Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Under fender rock ding protection?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Under fender rock ding protection? Reply with quote

I don't know where to place this query! So here it is.

Summer 2019, I drove my 67 to my SIL and Daughters ranch a couple of times.
They live off the end of a paved road (2.5 miles) that transitions to gravel.
The gravel is like 2.5" minus.
I noticed later, while washing the grunge off the car. That there were small under fender dings that are standing proud of the basic fender profile on the outside of the fenders.

The family plan is to have me move to the ranch in the next couple of years.

I plan on using my 67 as my commuter car.
With the gas prices at elevated levels. Filling my Tundra's 38 gallon tank 2 times a week is cost prohibitive.

Onto the question, Does anyone make, or has anyone made an inner fender liner, somewhat like what we have on our newer modern cars?

I'm thinking of something like a hard nylon, black inner fender liner type of material, to prevent more rock dings from the gravel being thrown off the tires.

I have read a few threads on undercoating. But in my mind. Undercoating will not prevent the under fender rock dings from appearing.
Same thought process on "BedLiner." I don't see how it could prevent under fender dings from appearing on the outside of the fenders.

Any of you folks have a good idea to prevent under fender dings?

Thank you form putting up with my stupid question.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Under fender rock ding protection? Reply with quote

I’ve been thinking about the same thing too but more for rust protection. I’ve thought about a fiberglass overlay fender liner. I don’t think it’d work great on a beetle but on a more flat bus I’ve seen plastic corrugated sing board uses. Stuff like a yard campaign sign would use to put the information on.

Type 3s had a rock guard from the factory that was thick, it worked well at stopping rock chips but caused rust under seams. Here is a thread to look at https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=749897&highlight=rock+guard
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Under fender rock ding protection? Reply with quote

Rhino Liner or similar spray-on bedliner. Easiest thing to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Under fender rock ding protection? Reply with quote

Made many of them when I was driving my bugs 80-100 miles a day with 22 of it being dirt roads and cow trails Laughing
I had a pattern from an old bug I parted out. Mostly I used old bathtub surround material which worked fairly well. I think I still have the old liner somewhere Shocked
Sure saved on the fender paint dimples Wink
You don't need to do the whole fender only about the rear third or so
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Under fender rock ding protection? Reply with quote

Does your car have aftermarket fenders by chance? I can't help but wonder if they're thinner metal than the originals and that's why they dented so easily? I only ask this because I've put tons of gravel road miles on Beetles over the years, and other than chipped paint, I never saw dents push through to the outside. I know that doesn't make a difference now- you still need a way to stop it from happening.
I do like the Rhino Liner idea. You could DIY that easily enough.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Under fender rock ding protection? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I don't know where to place this query! So here it is.

Summer 2019, I drove my 67 to my SIL and Daughters ranch a couple of times.
They live off the end of a paved road (2.5 miles) that transitions to gravel.
The gravel is like 2.5" minus.
I noticed later, while washing the grunge off the car. That there were small under fender dings that are standing proud of the basic fender profile on the outside of the fenders.

The family plan is to have me move to the ranch in the next couple of years.

I plan on using my 67 as my commuter car.
With the gas prices at elevated levels. Filling my Tundra's 38 gallon tank 2 times a week is cost prohibitive.

Onto the question, Does anyone make, or has anyone made an inner fender liner, somewhat like what we have on our newer modern cars?

I'm thinking of something like a hard nylon, black inner fender liner type of material, to prevent more rock dings from the gravel being thrown off the tires.

I have read a few threads on undercoating. But in my mind. Undercoating will not prevent the under fender rock dings from appearing.
Same thought process on "BedLiner." I don't see how it could prevent under fender dings from appearing on the outside of the fenders.

Any of you folks have a good idea to prevent under fender dings?

Thank you form putting up with my stupid question.

Yes.....

What the factory put on VW 411/$12 and some type 3....a lot of Porsche 911 and 912, many BMW and Mercedes.....the "Wurth Stone guard"....is just superb. absolutely bulletproof and very hard like ceramic but with enough flex to last.

You can buy it by the gallon from Wurth and apply it with a cheap "shut gun"....plenty online about this....or you an buy it in aerosol cans. The aerosol cans do excellently but the Porsche and Mercedes guys bitch that its just a bit smoother than the factory texture when it is applied from spray can.

It is the exact same product as the rock guard under the paint on teh rockers of most European cars and VW's of that era.

And.....Wurth also cans thisstuff as house brand for NAPA Wink ....same stuff. It comes in white, tan, dark brown, black.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Go to page two of my thread and scroll down to my last looooong entry...which was about completely undercoating my 412 front end last November.

This stuff is damned awesome. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: