic. I'm thinking I might need to cut the bow sleeves back a little, because I can't pull those wrinkles out on the two center bows where they meet the gutter. I've pulled til my damn fingers are sore, lol! Or will those smooth out after I get the corners tight?

Dont need to worry about temps. Still mid 80's to low 90's with decent humidity for the next couple weeks at least!

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Quote:
athwartships

Would be amusing to hear a German trying to pronounce this- "US vart sheeps". Smile
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Awesome thanks, I'll give that a try after I get the pillar vinyl on.

I've got clips all the way up and down the gutters. Just a little difficult to see in the pic. I'm thinking I might need to cut the bow sleeves back a little, because I can't pull those wrinkles out on the two center bows where they meet the gutter. I've pulled til my damn fingers are sore, lol! Or will those smooth out after I get the corners tight?

Dont need to worry about temps. Still mid 80's to low 90's with decent humidity for the next couple weeks at least!

Yes I forgot to mention that you usually. Have to cut back the bow pockets so the material can hang down.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

My Newton square weave carpet is here. I've got a good bit of work to do still before this goes in, but it's one big ticket item off the "to buy" list

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Goddamn TMI. In the background is their #15 off-white perforated vinyl headliner. The three smooth vinyl samples are left to right #14 beige, #15 off-white, and #22 cream white.
And along the bottom of the pic you can see the #15 off-white bulk smooth vinyl that I bought to do the A and C-pillars, thinking it would match the headliner.
Why the hell is their smooth vinyl off-white a different color than their perforated off-white?! The cream white is close but it's whiter than the headliner. I guess I have to do my pillars in perforated vinyl then. Damn annoying!

Previously owned:
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Why the hell is their smooth vinyl off-white a different color than their perforated off-white?!
I don't see a "#15 off white" perforated headliner in my circa 2004 TMI samples catalog. Of course what I have may be out of date in which case ignore this post and carry on. But what I have in hand shows that those materials have different color number codes. The off white that their smooth vinyl comes in is "#15 off white", while their standard perforated headliner is "#44 off white" and their premium heavy weight perforated headliner is "#44H off white". For their headliners the "#44H off white" is slightly darker than the "#44 off white", but it's possible you might find their "#46 grey" perforated headliner a closer match to your "#15 off white" smooth vinyl. Trying to compare colors across computer monitors can be an exercise in futility, but FWIW here's a composite photo of the relevant two pages from the TMI samples catalog in which you may be able to discern the color number code labels below the various samples. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Damn, you're right. I ordered the headliner from CIP1, and they don't list the color number, only the name. I see now the 44 is in the part number, but I didn't look that deep. Silly me I made the mistake of thinking two vinyls with the same color name from the same company would be the same color Confused

Oh well, no biggie. Would've been nice to have the smooth vinyl pillars, but it's all installed now so there's no going back. At least now I know for the next one!

Previously owned:
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
I ordered the headliner from CIP1...
When I was planning my Ghia's interior I recall finding it challenging to contact TMI directly; it seemed necessary to work with a dealer, i.e., middleman. I was lucky to find a middleman with full knowledge and understanding of TMI's products willing to take the time to explain the surprising (to me) extent of TMI's offerings and the intricacies of ordering for me to understand exactly what I was getting. TMI doesn't always have what you want, but sometimes you find... Wink
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

2 things I've caught on to so far:
Never throw anything away, and can't assume anything. Embarassed

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

About the headliner... I'm curious to know the final length of the bow pockets. I've done a few searches and no one pinpoints the exact length they should be. I got my headliner from Sewfine and the bow pockets are about 40 inches. I get the impression they are cut to length but I can't be sure. Let us know where you end up with yours.

As for the A and C pillars, I stupidly threw my old pillar covers out... wish I hadn't since I could have use them for a template. This picture from the Ghia couipe gallery shows the original look and cut of the material at the bottom of the C-pillar, along with the line of the headliner on top.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Bow pockets nearly always have to be trimmed to match the curve of t(e roof so you don’t get wrinkles. It’s trial and hopefully no error. Just make small cuts until the wrinkle is gone.
Rome, I bought a TMI headliner for my Squareback and the there is a lot of smooth vinyl used on the pillars and below the window area and it’s an exact match to the perforated suspended part of the headliner. These days you can call TMI direct and order. I’d ask them about that. What you ordered is seat upholstery…

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
About the headliner... I'm curious to know the final length of the bow pockets. I've done a few searches and no one pinpoints the exact length they should be. I got my headliner from Sewfine and the bow pockets are about 40 inches. I get the impression they are cut to length but I can't be sure. Let us know where you end up with yours.

As for the A and C pillars, I stupidly threw my old pillar covers out... wish I hadn't since I could have use them for a template. This picture from the Ghia couipe gallery shows the original look and cut of the material at the bottom of the C-pillar, along with the line of the headliner on top.

Having just done the headliner, I think it might be difficult to make definitive statements about lengths of anything. My advice is to trial fit it first with no glue and a crapload of binder clips. Just keep stretching and trimming until you get as much of the wrinkles out as possible. That way when you actually do use the glue, your chances of a screw up are minimized. I did end up trimming the bow pockets back a bit from the ends, maybe a couple inches. I couldn't say a definite length, I just kept trimming until I could stretch it with no wrinkles.

I actually kept my original A and C pillar vinyl, which was a totally different off-white color to all the other off-whites Rolling Eyes
I sketched the outline out in pencil on the backside of the vinyl, but I quickly realized as soon as I started stretching it out over the pillars that going by any previous guide was useless. Just keep stretching til it's smooth and where you want it.
I dunno, maybe folks who've done a bunch of these might have better advice! Laughing

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

I'm at a bit of an impasse here and thought I'd see if folks here had any advice. When I bought the car it had cal-look seals on it, and the front windshield looked clean with no de-lamination. When I took the car apart I saw it did have de-lamination hidden below the seal, but it didn't occur to me at the time that the OEM seal is shorter than the cal-look seal (you can see a residue line from where the cal-look seal sat on the glass above the de-lamination. I need to clean it better!)

The problem I have here is that there is 2-3mm of de-lamination visible along the bottom of the windshield with the seal fully seated. I feel like I already know what the answer is gonna be, but is there anything I can do about this?

The car does have all its original glass it left the factory with, which is why I hate to buy an aftermarket windshield. I'm trying to convince myself this isn't a huge deal, but I'm not finding myself very convincing Laughing

Previously owned:
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
I feel like I already know what the answer is gonna be...
Go with your gut Wink
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:
I feel like I already know what the answer is gonna be...
Go with your gut Wink

Yeah, I mean...I know! Wink

I guess the better question I should ask, since I'm building this car to eventually sell...is it better to have original factory glass that has a small bit of visible de-lamination, or aftermarket glass? That's the question that I can't seem to answer for myself, imagining if I was the one buying the car

Previously owned:
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

I got a guy to sandblast the original markings on my replacement screen

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I got a guy to sandblast the original markings on my replacement screen

Nicholas

Now that is a cool idea!

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

A little bit of progress everyday (well, maybe not every day! Laughing ) keeps it moving along

Previously owned:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 17

Jump to: