Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Have recently installed a new 1600 engine in my beetle. I am able to shift into all gears except first. I have adjusted at the shift plate on the gear shift several times and removed the rear seat access plate to make sure that the bolt is firmly seated in the proper indentation. It looks like third gear can move the shaft back further than first gear. I have re-filled the transmission with the proper hypoid gear oil. (The car had been sitting quite a while.) I am thinking that a short drive using the remaining gears might be in order (?) Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle Reply with quote

I would check the shifter ball, and also the condition of the plastic rod bushing.
paddyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you KTPhil. I installed a new shifter ball. I will double-check the plastic rod bushing.
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Are you still using the original 65 transmission?

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle Reply with quote

I third checking Rod bushing.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paddyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle Reply with quote

I replaced the transmission about 15,000 miles ago with a new one from “Transform”—a company specializing in VW trannys and it operated well with the original 1200 40 hp engine for several years. I have not operated this transmission for the past 18 years. During the restoration process, I drained the transmission and refilled it with fresh gear oil.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle Reply with quote

If you do replace the bushing, check the advice in the threads about it. Some plastics are bad, some are poorly made, and you must check the fit of the clamping ring before you install it. Those are often poorly made or distorted or too tight/loose, and you will have to do the job all over again.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157519
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662961

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Disconnect the rear coupling and then see if you can engage first gear manually there.

It'll be pretty obvious then whether the problem is your linkages or your internals.
paddyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice on this matter. As suggested, I replaced the bushing, did some additional lubrication and made some adjustments at the shifter. I then took it for a short 15 minute drive and finally got it into first Smile (The drive reminded me to adjust the steering as well.) I am now on my way. Appreciate the help!!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Once you remove the gamblit housing, the donneley nut spacing and crackedsystem must be rim riding the gripet configuration.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Unable to shift into first gear--1965 Beetle Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Once you remove the gamblit housing, the donneley nut spacing and crackedsystem must be rim riding the gripet configuration.

Don't forget the pin-flam-fastened pan traps at both maiden-apexes of the jim-joist. Laughing

Type 3
1968 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: