Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hunting sticky
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

What does anyone think about a hunting baja sticky? We have a couple other type off road stickies.
I'm trying to build a mild all round hunting/fishing capable buggy. Mild 1600 nothing more..
I have 2 polaris atv and just finished a great trip through new mexico and nowhere did I go my bug would have gone and been very comfortable.
The downside of open type vehicles is cold and wind. I see many razors etc.
Very expensive but cold and windy.
Food for thought.

When I get my buggy a little more photo worthy I'll post some pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

I intend to use my sand rail for this. There are two disadvantages, first as you say is the weather thing and the second is that you sit low and there are better vehicles for visibility in that respect. I have been doing some scouting already on a dirt bike. Visibility is excellent but it is a cold ride.

A Beetle will be a wee bit taller but being enclosed you will want a functional heat/defrost system or the windows will fog over quickly in cool weather. You could run with the side windows open but then it's no different than your Polaris. Some guys here were buying the Japanese mini trucks for this purpose. They are much cheaper than a quad or a side by side and do have 4 wheel drive and a heating system.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

I somewhat agree. However, MONEY is everything and I have very little
When it comes to toys.
Elk hunting/scouting for the most part is sneaking. Not saying My bug is quiet by any means but I can hear an atv of any size 300 yards away .
I thought maybe guys on here might be interested in things that would enhance a bug for
this purpose.
Thanks for your thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

I d be interested in at least an on going thread about this if not a sticky. not because I need one for hunting but just because I like seeing new ideas.
about 5 years ago a built a buggy we called the "golf cart buggy", just because it looked like a rail buggy version of a golf cart. seats sat up higher, had a tilt bed on it, under seat and under hood storage. I built it to be little trail / camping rig for the family.

just a couple months ago I picked up an ugly, Beverly hillbillies looking buggy that's probably been sitting in the weeds for the better part of a decade. it has a bed, a partly enclosed cab with little half doors, gun rack in the back "window " and an rv type trailer plug up front...
my guess is it was someone's hunting rig years ago.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

^^ what I was thinking.
I always looking to make my bug an everythingmobile.
Not to be pretty. Albeit part of the charm of the bug.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:
I somewhat agree. However, MONEY is everything and I have very little
When it comes to toys.
Elk hunting/scouting for the most part is sneaking. Not saying My bug is quiet by any means but I can hear an atv of any size 300 yards away .
I thought maybe guys on here might be interested in things that would enhance a bug for
this purpose.
Thanks for your thoughts.

You don't use it for the stalking part...

You use it for getting the meat out.

But yes....I would love to know some tips to making my bug out rail quieter. I swear half the noise doesn't come from the pipe....but from the engine body itself.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

I believe what I have is a empi quiet pack also, when there's no load or idling down a trail
It's fairly quiet for bird hunting along the Rio grand.
There is NO SNEAKING up on elk with a vehicle, imo as far as quieting the
Drive train, is it possible?
At this point my engine is hanging out in the breeze, maybe fashion some tin around it?
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

well if closing the engine in is on the table, why not set the rear half of a beetle over the back of the rail? or maybe rear , roof, and windshield frame
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
well if closing the engine in is on the table, why not set the rear half of a beetle over the back of the rail? or maybe rear , roof, and windshield frame

I know what you are getting at, but visibility inside a normal vehicle with roof, doors, etc, is a fraction of what an open frame is.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

that's true but nothing says you can't cut away that sheet metal that's blocking your view either.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

I suggest something like an EMPI Sportster with an enclosed cab.

From the Samba:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Even has a bed to carry critters out.

Type 3 flat fan engine.

VW Bus might be a cool start too.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

I had a rolled over Westy that I bought for parts. At one time I considered cutting the roof off at the belt line and using it as is to hunt gophers but it didn’t happen. I ended up parting it out.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I had a rolled over Westy that I bought for parts. At one time I considered cutting the roof off at the belt line and using it as is to hunt gophers but it didn’t happen. I ended up parting it out.

I could see using it for hunting deer, elk, maybe even bears...but gophers? Shocked You guys must grow awful big gophers in your part of Canada.
Cool What kind of fertilizer do you put on your lawns?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Ha,Ha!! Lawns! Yup lawns come 160 acers at a time here!

I highly suspect you have never hunted these cagy little critters so maybe I can put a little light on it for you. They live in colonies of up to several hundred individuals and wipe out several acers of crop around thier burrows. You hunt them with small caliber rifles with limited range because due to their small size and large numbers it's the only economical way to do it.

However they are a cagy lot and when one whistles DANGER they all disappear down thier holes and just peek out and watch you. Their eyes are very close to the top of their heads so not only are they very hard to see but present a target in that stance smaller than a dime!

Now the trick is... seeing as they are accustomed to farm machinery (Coyotes, Foxes and Badgers come on foot) and pickup trucks, you drive around the field slowly, stopping now and then and they are not spooked by that so much. Traditionally the shooters ride in the bed of the truck for a height/visibility advantage. An old VW Bus with it's 3 rows of seats and the roof cut off would be the ideal vehicle. It would provide comfort, height and 360* visibility without the fuel consumption of a V8. A good day's shooting with a hand full of guys can result in several thousand hits. It's not uncommon to get in a good patch and get 300 in a couple hours. Great recreation and a good deed done for the farmer!

The only other viable control method involves poison and is not only inhumane but wipes out the raptors and 4 legged predators too so it's a bit counter productive.

My sand rail by the way works pretty good for this but does not have the height advantage I would like.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Interesting story, about 20 years ago I bought a 40 acre farm with irrigation rights.
Every two weeks we got a 30 hour allotment of water, the first 8 or so hours was plugging
Gopher holes in our irrigation ditch.. needless to say a real pita. At the time I had a old toyota pickup , in between irrigation I would walk a half acre or so at a time and stomp the Gopher mounds flat then drive my pu to a main Gopher hole attach a 8' piece of flex exhaust pipe
To the exhaust the other end in the Gopher hole run the truck at idle for 10-15 minutes.
Once I started doing this once a week for a couple months it severely hurt the Gopher
Population.
I tried shooting them but way too many.. good times
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

I just stacked a couple automotive mufflers on mine and it's very quiet. There's even a super trapp on the end behind the shield. I get comments all the time about how quiet the thing is.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Now that is not pretty but mine is well on it's way to being much the same. Lots of volume is the key and you just can't hide that!
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Never saw that coming,
I'm gonna have to look at this option a little closer.
Thanks
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

I'd be curious to know how much hp the dual mufflers rob?
unless it's allout race, I bet it doesn't rob as much as you'd think...

on another note, I'm always amazed how much a turbo will quiet vw exhaust. and I just run a short little down pipe after the turbo
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Yes a turbo-ed engine is loudest at idle and light throttle and gets quieter as it comes on boost.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: